Windows phone 8

Well , HTC might be looking for a non andriod market as their current strategy doesn't seem to work

At least HTC is still profitable, so the news is not all negative. The important thing for HTC moving forward (with respect to stock price) is to meet or beat expectations that are set for them by stock market analysts.

In order to keep up with Samsung and Apple, HTC needs to keep building upon what they have with the One X line of phones. Just as Samsung updates Galaxy S/SII/SIII each year, and just as Apple updates iphone 3/4/5 each year, HTC needs to update One X/Two X/Three X on a yearly cadence too, rather than coming out with completely new and dissimilar names and phones each year.

At least HTC is still profitable, so the news is not all negative. The important thing for HTC moving forward (with respect to stock price) is to meet or beat expectations that are set for them by stock market analysts.

In order to keep up with Samsung and Apple, HTC needs to keep building upon what they have with the One X line of phones. Just as Samsung updates Galaxy S/SII/SIII each year, and just as Apple updates iphone 3/4/5 each year, HTC needs to update One X/Two X/Three X on a yearly cadence too, rather than coming out with completely new and dissimilar names and phones each year.

IMO, the biggest problem with their One line has been launch and availability; at least in the U.S. The One X is only on AT&T and the One S is only on T-mobile...with nothing on Verizon and an Evo on Sprint....

If people haven't heard of Windows Phone, what has MS being doing with the hundreds of millions marketing budget that they supposedly deployed?

Not much except to pay the phone carriers lots of USD. Up until AT&T recently, none of the phone carriers in the US even attempted to push a Windows Phone, with most of them prefering to ignore the existence of WP7 devices.

That looks set to change with WP8. I'd imagine AT&T will continue to push WP devices, while Verizon has made a lot of noise about wanting to push Windows Phone at some point.

MS made the mistake of trying to market to the consumer, when they would have been better off just paying the phone carriers to push phones with WP7.

Regards,
SB

@joker454: Hmm that looks bad for Android indeed. I never had a single crash on either my Samsung Note or my Nexus 7. I wonder what model they own and what kind of crappy apps they install that could make it unstable; here in France, many people are complaining that operators add buggy overlays above the OS that make it unstable; I'm lucky my phone is free from that...

Did MS clearly state phone operators or phone makers wouldn't have the right to add anything to the pre-loaded OS? If so, that's a definitive plus.

Did MS clearly state phone operators or phone makers wouldn't have the right to add anything to the pre-loaded OS? If so, that's a definitive plus.

Phone operators and makers can add stuff, but anything they add must be able to easily be removed by the consumer. As well it can't change the look of the OS.

My fiance has a Samsung Android phone and it absolutely drives her crazy that she can't remove some of the crap that was added that she never uses. Because they all use bandwidth to update periodically and she hasn't been able to figure out how to make it stop. That's fine for the apps she uses, but is just a waste of money for the ones she doesn't. Most of the time it updates at her home which is fine as it's on wifi then, but it is fairly common for one or more of them to decide to update while away.

Regards,
SB

The htc arrive has a HTC hub which you can enter and it basicly remakes windows phone into a htc skin. There are also basic apps that htc offers.

Now i dn't think you can delete the hub it will allways be in the programs menu , but you can remove it from your home tile screen and you can remove the other htc programs.

Phone operators and makers can add stuff, but anything they add must be able to easily be removed by the consumer. As well it can't change the look of the OS.

My fiance has a Samsung Android phone and it absolutely drives her crazy that she can't remove some of the crap that was added that she never uses. Because they all use bandwidth to update periodically and she hasn't been able to figure out how to make it stop. That's fine for the apps she uses, but is just a waste of money for the ones she doesn't. Most of the time it updates at her home which is fine as it's on wifi then, but it is fairly common for one or more of them to decide to update while away.

Regards,
SB

Yes that is a major annoyance indeed. That plus the slow updates is what I hate about android...but even android 4.04 the lag had completely gone for me.

Yes that is a major annoyance indeed. That plus the slow updates is what I hate about android...but even android 4.04 the lag had completely gone for me.

the lag on andriod for me is something that starts creeping up on me . The devices start off fine but after months of use are slow and nothing short of a hard reset will speed them up to their original state .

I saw a video comparison showing the difference in lag and ui frames per second...slowed right down....the difference is pretty startling...even over ics.

I'm more worried about the batterylife..as as I understand it one of the major enhancements was just to brute force it using higher clockspeeds as soon as you touch the screen.....not as efficient as ui priority...but of it does the job?
http://www.androidauthority.com/jelly-bean-vs-ics-smoothness-test-slow-motion-104854/

The Galaxy S (and Epic 4G) had problems due to some strange software design choices by Samsung and Touchwiz.

Stick a custom ROM on any of these devices and you'll enjoy a much better and almost lag-free experience. I've installed CM9 on a Galaxy S for my sister and there is barely any lag at all now. The early Jelly bean betas are also very good on the Galaxy S as well and all but remove any interface lag.

I understand the situation with Android stock ROMs is worse in the US than here in Europe as the carriers over there tend to install all sorts of bloatware 'extras' in the stock ROMs, eating up memory and slowing the phones down.

I will add one thing..although for an android device the galaxy s3 is very smooth and relatively fast...I tried using my old LG viewty the other day...complete with a 133mhz arm 11...and 128mb ram...and it destroys my quad core android device in doing the most basic tasks..such as...opening phone or contacts...

Perhaps 4.1 jellybean brute force approach will remedy that?

Just went to BB and played with the Lumia 900, Galaxy S3, and Note. The Lumia was CLEARLY smoother than the other two. Note was pretty good, S3 was surprisingly laggy (maybe people had been playing with it more and installed extra software?). Hopefully Sammy release a Note w/ Win 8 - I'm getting one if they do!

I will add one thing..although for an android device the galaxy s3 is very smooth and relatively fast...I tried using my old LG viewty the other day...complete with a 133mhz arm 11...and 128mb ram...and it destroys my quad core android device in doing the most basic tasks..such as...opening phone or contacts...

Perhaps 4.1 jellybean brute force approach will remedy that?

I would love if google split development off at 5 and make verison 5 a new os from scratch and just have it run old apps. I think its just grown to fast and has to much sh*t in it

I would love if google split development off at 5 and make verison 5 a new os from scratch and just have it run old apps. I think its just grown to fast and has to much sh*t in it

Yea I agree...Im amazed how they have managed to tack on so many features...and even managed to get smooth ui performance with jellybean...but it does take incredible performing hardware to do it....we are talking the same sort of power/ram that you would need to get windows xp running smooth...ridiculous when you think about it.

Wp8 is certainly going to be lightning fast with krait cpu cores and 1gb ram...I just hope it has enough of a feature set and app collection to make it usable...I don't want no ios clone.

Just went to BB and played with the Lumia 900, Galaxy S3, and Note. The Lumia was CLEARLY smoother than the other two. Note was pretty good, S3 was surprisingly laggy (maybe people had been playing with it more and installed extra software?). Hopefully Sammy release a Note w/ Win 8 - I'm getting one if they do!
That doesn't surprised me...but the lag somewhat does...my galaxy s3 used to get a bit of stuttering when loads of widgets were going and heavy multitasking...after some firmware downloads it seems incredibly smooth for an android device..the best I've used yet in fact.

You won't be able to get windows 8 running very easily on note..because of exynos...not supported yet I think?...you would however be able to stick it on the rumoured HTC 5inch beastie...complete with 1080p lcd2 screen and a quad core snapdragon and 2gb ram.

Back