Puppeteer [PS3]

Playing this with my projector. The size really helps to convey the feeling of having a puppet theater in your living room. Man, what gorgeous game.

I heard good things about this game in 3D.
Gavin Moore explained about why it were so good in this PSNation-podcast, the ghosting is eliminated since the camera is staticly placed in the audience, and you get huge amounts of depth, since the stage is about 60 meters deep, and characthers come flying in and out to the camera.

And it's back to shit for act 4. I think the game succeeds a little to well in constantly changing up the gameplay. It introduces new things so fast you won't have the time to respond before you figure out what you're supposed to do. And before you get a handle on something it's gone and replaced by something new. It's kind of hard to appreciate this game when you're expected to rush through. Yet somehow still find all of the hidden extra's. I've already given up on that one.

The presentation is still as excellent as ever, but underneath that it's quite an average game.

Act 2, scene 1 and 2 completed. I don't see what the problem is Cornsnake? Gameplay is quite the same and as good as in Act 1 in my opinion.

Overall, very nice game so far.

Oh, and I tested the 3D mode...also quite nice! Fits well to this game.

I don't know, maybe this is not my type of game. I just find the platforming to inaccurate for some of the things it has you do. Some places have me dying over and over again by things that are hard to avoid. I don't feel like it was my fault half the time I die. It doesn't seem to matter for the number of lives I have though. All that dying and I still have over 40 lives left. But not all of is difficult. Act 5 was a lot easier, and a lot more fun.

I don't know, maybe this is not my type of game. I just find the platforming to inaccurate for some of the things it has you do. Some places have me dying over and over again by things that are hard to avoid. I don't feel like it was my fault half the time I die. It doesn't seem to matter for the number of lives I have though. All that dying and I still have over 40 lives left. But not all of is difficult. Act 5 was a lot easier, and a lot more fun.

I must say that I'm so confused about this game, opinions vary from gameplay is amazing/controls are spot on to gameplay is nothing special/controls are not as tight as they should've been...and a few reviewers that I trust criticized the game's controls and platforming/mechanics.

I'm wondering if it's another case of style over substance where the presentation which is indeed amazing from what I've seen makes people praise the game while ignoring "problems" on the gameplay side.

That being said I'm definitely buying this next week just to support the game, we need more platformers...too bad the game is not doing so well from what I've read plus Sony is totally ignoring the game, I went to two local shops here last week to get Rayman Legends and when I asked the guys in there when are they gonna bring the game they were both "pup...umm what?". :rolleyes:

I must say that I'm so confused about this game, opinions vary from gameplay is amazing/controls are spot on to gameplay is nothing special/controls are not as tight as they should've been...and a few reviewers that I trust criticized the game's controls and platforming/mechanics.

I'm wondering if it's another case of style over substance where the presentation which is indeed amazing from what I've seen makes people praise the game while ignoring "problems" on the gameplay side.

That being said I'm definitely buying this next week just to support the game, we need more platformers...too bad the game is not doing so well from what I've read plus Sony is totally ignoring the game, I went to two local shops here last week to get Rayman Legends and when I asked the guys in there when are they gonna bring the game they were both "pup...umm what?". :rolleyes:

Well, best is to form your own opinion I guess. I do not play that many platformers so I don't have much reference. With respect to gameplay, I would say

Ratchet&Clank > Pupeteer > LittleBigPlane

if you are willing to characterize R&C as a platformer.

I personally did not have any special problems in Act 2 so far...in fact I had the impression that the mini bosses at the end of each scene are a bit simple compared to Act 1 (but this could also be a getting familiar with the game effect).

And yes, the presentation is fantastic and overshadows everything else a bit due to its enormous (imo) quality. But still, gameplay is solid...and I guess that is in agreement with Cornsnake who judged it average.

The gameplay has it's ups and downs, overall its not as solid as I'd like it to be. I've beaten the game now, act's 6 and 7 were both enjoyable. I'd give the game 7.5 if I had to rate it. I wouldn't mind a sequel to give them a chance to improve upon the mechanics.

Having watched and played this a bit at a friend's house, I must say the presentation is fabulous. It's hard to think of a platformer that has done as good at job at presentation and storytelling. As to the platforming it is adequate but nothing terribly special. The most recent Rayman Legends game blows it away in the platforming department, IMO.

But still, that presentation is fantastic. Makes me want to play the game just to see the whole thing. And the mini-stories you get throughout a level by uncovering things with the cat or the sun princess are fantastic.

But the platforming. Yeah, adequate, decent, but not great. But I wouldn't hold that against the game. The rest of it is so damn well executed that, at least for me, I wouldn't care even if the platforming had been horrible. Fantastic looking game and fantastic experience.

Regards,
SB

I like it. As a matter of fact I actually think the overwrought presentation is its achilles heel. Not the platforming. Now the platforming is indeed not as tight as in Rayman, but it more than makes up for that through sheer inventiveness. The core mechanic of using the Calibrus is immensely satisfying. The boss battles in particular are very well done. If only it wasn't such a verbose-ass game.

Back