What are the raw performance specs of PSVita?

What game were you playing that drained your battery within 4 hours on Vita?

When I first played Uncharted it slayed the battery. Resistance wasn't so bad and Wipeout and Stardust are OK. The battery just doesn't last as long as I thought it would given the size of the device, it's thick enough to get a fair sized battery in there.

doesnt it use a 20w battery? Something like half of ipad 3? ipad 3 battery life is definitely short when it comes to gaming too. Playing the old infinity blade on my ipad3 drains power super quick too.

Playing Resistance online MP definitely drains the battery, apart from that the Vita is pretty good on battery use and I can usually get a good couple of days of average use before a charge.

Regarding the H/W specs, all I can say is that I haven't seen anything on ipad 3 to match LBP beta on the Vita:)

Ive just finished porting our shmup to the vita (from x360), and while i think it's a great kit, it was definitely NOT easy to hit 60fps at native resolution. We ended up dropping transparency resolution a bit, and removing some extra graphical effects, even using the cpu to assist the gpu (kind of ps3 style..). There were also some other interesting compromises to be made, and although i cant talk about it without violating some NDA, there ARE other options than dropping rendering resolution. I'm personally a bit disappointed with the lack of native resolution rendering in current vita titles, fixed res portable displays should not be underused like that. (altho as i said, my transparency buffers are quite small so im not innocent in this either...)

Ive just finished porting our shmup to the vita (from x360), and while i think it's a great kit, it was definitely NOT easy to hit 60fps at native resolution. We ended up dropping transparency resolution a bit, and removing some extra graphical effects, even using the cpu to assist the gpu (kind of ps3 style..). There were also some other interesting compromises to be made, and although i cant talk about it without violating some NDA, there ARE other options than dropping rendering resolution. I'm personally a bit disappointed with the lack of native resolution rendering in current vita titles, fixed res portable displays should not be underused like that. (altho as i said, my transparency buffers are quite small so im not innocent in this either...)

sounds like fillrate limit or ...something?
the thing about mobile parts i noticed is...all that upgrades in shaders..but also comes with poor ROPs and dem gigapixels...and slow vram too.....

we need to know moar about psvita clocks....strangely...no other docs leaks with vital vita specs yet?

Thanks for sharing, guessing that title starts with an S and ends with an A? ;) It makes sense though that a game for 360 would take some effort to get running on Vita? And yeah, from what I've seen so far framebuffer and shaders in particular have to be pared down. Textures too, probably?

And yes, non-native res and low framerates are a bit of a shame. Particularly on a portable I think I prefer smooth framerates and crisp graphics over insane amounts of geometry.

Are there any Vita games that render at full native resolution that run at 60fps? LBP beta looks amazing but I'm not sure what resolution it's rendered at, seems to run at 30fps.

I think all fighters are 60fps native, and all 2D games obviously. Not sure about the rest though. Of the 3D games I own I think Super Stardust and Virtua Tennis are native and 60fps.

Playing Resistance online MP definitely drains the battery, apart from that the Vita is pretty good on battery use and I can usually get a good couple of days of average use before a charge.

Regarding the H/W specs, all I can say is that I haven't seen anything on ipad 3 to match LBP beta on the Vita:)

It is rather good, they don't seem to have cut back on any tools or effects and, IMO, it actually runs better on the Vita than it did on the PS3.

Shifty: AA is pretty cheap, altho we ended up not using it, due to conflicts with the slow-down posteffect, and to be honest, i needed every little performance i could get for the more demanding levels. The ipad performance is very close, but its native res is much higher, so i definitely wouldnt expect anything cutting-edge at that res. Not that people care - most of them seem to be happy thinking IB2 is "retina" :)

gongo: yes, and geometry, and everything else :) mobile gpus are much more... fragile, you really really have to consider all hardware peculiarities when writing your shaders.

Arwin: yeah, that game :) it's not really a secret since its already been announced, i just didnt want people think im only here to advertise it :) Textures were downscaled and some of them omitted, and yes, shaders had to be pared down quite a bit. In the end, seeing the end results, i think it was a good compromise - the small(er) screen kind of hides these cutbacks, and i totally agree with you that crispness and framerate are much more important for a handhend action game.

Last edited by a moderator:
reptile said:
I'm personally a bit disappointed with the lack of native resolution rendering in current vita title
People keep saying this on forums, but in the-launch window overwhelming majority of titles were native (as were titles with AA), which is more then I can say for most other consoles in the past.

Arwin said:
Of the 3D games I own I think Super Stardust and Virtua Tennis are native and 60fps.
Fifa is 60fps in practice mode if that counts :p
Frankly given the way last generation went I was surprised there was any 60fps title in launch window at all, in any resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished Uncharted tonight and man, not native, shaky framerate, but it gets more stable and impressive towards the end and left me very satisfied.

Shifty: AA is pretty cheap, altho we ended up not using it, due to conflicts with the slow-down posteffect, and to be honest, i needed every little performance i could get for the more demanding levels. The ipad performance is very close, but its native res is much higher, so i definitely wouldnt expect anything cutting-edge at that res. Not that people care - most of them seem to be happy thinking IB2 is "retina" :)

gongo: yes, and geometry, and everything else :) mobile gpus are much more... fragile, you really really have to consider all hardware peculiarities when writing your shaders.

Arwin: yeah, that game :) it's not really a secret since its already been announced, i just didnt want people think im only here to advertise it :) Textures were downscaled and some of them omitted, and yes, shaders had to be pared down quite a bit. In the end, seeing the end results, i think it was a good compromise - the small(er) screen kind of hides these cutbacks, and i totally agree with you that crispness and framerate are much more important for a handhend action game.

So does it runs at vita native res? I really hope you can tweak the tunnel part a bit, me and my friends got really frustrated in that part.

so is it a weak system ?
I bought it because i thought it was powerful and that future games would look way better than launch games :???:

so is it a weak system ?
I bought it because i thought it was powerful and that future games would look way better than launch games :???:
There was nothing more powerful at launch, certainly not in the price range, and nothing that'll use the hardware as well as PSV, and nothing that has the game control systems of Vita. If the only reason for buying it was to have the most powerful hardware for years to come, buy yourself the most powerful handset money can buy and keep upgrading every year, playing touch-screen games without proper sticks or buttons.

Gitaroo said:
So does it runs at vita native res? I really hope you can tweak the tunnel part a bit, me and my friends got really frustrated in that part.

I think he already answered that question? (yes native res, but framebuffer effects had to be scaled down - much like with many PS3 games incidentally)

If the only reason for buying it was to have the most powerful hardware for years to come, buy yourself the most powerful handset money can buy and keep upgrading every year, playing touch-screen games without proper sticks or buttons.

And even then iOS and Android games will still target a wide range of hardware, some of it pretty old like the iPhone 3GS.

This topic...made me curious to try out a real PS Vita...what i did not expect to see is..how much the geometry is like sub-Xbox1 levels..Ninja Gaiden Vita ain't no Xbox1 NG Black....even the DOF effects look bad....so what about all the hype on mobile gpu catching up to PS3 levels by 2013...?

I noticed the sub-native resolution in W..i..p....e...o....u...t..whats with the LOAD TIMES btw? The sub-native resolution blown up made the game looks just slightly more eye pleasing than Wipeout on PSP..(due to the higher environment geometry)...I found VT4 the best eye pleasing of PS Vita titles....very clean and sharp..but again the player models look sub Xbox1 levels..Fifa was alright...and Gravity Daze was full of jaggies.. dat is about.PS2 levels with better filtering..

The other PS Vita titles look closer to PSP with ...better textures and filtering...and some lighting effects...not impressed about what Vita is doing atm...not too interested in what it could be doing in the next year...Sony is serious need to re-do the Vita...give it 1GB of main ram..upgrade the web browser...get more apps...slim it down....let in use standard msd cards...i may jump in...but the games performance left me disappointed...imho

Back