Quantum Conundrum

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
What, no thread on Quantum Conundrum yet?

It´s a game by Kim Swift, lead designer of Portal.

Oh and the game is a bit like portal, only fluffier. It is great to have a bit of a brain teaser like this to play when Im not playing the addictive but brain numbing hack and slash boredom that is Diablo 3.

I am still in the blue wing but looking forward to playing this through this weekend. Anyone else tried it?

Made it to yellow. Slowing the time down gets quite fun when platforming from slow flying furniture piece to another. Mostly smiling through this game, occasionally I get a bit stuck but I always seem to figure a level out just before I get frustrated.

I'm enjoying it so far.

But I'm starting to wonder about this Swift person. She seems to be the one responsible for all the parts of Portal that I didn't like.. namely, the twich-shooting and platforming, which QC seems to also have in spades. I much prefer the straight-up "brain teasers" of Portal 2, where your time is spent figuring out how to progress, and less time actually doing it.

I'm not the only one that felt that way, based on how Valve made Portal 2, and the general consensus that the game is superior to Portal 1 in practically every way. After Swift left the team.

I only bring all this up because everyone else is.. "A new game by the lead designer of Portal!!" should not be your main marketing tag line. The game should be able to stand entirely on its own, but they don't seem confident that it will, so they push the link to Portal instead.

I will say that the graphics options are insulting. No AA? AF? Shadows and shaders? Vsync? It's basically just "Graphics On/Off".

I'm enjoying it so far.

But I'm starting to wonder about this Swift person. She seems to be the one responsible for all the parts of Portal that I didn't like.. namely, the twich-shooting and platforming, which QC seems to also have in spades. I much prefer the straight-up "brain teasers" of Portal 2, where your time is spent figuring out how to progress, and less time actually doing it.

I'm not the only one that felt that way, based on how Valve made Portal 2, and the general consensus that the game is superior to Portal 1 in practically every way. After Swift left the team.

I only bring all this up because everyone else is.. "A new game by the lead designer of Portal!!" should not be your main marketing tag line. The game should be able to stand entirely on its own, but they don't seem confident that it will, so they push the link to Portal instead.

I will say that the graphics options are insulting. No AA? AF? Shadows and shaders? Vsync? It's basically just "Graphics On/Off".

You mean as in this clip?

:LOL:

Yeah, that's where I got it from.. hehe. Although the settings in QC are pretty much about that involved.

The lack of AA is a real killer, though.. with such a simple environment full of high-contrast sharp edges, the jagges are actually distracting in some places. I ended up forcing it through NVidia control panel.. much better, and still running at whatever ridiculous framerates I'm getting.

Looks rather interesting, but if it has no AA option then I can't buy it on priniciple.

If it drops to like $.99 I'll spring for it and force FXAA in the driver.

I see that the minimum required GPU is the 8800GT, and recommended is the 9500GT. Ignore the fact that the 9500GT is much, much slower than the 8800GT and consider that there isn't really any 9000 series NVIDIA GPU that could be logically recommended over the 8800GT.

I mean, you couldn't say "minimum 8800GT, recommended 9800GTX". Because they are the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an Unreal game.. it'll run on just about anything. Even my old, old system could run Unreal 3 games decently, and my 8800GTS could run them perfectly.

That's a damn good question. Your sig makes the point rather well, I think. The option simply isn't there. My comment earlier wasn't far from the truth.. the only "graphics options" the game gives you are resolution, brightness, and subtitles. That's pathetic.

The severity of how much the game is affected by lack of AA varies from game to game, but in this one, with it's art style and a lot of straight, high-contrast edges, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Just forcing FXAA in NVidia Control Panel makes a world of difference.

Personally I have actually grown to prefer sharp pixels, pixellation and artifacts that follow it over even slightest blurring of pixel edges. (even if it means blinking power lines and such). I do like to have very high resolution and some AF though.

But it´s not to the merit of this game, user should be allowed to choose.

Picked up this game yesterday... some flashes of brilliance in the puzzle design, but i felt the jokes and dialogue was a bit lacking compared to that in Portal..

Still a good purchase, and post patch introduced new menu options to change graphical settings and such, so no complaints there...

Back