The Rise of Costs, the Fall of Gaming

I think we have shitloads of diversity on the different gaming platforms (not just consoles). Fun on the other hand is very personal. I think playing Sakura Taisen 3 (サクラ大戦3) is shitloads of fun, for others that would be boring as hell.

Amen to that brother :D

Dunno why I thought making a Star Wars reference and using a smiley would be enough for people to get I was half joking :(

Why would the costs continue to rise though? How much of these rising costs are a lot of "fluff", like hiring well known Hollywood actors for acting/voice acting (many times I feel like no name actors are better) or other such "I-want-to-be-a-movie-too" extravaganzas that we see so many games trying now. At one point the rising costs would be because of the added time it takes to make hi res models, textures, larger worlds and what not, at least that what "they" said. However, this whole gen and we had hires modelling and what not and on PCs for longer than that. So I don't get it that game creation need to get so much more expensive every new gen anymore...

Those are ancillary costs. The bulk of the cost to publish a game is in the salaries for the team (over the time required to develop the title), followed by marketing.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/23/ubisoft-ceo-ready-for-new-consoles/

I wonder how many people actually believe that current-gen consoles stifle the creation of new IPs?

Don't get me wrong, I can see how it can limit new (and old) IPs that are on the technically ambitious side. However I think the lack of new IPs in general is a product of existing expectations publishers have conditioned a lot of consumers into, and not a lot to do with the lack of a new console generation.

Back