I just lost my virginity, it would seem... Well, Biebginity, or whatever.

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
I've never actually heard a Justin Bieber song before. Like, NEVER, except for a 5-second or so soundbite when the brat has passed by in a news program or such. Then I turned on the radio this morning to Swedish P3 (which I pretty much never do), and there he was.

NO Justin... I just CAN'T be your girlfriend. Fuck off, alright?

I know many adults don't appreciate music made for the young generation, and I pride myself in not being one of those blockheads, but that kid is crap. Seriously.

Well, when music is aimed at a specific age group, that's usually a pretty good clue that it's crap. I have never heard the kid myself, though, but I have a feeling I'm not missing much.

I've seen full size Bieber poster in an office of one of our customers (mostly ladies working there). Shocking as average age of office staff I'm guessing at 28 y/o.
Personally I'm not at all interested in mainstream music of current age. I like melodies I already heard, like Mozart, Jarre, Oldfield, Chopin, Prodigy, Pendulum, Metallica, PinkFloyd, Red Hot Chilli, Juno Reactor, Aural Planet, Slayer, Schiller, Enigma, Daft Punk, etc.

Lately I found DROKK and immediately purchased this album. Bieber who? :D

I just witnessed a great 3 hour long marathon concert with Bruce Springsteen at this years Roskilde Festival. What an experience!

I suppose a 3 hour long concert with Justin Bieber would be considered suicidal by most standards, unless you are a teenage zombie or something.

My daughter got one of his CDs last year and drove me nuts playing it. Fortunately when shopping for a new school backpack last weekend I pointed out the Beiber one and she reacted to it as if it was leprous in nature. I asked and she said Beiber is very much out with the kids in her school.

Not that I understand why anyone would want a backpack with the mug of some random dude on it, "in" or not... Also, I personally would never prostitute myself to selling merchandise intended for kids with my appearance stamped all over it. Too effing freaky!

Hell, I'd do it just for all the 20-30 year old women that are drooling all over him. :D

I'm guessing that if you aren't a girl in her teens, a woman in her 20's or a woman in her 30's you probably won't like him. :p Which means pretty much everyone on this forum won't like him.

Regards,
SB

I bet you'd do it for a 10th of what bieber made last year.
Err, no I'm not that desperate for money. I have some personal morals, you know.

I don't approve of our current consumption-based society where most stuff is made just to be sold, bought and then thrown away so we can buy more stuff. It's unsustainable, and to personally then go and add to it feels very alien to me.

I don't approve of our current consumption-based society where most stuff is made just to be sold, bought and then thrown away so we can buy more stuff. It's unsustainable, and to personally then go and add to it feels very alien to me.

That's been going on for thousands of years. Nothing new there. It's just that it's only in the past 100 years or so when the non-rich people can afford to do it as well.

Disposable income is no longer the domain of the rich. And being able to buy and throw away things is no longer the domain of the rich.

Regards,
SB

That's true.

Cheers.

That's been going on for thousands of years.

That's essentiallly false.

Even not so long time ago, during the age of communism in large parts of Europe, people had their ideology, but it definitely wasn't consumption-oriented. :rolleyes:

The consumption-based society appeared maybe in the 90's and was emphasized after year 2000.

With this ludicrous chase for more and more... money. :LOL:

The sad thing is that they want more money but at the same time they destroy the quality of everything. The modern music (after year 2005) is just plain awful.

Can you imagine how many gigantic, high-quality European music channels were simply bought and destroyed (after year 2005), and there is nothing right now, or channels full of "reality" trash?
It was done by the greedy, evil managers in MTV Networks.
But what goes around, comes around- there is a hell for everyone who deserves it. ;)

Err, no I'm not that desperate for money. I have some personal morals, you know.

Morals tend to gain elasticity as the dollar amounts increase, when you're talking about 8 digit numbers morality tends to become very elastic. There are some lines people might not cross but I doubt putting your face on a lunchbox is among them. Oh people will justify it with all the good they could do or whatever, but they'd still take the money.

Yep. Western society has an innate herd instint which allows the governments of spectacle democracies, the media and the principles of economics to take advantage of each person's reluctance to noncoforimity. Public is seen as a "herd" that needs to be directed, not empowered. Social life and human psyche are something that needs to be manipulated by conditioning and advertising. Advanced industrial societies weaken the family, isolate and alienate the individiuals. Transparency of capitalistic evil, dehumanization, impersonality and materialism.

These texts are worth looking into if you want to know more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-Dimensional_Man
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_industry (http://insomnia.ac/essays/the_culture_industry/)
http://www.amazon.com/Profit-Over-People-Neoliberalism-Global/dp/1888363827/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
http://www.harpercollins.ca/books/Present-Age-Soren-Kierkegaard/?isbn=9780061990038 (http://insomnia.ac/essays/the_present_age/)
http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Freedom-Erich-H-Fromm/dp/0805031499
http://www.amazon.com/The-Sane-Society-Erich-Fromm/dp/0805014020
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Century_of_the_Self

Beyond Good and Evil §242 said:
Whether that which now distinguishes the European be called "civilization" or "humanization" or "progress"; whether one calls it simply, without implying any praise or blame, the democratic movement in Europe: behind all the moral and political foregrounds indicated by such formulas a great physiological process is taking place and gathering greater and ever greater impetus — the process of the assimilation of all Europeans, their growing detachment from the conditions under which races dependent on climate and class originate, their increasing independence of any definite milieu which, through making the same demands for centuries, would like to inscribe itself on soul and body — that is to say, the slow emergence of an essentially supra-national and nomadic type of man which, physiologically speaking, possesses as its typical distinction a maximum of the art and power of adaptation. This process of the becoming European, the tempo of which can be retarded by great lapses but which will perhaps precisely through them gain in vehemence and depth — the still-raging storm and stress of "national feeling" belongs here, likewise the anarchism now emerging —: this process will probably lead to results which its naive propagators and panegyrists, the apostles of "modern ideas", would be least inclined to anticipate. The same novel conditions which will on average create a levelling and mediocritizing of man — a useful, industrious, highly serviceable and able herd-animal man — are adapted in the highest degree to giving rise to exceptional men of the most dangerous and enticing quality. For while that power of adaptation which continually tries out changing conditions and begins a new labour with every new generation, almost with every new decade, cannot make possible the powerfulness of the type; while the total impression produced by such future Europeans will probably be that of multifarious, garrulous, weak-willed and highly employable workers who need a master, a commander, as they need their daily bread; while, therefore, the democratization of Europe will lead to the production of a type prepared for slavery in the subtlest sense: in individual and exceptional cases the strong man will be found to turn out stronger and richer than has perhaps ever happened before — thanks to the unprejudiced nature of his schooling, thanks to the tremendous multiplicity of practice, art and mask. What I mean to say is that the democratization of Europe is at the same time an involuntary arrangement for the breeding of tyrants — in every sense of that word, including the most spiritual."

I've never actually heard a Justin Bieber song before. Like, NEVER, except for a 5-second or so soundbite when the brat has passed by in a news program or such. Then I turned on the radio this morning to Swedish P3 (which I pretty much never do), and there he was.

NO Justin... I just CAN'T be your girlfriend. Fuck off, alright?

I know many adults don't appreciate music made for the young generation, and I pride myself in not being one of those blockheads, but that kid is crap. Seriously.

I can easily top you, I still havent heard bieber (though got some intimate pics me & him the other day, still aint heard hi though) or lady ga ga or well everything at all recent. I havent had a tv this century (*). I washed by hair last year feb 6 (or maybe that was 2010, first time since 1999) but anyways I say Its a loss I wish I have heard all the baba and that lady that died whinehouse,
now this is all not a positive my lack of exposure is a negative, grall yes youre retarded & I also but I try not to advertise it, I try to make up for my retardedness with my latent brain, do you? or is the overwelling pressure too much?

(*)sep11 2001 (or 2002) I followed in the newspaper

Morals tend to gain elasticity as the dollar amounts increase, when you're talking about 8 digit numbers morality tends to become very elastic.
Oh, I'm very aware of this. It comes with the general human instinct that is to get while the gettin's good.

There are some lines people might not cross but I doubt putting your face on a lunchbox is among them.
It's not the lunchbox per se, it's about adding stupid and essentially useless - or trivially useful - junk that consumes limited energy and resources that could have been better spent on something else. If instead of making money off of putting my face on crappy low-quality lunchboxes (which are useless over here where I live anyway as kids are fed at school anyhow, and nobody brings packed lunches with them from home), I could make money off of putting my NAME on a high-quality, rugged backpack that was designed and built to handle daily use for twenty years. That I wouldn't mind making some pennies off of.

I really don't want to get rich from adding shit to this planet that will just go into some landfill in the near future.

Yep. Western society has an innate herd instint which allows the governments of spectacle democracies, the media and the principles of economics to take advantage of each person's reluctance to noncoforimity.
I wouldn't go quite that far myself, but whatever floats your boat pal...

Be careful you don't go off the deep end. ;)

I bet you'd do it for a 10th of what bieber made last year. I know I would.

Then again, if someone is offering you a lot of money to put your face on random stuff, you're probably already in a financial situation where you really don't need the extra money.

Back