Nihilistic's - PS Vita Engine (Resistance & COD)

minimoke

Newcomer
Are the gaming press being overly harsh on Nihilistic's PS Vita Engine?

http://www.edge-online.com/opinion/what-does-black-ops-declassified-have-hide

I agree that Resistance on Vita was a very average game but is the game engine really that bad compared to similar portable FPS games?

My only complaint about Resistance from a technical standpoint was the low res textures and lack of AA but I think other aspects like lighting were quite good.

Looks like they used the same engine for COD Black Ops: Declassified but hopefully that can add some polish to it before the game launches in November.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gua8zVBDBh0

I played Resistance for the first time on the show floor and coming away quite impressed with the graphics (native res, quite good looking as far as I can tell) and excellent controls. So I'm guessing the major drawback is level design and very limited multiplayer options. I'm not an FPS buff though. And I do agree that they should have gone for 60fps for CoD unless they can get almost everything else identical to CoD with 30fps as its only drawback.

Are the gaming press being overly harsh on Nihilistic's PS Vita Engine?

http://www.edge-online.com/opinion/what-does-black-ops-declassified-have-hide

I agree that Resistance on Vita was a very average game but is the game engine really that bad compared to similar portable FPS games?

My only complaint about Resistance from a technical standpoint was the low res textures and lack of AA but I think other aspects like lighting were quite good.

Looks like they used the same engine for COD Black Ops: Declassified but hopefully that can add some polish to it before the game launches in November.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gua8zVBDBh0

I think that when you look at games like Uncharted GA and the new Assassin's Creed Liberation game, it certainly doesn't paint Nihilistic's work on CODBLOPS Vita in any positive light.

It's pretty obvious from those other games that the console is capable of far more than what they've achieved, and it makes me personally question whether this COD game is simply a quick and soulless port of the console COD game assets and game code, wrangling into a "new game", just to get something out quickly by the holidays.

The game is hideous, and certainly doesn't make me want to dip into my pockets to purchase it. I wouldn't call people overly harsh, rather in this day and age, and considering what other's have achieved on the Vita on games far more technically demanding (e.g. AC:Liberation - open world), Nihilistic really don't have any excuse for crapping out something that looks soooo bad.

I remember seeing the video of COD VITA and being pretty happy thinking "this must be 60 fps!". Then I learned that it wasn't....

if they can even get it to run at above 45 fps at worse case scenario then I am impress. Nihilistic biggest problem is their game design. Sony should have kept Zipper around a bit longer to get their Unit 13 team to work on the game. They would probably do a much better job.

Where the hell is Ready at Dawn ? and what is Bend Studios doing after Unchartyed? they are the ones who should get the AAA projects.
Thnak God that Killzone Mercenaries looks so awesome , otherwise I would have just lost hope of a good shooter on Vita.

I think people are beeing too harsh on Resistance: BS, it's a decent first attempt at a FPS from a company, especially at a new platform in launch-window.
I've not seen any handheld FPS playing better. :-/
I had fun playing through this tough, the things I didn't enjoy were the stuff wich made it feel more like CoD (and Resistance 2), rather than R1 and 3. - i.e. hide to heal instead of healthpacks.
But alot of stuff were brought over from R1/R3 to make it a fun game overall, like weaponwheel, alt-fire on all weapons, and weapon-levelling, I also liked the fact that you had to search for grey-tech to level the weapons instead of levelling by using them.
I didn't felt that they managed to capture the Resistance atmosphere entirely, atleast not as good as Insomniac, but I still had a fun time going through the game.
It's alot better than a 65 at metacritic.

I'm sure they will bring over alot of thing people like about CoD aswell even if I'm not amongst those people, I assume alot more work will be puit into the multiplayer, perks and skills, etc.
As for AA, that's not really a vital thing on the Vita-screen, the pixeldensity is so tight, that there won't be much jaggies you can see when playing anyway, atleast in my experience.
That seems mainly to be a problem when the footage are shown on other platforms.

Sony should have kept Zipper around a bit longer to get their Unit 13 team to work on the game. They would probably do a much better job.

Agreed, I think Unit 13 is one of the most underrated games on Vita. It's also very competent technically with some nice textures and lighting effects. I really hope SCEA use the Unit 13 engine for a Syphon Filter or SOCOM game:)

What I like most about the Vita's screen is the complete absence of lag. Games that update fast on it, like now for instance Sound Shapes, update so fast that I have to get used to it.

Where the hell is Ready at Dawn ? and what is Bend Studios doing after Unchartyed? they are the ones who should get the AAA projects.
Thnak God that Killzone Mercenaries looks so awesome , otherwise I would have just lost hope of a good shooter on Vita.

RaD and Bend deserve to pursue their own ideas, and game concepts. You don't want to waste that kind of talent on something as annual as COD. Whomever they get to do the Vita version will likely get roped into producing it every year forever and ever... not the kind of fate you wish upon a great devhouse

They seem to have substantially upgraded the graphics engine. After seeing AC:L, Uncharted, and Need for Speed it's obvious the Vita is capable of delivering the goods.

Back