OUYA - Android console

So basically, OUYA is expecting to make upwards of $18/game for some (presumably very significant) number of games sold. If their business model relies on this type of income then they're probably in trouble.

Maybe it's not so much a basis for their business model, as it is saying "We have an open platform, if you want to bring Madden, and sell it for $60, bring Madden and sell it!". It's actually a decent point she's making, that some people will accept that pricepoint to play something on an HD screen... but a modern Madden game on the Tegra 3!? That's kinda laughable...

Maybe it's not so much a basis for their business model, as it is saying "We have an open platform, if you want to bring Madden, and sell it for $60, bring Madden and sell it!". It's actually a decent point she's making, that some people will accept that pricepoint to play something on an HD screen... but a modern Madden game on the Tegra 3!? That's kinda laughable...

I don't see the quote as saying that they're okay with expensive titles (why on earth would they not be? I'm sure Google and Apple are fine with it too). This is them saying that they expect it to happen, and when they say that they expect big name studios to release it's implied that they'll be bringing in a large chunk of the sales counts. And I strongly disagree with the point that people will pay top dollar for games just because they're played on a TV. XBLA, PSN, and WiiWare strongly oppose this. You won't find $60 games there despite being for TV.

A 30% cut on a $60 game seems as expensive as the current consoles. The terms will be be nicer not having to pay up front for disc pressing, but the install base will be much smaller and the cost to create not much different than a console game. I can't see AAA games ever targeting it (until it has substantial install base). Publishers drop last-gen consoles despite them being cheaper than supporting the new consoles. We could have had AAA games for the $99 PS2, but they fizzled out in a year or so of PS3's release. Publishers see the AAA experience selling to the core gamer who wants the best console experience and upgrades their hardware to the latest model when the price is right. $99 is a budget console for budget gamers not so willing to shell out on software, unless it has a special draw.

I dunno, out of all the easily or relatively easily hackable consoles (Xbox 1, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii, etc...), I can only think of one that did well with regards to sales. The Dreamcast forced Sega out of the console hardware business. The Xbox generated huge losses. The Gamecube was only a monetary success due to how cheap it was to manufacture.

Bingo. What do you think this thing will cost in terms of manufacturing? And please leave the Dreamcast out of that discussion. Piracy had little to do with its failure.

I can see where you're coming from though, and I'm not waiting for cheap touch crossovers or inferior AAA ports. I'm crossing my fingers there will be some good and original software for it, with nice graphics.

After seeing the brilliant Indie Game docu I do have faith in this concept. Yesterday's Fez probs hammer the point home even further. Pretty sad IMO.

OnLive confirmed and preinstalled on every OUYA.

They just got themselves a chance for good-looking AAA titles.
In places where people have fast internets, that is.

Billy Idol said:
that is interesting. But as far as I understand, onlinve is a payed service only available in the US? First of all I am in Europe and than I do not understand the concept of a payed service on this particular console...

No, you can actually try it right now if you want. I think I first tried it over a year ago.

OnLive confirmed and preinstalled on every OUYA.

They just got themselves a chance for good-looking AAA titles.
In places where people have fast internets, that is.

That's potentially interesting for those willing to deal with the added input latency until you start looking into what games are coming and available to OnLive.

As someone recently pointed out to me. Take a look at the New Releases tab for Onlive. Ummm, yeah. They are soldiering on, but I wouldn't put too much on Onlive spurring sales. But at least it does give Ouya "some" value. At least better value than Onlives own console.

Regards,
SB

AFAIK, the gpu has 8* 4 MADD pixel shaders and 4* 4 MADD vertex shaders @ 520MHz, the CPU is probably a 1.5GHz quad Cortex A9, and they'll probably use DDR3-1600 (why not? it's cheaper than LPDDR2 and a lot faster too, and it's not like they need the power savings).

i think it's actually just 1 MADD per "pipe," unfortunately. So, actually, 2 of the archaic PS pipes and one VS pipe. That would put it at just a little faster than the NV2A with the stock clock of 520MHz. of course, DX9 compliance, 1GB of RAM, and the quadcore CPU gives it a very nice boost over Xbox 1. Besides that, they have plans to overclock the T33 they're using. Not sure how far that will take them. From a thermal and power draw pov, with a passive heatsink, they could have some impressive headroom. But OC'ing being what it is, who knows how much they can realistically achieve.

I would be surprised if one of the cores (@ 1.6 - 2+ GHz) was significantly slower than the xbox 1 CPU @733MHz. That makes for a pretty imbalanced system compared to the original Xbox. The return of software rendering? :LOL:

On the topic of pricing, I don't think anybody can justify asking for more than $50, given that the most technically "impressive" games will be on par with late 2004 xbox games, perhaps close to rendering in 720p instead. At the very best. Not that anybody will pour 6million USD into an Ouya exclusive. <$5 for phone game ports. $5-$20 for xbla-class games. $20-$40 for the highest end games, if that.

Hmmmm, for a developer to recoup "devkit" costs, assuming they purchase one @ 1337, the developers would need to reach a little over 1000 people at an average of about $2, or 2% of the initial install base of 50,000+ units.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are making games for mobiles they will run on Ouya, so it's not really developing for, rather a side effect.

Yeah, at the moment Ouya doesn't appear to be getting any support other than existing Android ports, what with it being an Android device. So the various announcements coming out for Ouya seem somewhat misplaced. May as well headline "Square Enix support Scroll Extreme tablet".

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts

Maybe it was inevitable. Maybe it was because of the hundreds, if not thousands, of demands on Twitter, in blogs, on Facebook, in Reddit, and in Kickstarter comments. Maybe it's because many of Team OUYA support XBMC, and nearly a third of Team XBMC members are OUYA backers.

Regardless, we are delighted to announce that XBMC will be working with OUYA to ensure that XBMC works well on the OUYA platform. OUYA's Android underpinnings and XBMC's work on Android (soon to be merged into master, pending final sign-offs!) will dramatically speed up that effort, as will early XBMC dev access to OUYA prototypes.

The conversation between our two teams is young, but talk is ongoing and positive. We look forward to providing more exciting news on this front as it develops.

- Nathan Betzen, XBMC Community Manager

I'd easily buy it for XBMC alone if it runs well.

Hopefully the console is powerful enough to run HD resolution vids in all codecs.

my current S3 is having trouble doing 1080p wmv, and mkv files larger than 2 gigs. Doubt that tegra 3 will be any better if not worse. If these device a using a more powerful hardware I would seriously consider it.

Doesn't it have dedicated hardware decoding or something?

Even dedicated hardware can choke. Looking at various ARM SoC spec lists, lots of them specify what bitrate video they are capable of decoding. The Android version of XBMC is relatively new, though, and may not have extensive support for different hardware.

Back