Advanced cooling technology *spawn

From the video it sounds too noisy for my liking. I'd rather have a slow, low pitched hum than that penetrating whine. Throw in licensing costs, and I don't see this making it into any new console. It'll be a high-end, high-price part.

From the video it sounds too noisy for my liking. I'd rather have a slow, low pitched hum than that penetrating whine. Throw in licensing costs, and I don't see this making it into any new console. It'll be a high-end, high-price part.

The noise in the video is from the motor, which doesn't have a cover on it, unlike final product. Listen the part where they turn off the motor and let it roll on it's own

I know, but if the motor is noisy then it's still not silent. Conventional fans are often most noisy in their motors too. The gentle hum of moving air isn't typically what people object to. A large fan spinning slower will have a quieter, less obtrusive motor, unless the final version of this thing can change the motor drastically.

I don't care, to be honest. This thing is so much more efficient, it is automatically superior to anything else I know and wins by default for now. And I almost never hear the motor, sometimes just the airflow, and always the blades, and almost always because they get dusty. And these are the ones that get annoying over time.

I don't know if this will make it into anything, but it's a nice progression from that huge outward fan that the PS3 has (which was already quite special). And it is something I would put into our PCs at home in a heartbeat if at all affordable.

Throw in licensing costs, and I don't see this making it into any new console. It'll be a high-end, high-price part.

It would indeed be very interesting to know at what kind of price range this will be, but yes, I agree, it will most likely not find its way into a console...

I know, but if the motor is noisy then it's still not silent. Conventional fans are often most noisy in their motors too. The gentle hum of moving air isn't typically what people object to. A large fan spinning slower will have a quieter, less obtrusive motor, unless the final version of this thing can change the motor drastically.

Even a little bit of shielding significantly quiets these types of motors. And I don't know about use, but most of the noise my computer fans make is turbulence, and that is with fans designed to minimize turbulence noise. Same thing for a jet engine, you don't hear the noise of combustion, but the noise of the turbulence.

even cars on the road, unless at low urban speeds, make their noise through air, and rolling on the pavement.

I believe it's made to spin at 2000 rpm, I had a 80mm fan I found quiet at this speed.

Even a little bit of shielding significantly quiets these types of motors. And I don't know about use, but most of the noise my computer fans make is turbulence, and that is with fans designed to minimize turbulence noise. Same thing for a jet engine, you don't hear the noise of combustion, but the noise of the turbulence.
I know when swapping a loud (high-pitched whiney) PC fan for a quiet one (panaflo), the fan looks pretty much the same but the noise is radically reduced. I'm not saying there's no air-turbulance noise, but that tends to be low-frequency. If the motor in this rotating heatsink can be quietened, then great! But this first presentation didn't show it in a great light. It seems more a performance part for dealing with high temperatures rather than a specifically quiet device marketed for its lack of volume. There's also still need of a case fan to exhaust the chip heat, unless the airflow from the spinning heatsink can be directed out of the case, which seems possible. Of course, if being more efficient allows it to run at a low speed and all the quieter, it'd serve that job nicely too, though I suspect there's a minimum spin speed to keep the air cushion working.

I know when swapping a loud (high-pitched whiney) PC fan for a quiet one (panaflo), the fan looks pretty much the same but the noise is radically reduced. I'm not saying there's no air-turbulance noise, but that tends to be low-frequency. If the motor in this rotating heatsink can be quietened, then great! But this first presentation didn't show it in a great light. It seems more a performance part for dealing with high temperatures rather than a specifically quiet device marketed for its lack of volume. There's also still need of a case fan to exhaust the chip heat, unless the airflow from the spinning heatsink can be directed out of the case, which seems possible. Of course, if being more efficient allows it to run at a low speed and all the quieter, it'd serve that job nicely too, though I suspect there's a minimum spin speed to keep the air cushion working.

Well, also keep in mind that it is an R&D project. I doubt they were spending a lot of time on the motor, instead working on the air bearing and the fluid dynamics.

During the video they turn off the motor so you can hear the noise the heatsink makes and its whisper quiet. So they just need to get a really good motor for the device and it should be really quiet.

They might even be able to use tech like what is found in the Noctua nf-f12

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/noctuas-noise-canceling-pc-fan-gets-tested-drops-twenty-decib/

According to the firm, the Computex prototype kept things about 20dB quieter by utilizing a patented RotoSub ANC technology to emit anti-noise directly from the fan's own blades. Noctua hopes to dampen the cooler's 2,500 RPM hum to the overall noise level of a slower 1,500 RPM fan. Builders looking to piece together a quieter machine can look for the noise reducing cooler an the latter half of 2013

You can listen to the video of the tech turned on and off and it makes a big diffrence . Perhaps combining the two is the future and both of these have a 2013 release date . So they could find their way into next gen consoles.

but I wonder if it is made to operate only in horizontal position.

Would seem quite silly if its meant for computers as desktop pcs have the pcbs on their sides and stuff like laptops get moved around all the time.

Also keep in mind that the leak of all those slides had the durango looking more like a bluray player and less like a current gen console. So perhaps you can only place the durango one way which is on its side.

As for my fish tank comment , i'd be using it to cool cree leds since that is currently the noisest part of my salt water tank.

Seems like a small company that wants to get off the ground. Xbox 360 is at what 60 million consoles ww and will most likely finish out around 70 million ? I would think such a small company would love to get their device into a console that will sell that much. THink about it mass producing these at millions of units a year will bring down the cost and allow them to move into more markets. I think this would also work really well in the MS surface pro too .

Partnering up with MS would be a huge boon for such a small company.

Seems like a small company that wants to get off the ground. Xbox 360 is at what 60 million consoles ww and will most likely finish out around 70 million ? I would think such a small company would love to get their device into a console that will sell that much. THink about it mass producing these at millions of units a year will bring down the cost and allow them to move into more markets. I think this would also work really well in the MS surface pro too .

That small company happens to be one the premiere research labs in the world.

Are you speaking of Sandia National Labs?

Edit: that'll teach me to get sidetracked

That first gen PS3 with the 16 blade fan and the heavy copper heatsink...
That baby was cold as ice. Near silent even after hours of gaming.

If the proposed OP design is cheaper, then sure, use it. Else.. they should just stick to the excellent first generation cooling design

That first gen PS3 with the 16 blade fan and the heavy copper heatsink...
That baby was cold as ice. Near silent even after hours of gaming.

If the proposed OP design is cheaper, then sure, use it. Else.. they should just stick to the excellent first generation cooling design

It wasn't quite that rosy for all, though.
Many reported serious noise issues, and even overheating, on the original PS3, some got theirs replaced by warranty, others didn't.

The PS3 cooling system was still a traditional fixed heatsink and rotating fan that collects dust and gets clogged which results in decreased cooling efficiency.

This experimental spinning heatsink creates a fluidic barrier that prevents dust from collecting on it.

Back