Windows phone 8

Both my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 (both 512 MB devices and on iOS 5.1) usually hold multiple Safari tabs even when jumping among multiple apps that can include Google Earth and YouTube, provided I don't load up large volumes of data across multiple of them.

I have never been able to get the page to stay on a b3d forum post. Nor on fark pages. I've noticed Chrome tends to reload the page a lot as well as opposed to the stock Browser.

metafor said:
I have never been able to get the page to stay on a b3d forum post. Nor on fark pages. I've noticed Chrome tends to reload the page a lot as well as opposed to the stock Browser.
On an iPad 1, this was definitely true. Not so on later versions.

I've not noticed this on the multiple iPhones I've used. In fact, I can't remember a single time I've gone back into Safari and had the page already loaded. Perhaps it's different on iPad with 1GB of RAM.
It obviously depends on which and how many apps (and tabs) you're using, but at least for my usage tab reloading is actually a rare ocurrence on an iPhone 4.

Again, that's not something that should be required of the app.
The OS does not know which data the application needs to keep to be able to restore its current state. To do it transparently you'd have to write all allocated memory to disk, as well as store information to recreate resources. Somehow I doubt many users would appreciate several gigabytes of frozen apps taking up disk space.

... unless you typed a lot of text into fields you hadn't yet submitted.
Which is definitely a flaw that should be fixed. Browsers with crash recovery/session restore show that it can be done even when reloading is required.

It obviously depends on which and how many apps (and tabs) you're using, but at least for my usage tab reloading is actually a rare ocurrence on an iPhone 4.
Out of curiousity, how much memory does your iphone have?

I have two tabs open in Safari on my iPhone4 that's been there for weeks. Sometimes it reloads when I switch to the Safari app but not all the time.

For basic phone stuff and some browsing etc tombstones has been shown to work well enough in a media device as long as lots done properly.

I suppose it all depends on what the actual advantages to the consumer such a limitation gives them....no one here has actually given me a concrete benefit to the consumer over full blown multitasking...none.

In my eyes it is just a limitation so the hardware vendors can stick weaker processing in, less ram and smaller batteries.

The batterylife to the consumer is pretty much locked to a full days worth....these restrictions bring no benefits to consumers.
Period.

iPhone 4 has 512 MiB.
:oops: I was being thick .. I was imagining that maybe some of the flash would be used as "swap space" for idle apps, but would be too power hungry for a mobile device. (As well as being of little benefit)

Well, here's the sucker punch..Microsoft admits it was working on wp8 BEFORE wp7.

They admit they knew they were going to be hanging early wp7 user out to dry..but led them up the garden path.

Maybe it was unavoidable? Somehow I think there was a better option than this... they should have waited till a better dual core soc was available like the msm 8660 and then set that as the hardware requirement.

Anyway they also say that there are quite a few features yet to be revealed...

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/windows-phone-7-was-doomed-by-design-microsoft-admits-50008466/

booo f*cking hiss.
Lame. lame. lame.

This is why I hate MS. Yes, I game in W7 and it's a good OS, but ugh, they should offer $100 coupons and subsidize early upgrades to EVERY WP7 user, period. If they do that I will buy a top-line WP8 phone. Customer loyalty is key.

I do feel for people who bought the Lumia. A flagship phone for a whopping two months. Other than that, I don't think it's a big issue. I've had my Epic 4G for almost two years now, the only reason it's running ICS is because of the mod community. Otherwise I'd still be stuck on Gingerbread. So in terms of upgrades, Android is no better. The only problem I see is Win 8 apps not being backwards compatible.

No android is much much worse....

Agreed. No hacking dev community for Android is much much worse again! That'll be one downside of going to WP8, I assume that there'll be a lot less (non-existant?) third-party development. My phone is SO much better with ICS (via CM9), Voodoo Sound, Voodoo Color etc etc. Then again, this stuff wouldn't be required if it came working with all the hardware functionality exposed out of the box, and was upgraded quickly by Samsung!

Agreed. No hacking dev community for Android is much much worse again! That'll be one downside of going to WP8, I assume that there'll be a lot less (non-existant?) third-party development. My phone is SO much better with ICS (via CM9), Voodoo Sound, Voodoo Color etc etc. Then again, this stuff wouldn't be required if it came working with all the hardware functionality exposed out of the box, and was upgraded quickly by Samsung!

The solution is simple. Buy unlocked Nexus devices and save yourselves from the toxic waste loaded by carriers and OEMs.

The solution is simple. Buy unlocked Nexus devices and save yourselves from the toxic waste loaded by carriers and OEMs.

My issue is I'm at the point where I want things to just work. I don't want to have to bother about rooting my phone, running custom ROM's etc etc to expose all the functionality (i.e. the sweet Wolfson DAC in the Epic 4G). If I can get a phone with nice hardware (i.e. good camera, good sound) and a smooth UI that just works out of the box, I'm sold. I'm planning on getting a hybrid laptop/tablet once they are released (i.e. when Windows 8 is out), so I think going Windows Phone might work for me. We'll see once it's released.

I love my galaxy's3...but fragmentation is the only downside...if they could get the upgrades out by 2 months max..then I would except that as near as perfect as can be expected.

Back