RIP Tony Scott

Bludd

Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
Veteran
Shocking news

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-tony-scott-20120820,0,398891.story

"Top Gun" director Tony Scott jumped to his death from the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro on Sunday afternoon. He was 68.

His body was pulled out of the water by Los Angeles Port Police, who were the first on the scene.

Several witnesses told police they saw Scott get out of his Toyota Prius, which was parked on the bridge, about 12:30 p.m. Then he scaled an 8- to 10-foot fence and jumped off without any hesitation, law enforcement sources said.

A source said officials looked inside the car and determined it belonged to the famed action-movie director and producer. A note listing contact information was inside. A suicide note was later found in his office. Its contents were not revealed.

I'm not sure what movies other than Top Gun of his that I've seen (his name is not known to me), but he seems to have been very well liked within the actor and director fraternities, so it's sad to see him go that way.

May you rest in peace.

I'm not sure what movies other than Top Gun of his that I've seen (his name is not known to me), but he seems to have been very well liked within the actor and director fraternities, so it's sad to see him go that way.

I'm sure you've seen:
The last boy scout
True romance
Enemy of the state

He was a lot less known than his brother.

R.I.P.

May you rest in peace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Scott#Filmography
The Hunger (1983)
Top Gun (1986)
Beverly Hills Cop II (1987)
Revenge (1990)
Days of Thunder (1990)
The Last Boy Scout (1991)
True Romance (1993)
Crimson Tide (1995)
The Fan (1996)
Enemy of the State (1998)
Spy Game (2001)
Man on Fire (2004)
Domino (2005)
Déjà Vu (2006)
The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009)
Unstoppable (2010)
as a 80/90's action movie fan he had some great movies

top gun, last boy scout, true Romance, would all be up there for me. They just dont make em like they used to :cry:.

Spy Game is my fav, though Man on Fire and True Romance are fantastic too. I just love the way Spy Game is told, the way it keeps everyone going for a loop.

Holy crap, he was Ridley Scott's brother?

Top Gun (1986)
Check. It was decent enough in the 80s, but feels very dated to me today.

Beverly Hills Cop II (1987)
Check. Great 80s movie, although maybe not quite up to the level of its predecessor.

Days of Thunder (1990)
Check. Pretty terrible, but probably not the director's fault, but rather the script.

Crimson Tide (1995)
Check. Pretty darn good action-thriller type movie; probably mostly because of Gene Hackman whom is an awesome force of an actor.

Enemy of the State (1998)
Check. Liked this one too. Also much because of Gene Hackman, even though he pretty much makes the same type of typecast character. A bit less belligerent than in Crimson Tide though.

He had inoperable brain cancer.

That's been the rumor but his family says it's not true...regardless the coroner's already done an autopsy so hopefully the truth will be revealed. Anyway I was just talking to my sister yesterday about movies...this was before we found out he killed himself...and she mentioned his Coma series on A&E which I didn't recognize the name and didn't know he was Ridley Scott's younger brother then today I hear on the radio he jumped off the bridge in San Pedro. :???:That area is actually where James Cameron shot the T2 helicopter chase scene. I also used to drive through that area all the time back when I worked in San Pedro. Anyway he has 2 young children.

Oh he also produced Prometheus and was scheduled to produce Prometheus 2. For those interested here's his filmography.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001716/

Last edited by a moderator:
True Romance is one of my favorite movies and this news is truly heart-wrenching. He will be missed.

Back