Technical Comparison - Killzone 2/Killzone 3 vs Crysis 2 (console version)

Instead of having us measuring and comparing our cock we could also talk about amazing, incredible, and astonishing engines like the Dunia engine from Far Cry 2.

Along with Crysis and Frostbite 2 engine, if you add Dunia to the mix then you would have the best engine ever.

L. Scofield said:
I have. And I did months ago as well. Unless I missed something it doesn't give any hard numbers on the overall polycounts per frame but if I'm wrong and you can point out where in the presentation is this information given then I'll be thankful.

It shows the wireframes for several objects and scenes, showing the detail that goes into each component both at low level and at high level. From this it is quite possible to extrapolate numbers, assuming you can determine roughly which of the two LOD models you are seeing of any given object. And it shows a Killzone 3 version of a Killzone 2 multiplayer map in terms of detail shown, as well as how much bigger map sizes are in KZ3 by showing them next to each other.

There are no numbers given though, and it would be close to impossible, and certainly take too much time for me, to count them by hand and then do the same with a Crysis 2 scene, and then take into account how much is actually pushed through the pipe per frame, what is culled where, etc. To be honest, I still think it is blatently obvious and sometimes think you're just messing with me to be annoying, but whatever you're doing, it's working and I think you've 'won' (though I'm not sure what).

As for the other thread, I took part in that but it rarely led to a discussion of any substance, whereas this thread has already had a lot of interesting posts and discussion, even if it is interspersed with needless bickering and prancing. So I'd love to continue, but you seem to be hell bent on getting it closed for some reason.

It shows the wireframes for several objects and scenes, showing the detail that goes into each component both at low level and at high level. From this it is quite possible to extrapolate numbers, assuming you can determine roughly which of the two LOD models you are seeing of any given object. And it shows a Killzone 3 version of a Killzone 2 multiplayer map in terms of detail shown, as well as how much bigger map sizes are in KZ3 by showing them next to each other.

There are no numbers given though, and it would be close to impossible, and certainly take too much time for me, to count them by hand and then do the same with a Crysis 2 scene, and then take into account how much is actually pushed through the pipe per frame, what is culled where, etc. To be honest, I still think it is blatently obvious and sometimes think you're just messing with me to be annoying, but whatever you're doing, it's working and I think you've 'won' (though I'm not sure what).
I'm just thinking that if you're gonna claim that one is pushing more than the other you should have some hard data to back it up. That's it.

As for the other thread, I took part in that but it rarely led to a discussion of any substance, whereas this thread has already had a lot of interesting posts and discussion, even if it is interspersed with needless bickering and prancing. So I'd love to continue, but you seem to be hell bent on getting it closed for some reason.
It's B3D's policy that is against comparisons, not me, hence why I find strange that this thread has remained open for so long.

light prepass engine => have to Submit geometry twice
Fully defered => don't have to

*to keep in mind berfore starting any discussion on engine and polycount.

Wow ... This thread sucks, and is probably unrecoverable.

This thread probably should have started by collecting links to technical presentations. Then it could have agreed upon a list of topics to discuss. Then each topic could have been discussed, in order, until the dead horse was sufficiently beaten. And at the end, declaring a "winner" would be absolutely forbidden.

OP was masterful with his bail out. In any case, seems a more civil way to go about it would be to get info straight from the horse. They won't trash the other guy because that would be poor form, but you may learn about intent, cost of something, etc. Just be polite when asking!

Thanks for the post, Graham.

Edit:
I looked back at that slide image, which I thought was for Killzone 3, but is actually for Killzone 2. So, it looks like light accumulation in Killzone 2 was done LDR in gamma-space, but it seems that Killzone 3 has switched to Sony's "internal lighting solution", whatever that is, but likely some form of HDR for light accumulation. I guess fp16, or that LogLuv format.
KZ2 used Bëast lightmapper.
The internal lighting solution is most likely Arnold ray-tracer that Sony has started using on all their movies as production renderer.

Actual realtime lighting is LDR on both.

Wow ... This thread sucks, and is probably unrecoverable.

No it isn't. Aside from some bickering from some folks who simply can't discuss and debate in a reasonable manner - so they decided to throw a tantrum and insult this thread - this thread contain a lot of great information and one can learn a lot by reading and participating in it.

OP was masterful with his bail out.

I didn't "bail out" - what gave you that impression?:smile: I still keep track of this thread and carefully analyze it so that I could learn a thing or two.

No it isn't. Aside from some bickering from some folks who simply can't discuss and debate in a reasonable manner - so they decided to throw a tantrum and insult this thread - this thread contain a lot of great information and one can learn a lot by reading and participating in it.

Really? Out of 6 pages, there might be 5 or 6 somewhat useful posts of a "technical" nature as the thread title suggests.

Instead it's full of of people avoiding any technical discussion and instead just going on about what they think "looks" better.

Also starting out the thread as a Versus (which I, as well as others, thought was taboo on this forum) is just bad form in the first place. I've pretty much avoided talking in here as there is very little technical (being generous in saying there's even a little) discussion going on.

Regards,
SB

Really? Out of 6 pages, there might be 5 or 6 somewhat useful posts of a "technical" nature as the thread title suggests.

Instead it's full of of people avoiding any technical discussion and instead just going on about what they think "looks" better.

Also starting out the thread as a Versus (which I, as well as others, thought was taboo on this forum) is just bad form in the first place. I've pretty much avoided talking in here as there is very little technical (being generous in saying there's even a little) discussion going on.

Regards,
SB

Instead of avoiding it, you should better participate, better post meaningful technical aspects/your opinion and help to steer away the discussion from nonesense to usefulness - at the end, we B3D posters ourselves are responsible for the forum content and only by contributing you have a chance to improve the thread...

I for myself learned a lot in this thread, e.g. due to contributions of L.Scofield, Scott_Arm and especially due to the contribution of Graham.

I didn't "bail out" - what gave you that impression?:smile: I still keep track of this thread and carefully analyze it so that I could learn a thing or two.

You didn't appear engaged in the discussion after your initial post in my view. What have you learned from the discussion so far? More interested in that since you apparently analyzed the back and forth so far?

Lol, great thread!
I would really like to see a Halo vs Gears of War thread.

ontopic:
I believe KZ2 to be the more technical impressive game; in KZ3 many levels did have not so nice lighting, I am talking about colors. That's aesthetically. The snow level and the start was great though.
Compared to Crysis 2 though, which was an extremely sloppy port btw, Crysis still has the scale and effects imo.
Sony should have really sent some undercover PS3 developers to work at Crytec. As it stands now, the bugs take away from the technical accomplishment that Crysis 2 did.

Back