Microsoft Roadmap, the XBox 720 and more - Leak

Rotmm

Regular
I feel this leak deserves its own thread, firstly because it's concerned about more than the Xbox 720 (a name MS uses itself) and secondly because (imho) it is such a huge insight into what MS's plans are that it shouldn't get lost in the previous Durango/Loop thread.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/92821757/XBox-720-9-24-Checkpoint-Draft-1]

A couple of key 360 points from the huge doc.

1) Looking at 2013 release
2) Kinect v2 (Closer, Wider, Deeper)
3) $299 including Kinect v2
4) Going for another 10 year lifecycle
5) Cloud gaming by 2015
6) Renewed focus on sunscription model
7) BluRay
8) On Standby
9) 100M Sales Target (10 year)
10) Expectation of day 1 hardware profit
11) Aiming for 6-8x more powerful than 360.
12) 4GB DDR4, 32MB EDRam
13) Possibly ARM CPU - cores to be decided?
14) Stereo Kinect for 3D Gaming
15) HD Kinect RGB Camera

Edit: Have added the slides from the presentation and added a few key points as I've stumbled across them.

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Slide5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a satisfying leak :) So comprehensive, makes me feel all giddy. And almost impossible to be fake, even if a lot of things in there are very predictable.

Looks like this was a strategy formed in 2010 and these documents are 2011 at the latest (some parts hint at 2010 imho), and I'm guessing most of the in-crowd has been aware of it since then, so in that context it stayed secret pretty long.

Even if the strategy may not have been final at the time of these docs, it's a very clear reveal of the tech Microsoft is working on, so while the order they release and if they do release are not fully set in stone, it seems likely that a lot of this will be at E3 2013 at the latest. ;)

What an intensely satisfying leak. Obviously old ideas as they completely miss the threat from mobile platforms and the speed at which low power tech is catching up with mainstream gas guzzlers.

So comprehensive, makes me feel all giddy.

Exactly my feeling ;)

Looks like this was a strategy formed in 2010 and these documents are 2011 at the latest (some parts hint at 2010 imho)

Yes, I'm guessing the document was originally put together in 2010 and added on to in subsequesnt months through 2011 as new information came forward.

It's funny, but I was only thinking yesterday that MS seem to suffer less from proper leaks than some other companies (thinking the PS3 Slim images out in the wild long before it was officially launched). Yes, there are always rumours, but in terms of actual leaks not so much.

This, however, takes it to a whole new level. My guess is that there are a lot of very angry people in the higher positions in MS who are spitting blood this morning... or will be once they wake up anyway ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Their general long term plan is a good one, but im hoping for something way more beefy than 120w box. Between the creation of this document and today we had several waves of developer dissatisfaction with nextgen hardware power. They asked more, and few rumors suggest that both Sony and MS are still undecided on final specs.

I hope that both consoles will be in 200w range.

So this is Yukon, then there is Durango. I wonder which project will win.

Yukon is gonna be either ARM or x86 ? Is this why AMD licensed ARM ?

4 GB DDR4 is nice. What's the spec of DDR4 ? Is it really fast because it's gonna be on 128 bit bus.

64 ALUs @ 1 GHz + 48 ALUs @ 500 MHz. Is this 360 style ALUs ? That seems low, how many ALU did Wii U have again ? But their target power consumption is really low, too.

I guess they're expecting cloud services to take off with this project.

What's the rumoured spec for Durango ?

Back