Does MS need to support more new IPs this gen? *spawn

Err, what's up with all this hate towards Brad Grenz?

He just wants more games on Xbox...me too! Bring it on, the more games the better...are you guys seriously arguing against that? It's not about Sony this and Sony that...it's simple about more games, more gaming fun...that's it guys.

If you seriously cannot understand this...

He was more interested in having a list war. As a 360 owner, i am quite happy with Crimson Dragon and Halo 4 this year.

He was more interested in having a list war. As a 360 owner, i am quite happy with Crimson Dragon and Halo 4 this year.

I only created a list in direct refutation of a claim about the complexion of Microsoft's lineup compared to others.

I only created a list in direct refutation of a claim about the complexion of Microsoft's lineup compared to others.
What you're really upset about is that the new interesting games on XBox are all Kinect based or Arcade titles. MS has launched a bunch of new IPs in the last two years (Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventures, Kinectimals, etc) And coming is Ascend: New Gods, LocoCycle, Matter, and Wreckateer. Completely new IP, but apparently not counted by you.

If you want to be complete about it, Microsoft showed 6 brand new IPs (never been released on XBox before) The four listed above, Nike+ training, and South Park. Two new games based on existing IP with new gameplay, but not a sequel (Forza Horizon and Fable: Journey), 2 yearly sports titles, 4 sequels, and a reboot (Tomb Raider). So your claim of "Microsoft showed nothing that hadn't been released on 360 at least twice before, most many more times than that." is patently false.

Honestly his posts belong on GameFaqs or GAF instead of B3D, so I wouldn't even entertain him by replying to his posts. :p

I am sorry. The post wasn't meant to negative towards those franchise and activate some people's defense force badge and power up their ability to make disparaging comments that add nothing to the thread.

I am not stating that Sony franchises like UC, KZ, GT or GOW aren't highly regarded or critically acclaimed or that they shouldn't be. I am not trying to disparage those franchises in any way. But within the scope of using E3 as a marketing tool, Sony and MS would be better served by pushing features and titles that are more capable of resonating with mainstream consumers and casual gamers. Franchises like Gears, Halo, UC, GT and others aren't pushing demand to point where MS and Sony can comfortably generated profits while providing high end tech.

E3 showcases that are full of videos and demos of AAA titles that typically create followings with core gamers is like preaching to the converted. MS and Sony should use E3 as an opportunity to create new converts, instead of focusing of generating excitement with current fans. Not to say that franchises such as those shouldn't be represented at E3 but there is little benefit to making them a main focus.

The reality if you want a AMD high end 7 series like GPU and a Ivy Bridge like CPU in your next console, we need mainstream and casual gamers to support consoles at price levels that make the inclusion of that type of performance profitable. Its not triple A high end games that going to do it or Sony and MS would be swimming in the cash. Its going to be features that resonate outside of core gaming that going to attract mainstream consumers like media functionality/connectivity and casual gaming like Kinect titles.

MS and Sony's success and well as the prowess of their tech is dependent on broad support from a large swath of the consumer base.

What you're really upset about is that the new interesting games on XBox are all Kinect based or Arcade titles. MS has launched a bunch of new IPs in the last two years (Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventures, Kinectimals, etc) And coming is Ascend: New Gods, LocoCycle, Matter, and Wreckateer. Completely new IP, but apparently not counted by you.

If we want to count downloadable titles, it doesn't actually tilt anything in Microsoft's favor. Sony mentioned Dyad, Papo y Yo, and Unfinished Swan... And if anything, those titles make Microsoft's "new and interesting" deficit worse.

If you want to be complete about it, Microsoft showed 6 brand new IPs (never been released on XBox before) The four listed above, Nike+ training, and South Park. Two new games based on existing IP with new gameplay, but not a sequel (Forza Horizon and Fable: Journey), 2 yearly sports titles, 4 sequels, and a reboot (Tomb Raider). So your claim of "Microsoft showed nothing that hadn't been released on 360 at least twice before, most many more times than that." is patently false.

That sound you hear is the noise of you scrapping the bottom of the barrel when you try to count South Park and Nike as "new IP". If that's how we're doing the arithmetic, than Battle Royale and the Harry Potter Wonderbook would count as well.

If we want to count downloadable titles, it doesn't actually tilt anything in Microsoft's favor. Sony mentioned Dyad, Papo y Yo, and Unfinished Swan... And if anything, those titles make Microsoft's "new and interesting" deficit worse.

Dude, you are all over the place. Your tune keeps changing, one time it is they have nothing for core, then it is they have less than Sony, blah blah blah.

To summarize: Any way you slice the pie you like Sony better.

Hint: If you started looking at 1st party sales you may have a more tempered opinion. Personally I much prefer Halo and Forza compared to Uncharted and GT. But I ain't gonna' pretend Sony doesn't have some marketable properties well received in the market, even if I don't personally dig them. And if I said something so silly I wouldn't dance around and throw stuff at a wall.

As it stands everyone knows MS has fewer internal studios AND is making fewer 1st part "AAA" titles than Sony. Duh. That said MS's 1st party efforts and exclusives this gen have been received exceptionally well (just add the sales for Halo 3/ODST/Reach, GeoW1/2/3, Forza 2/3/4, Fable 2/3, ME 1/2, etc and compare them across the street) and they are projecting a "quality not quantity" approach in terms of the big budget titles (i.e. they are making money hand over fist aka consumers are lapping up what they sell). I don't care if you think Halo and Gears and Forza are trash and have no interest in them -- could be totally true on all accounts -- but that is in no way a reflection of their product in the market. Dude, the stuff SELLS. On the flip side MS has been aggressive in pushing new content onto the XBLA all generation and in the last 2 years have been pushing new Kinect titles. Clearly their focus is spread out different from Sony's.

Sadly, you have turned this into a versus thread with the clear intent to deposit statements that can be openly challenged only to "move to ball" and drag this into an eternal spiral of MS vs. Sony.

Exactly what has Sony's 1st party titles done for the Sony? As highly regarded as those titles are, they haven't outsold the MS first party offerings nor have they enabled Sony to outsell MS. One may opine that Sony would be worse off without those 1st party titles. It doesn't change the fact that the PS3 has not been profitable at the retail price levels Sony were forced to offer the PS3 to be competitive unit sales wise. Those titles have provided wonderful experiences but have done little to make the PS3 a profitable product for Sony.

The titles haven't enabled Sony to outsell MS. Although much of what you said here to me is inaccurate. Advantages the 360 has enjoyed this round and the Live subscription wouldn't have made the PS3 profitable. MS doesn't necessarily need the breadth of 1st party offerings from Nintendo or Sony to be successful. I think we've seen enough from this generation year in and year out to draw that conclusion.

Sadly, you have turned this into a versus thread with the clear intent to deposit statements that can be openly challenged only to "move to ball" and drag this into an eternal spiral of MS vs. Sony.

I didn't turn this into a dick measuring contest. That was bkilian. I said I thought Microsoft's over-reliance on the same properties over and over again was a disservice to their customers and in stark contrast to other big players. He tried to claim they were no worse than anyone else and all I did was show the fucking math. He's also the one who keeps wanting to redefine the terms in question and bring it down to Sony v. MS, but anyone who claims Microsoft is just as invested in producing new and original experiences for the core as Ubisoft, Nintendo and Sony is simply being disingenuous. The evidence to the contrary is manifest.

DODGE! The first post I replied to certainly addressed a different hyperbolic statement, but anyways...

How is selling 5M-10M copies of a new Halo title a disservice to customers instead of releasing a new IP that may interest 1M-2M customers?

And how is MS releasing new Forzas, Halos, Gears, etc and dabbling in intuitive inputs any different from Nintendo -- who you promote as "producing new and original experiences for the core" (!!!!) -- when their lineup is largely Marios, Zeldas, and Metroids with a dabbling in new IPs and user input driven games?

What I see is you are making very broad statements that are being challenged with examples followed by... DODGE!

That sound you hear is the noise of you scrapping the bottom of the barrel when you try to count South Park and Nike as "new IP". If that's how we're doing the arithmetic, than Battle Royale and the Harry Potter Wonderbook would count as well.
I'm not claiming anything is tilted in Microsoft favor, I'm claiming Microsoft showed just as much new IP as the other players, and by your own count, I'm right. You can count Battle Royale as new IP if you want, but I'd put it at the same level as Fable Journey, a new application of old IP. The wonderbook thing would be in the same class, new application of an existing IP, like, say, Forza Horizon.

Look, I'm with you if you want to say that Sony showed new IPs you'd like to play and MS didn't, that's personal preference, and completely legit, but trying to claim that MS didn't show _anything_ new is disingenuous.

For me, I loved the look of "Uncharted: Armageddon", uh, sorry, "Last of Us", I would love to play it, although I won't get to. I also liked the look of the Quantic Dreams game, although I'm not nearly as impressed with the facial animation as other people seem to be. Sony has some great games coming up, but so does Microsoft, and claiming otherwise is just sour grapes.

I am sorry. The post wasn't meant to negative towards those franchise and activate some people's defense force badge and power up their ability to make disparaging comments that add nothing to the thread.

I am not stating that Sony franchises like UC, KZ, GT or GOW aren't highly regarded or critically acclaimed or that they shouldn't be. I am not trying to disparage those franchises in any way. But within the scope of using E3 as a marketing tool, Sony and MS would be better served by pushing features and titles that are more capable of resonating with mainstream consumers and casual gamers. Franchises like Gears, Halo, UC, GT and others aren't pushing demand to point where MS and Sony can comfortably generated profits while providing high end tech.

It's best to view a strong lineup of exclusives as a necessary but not sufficient condition for a successful platform. The Xbox wouldn't be where it is today if it weren't for Halo.

I can understand the frustration among fans who think the exclusive titles are stagnating, especially when entertainment services and further platform monetization seem to be commanding most of Microsoft's attention. To some this can be interpreted as Microsoft neglecting its hardcore audience. Certainly compared to Sony they expend less effort in developing games and new IP.

Of course in founding a new studio MS went through a lot of effort to ensure their most iconic franchise will continue. Giving fans what they want doesn't signal neglect to me. Sure it's a bit repetitive, and even Nintendo gets flak for how formulaic some of its key franchises are, but it's Halo and that counts for something among fans the same way Zelda does.

Of course in founding a new studio MS went through a lot of effort to ensure their most iconic franchise will continue. Giving fans what they want doesn't signal neglect to me. Sure it's a bit repetitive, and even Nintendo gets flak for how formulaic some of its key franchises are, but it's Halo and that counts for something among fans the same way Zelda does.

Halo isn't capable of the same kind of franchise reinvention that Nintendo manages to achieve with its core franchises. Comparing it to Nintendo's stuff is a mistake imho, as sooner or later, if MS continues to bank solely on too small a portfolio of first party games (mostly shooters at that), then those games will run out of favour with the fanbase as franchise fatigue sets in.

I'm just going to take a wait and see approach with them for next-gen. If anyone would have asked me half way through this gen what next-gen console i would be buying, I'd definitely have said both Sony's & MS. Now, depending on how MS go with the 720's launch, I'm not so sure.

Halo isn't capable of the same kind of franchise reinvention that Nintendo manages to achieve with its core franchises. Comparing it to Nintendo's stuff is a mistake imho, as sooner or later, if MS continues to bank solely on too small a portfolio of first party games (mostly shooters at that), then those games will run out of favour with the fanbase as franchise fatigue sets in.

Franchise fatigue? Because they're mostly shooters?

You haven't checked a top sellers listed this generation, ever?

I'm really spinning with a bad case of deja vu, because all we heard prior to the 360 launch was that MS was too reliant on shooters and needed to expand their outreach to RPGs and JPRGs and how Sony has such a breadth of different opportunities while the MS offerings always just provide: Sports, FPS, Racing and 3rd Person Shooters and how a console like that won't appeal to a large enough audience to really be a success.

Well, we've seen that it does. And when people don't want to play those core MS-esque games, MS has fostered a huge XBLA, Indie Games, and is building on Kinect to provide those expanding experiences.

And somehow, they get no credit for that, and we've got the same people using the same base arguments that were thrown around 7 or 8 years ago. The 360 has nothing but shooters!! And their exclusives are all sequels. And they're all shooters too!!

Unbelievable.

Is that a joke? Most of those are plastic games that will not interest the hardcore. Someone said it would be a tragedy if MS didnt do Gears 4, Halo 4 etc, I think it's a tragedy they aren't showing any innovation - not for 'serious' games anyway,

I'm not claiming anything is tilted in Microsoft favor, I'm claiming Microsoft showed just as much new IP as the other players, and by your own count, I'm right.

I don't find that to be very intellectually honest. Obviously Sony was the only one of the 3 who actually showed some new and fresh content.

I definately agree with Brad with regards to MS's conference, but I think he also gives Sony way too much credit.

All 3 conferences were shitty... Sony's was just less shitty than the other two.

As for MS neglecting their core gamer... well come on, they are! Their focus is completely on casual games and media integration. Lets call a spade a spade. The fact they are pumping out a sequel to Halo is simply the bare minumum they could possible be doing, and lets face it, franchise fatique is getting extremely heavy there (Halo 3, Halo ODST, Hal Reach, Halo CE, Halo 4... all in 6 years? Yeesh... ).. and a sequal to Forza, not even made bu Turn10? Ya, excuse me while I contain my excitement! (well I am still a bit excited, but it's not even turn10!!)

I don't think there's any need to sugarcoat things. MS is clearly not really the manufacturer you can count on anymore to bring new AAA IP's, they have very clearly shifted their console to the mainstream/casual/entertainment focus. That's fine. (Well it would be fine, if the Dashboard wasnt such a complete mess of ad's and other bullshit content) Sony is certainly more attractive for me these days... and I would imagine most early adopters / hardcore gamers would feel the same way.

How insane would MS be to announce new IP at this E3 for the 360?

Some of you are completely crazy. If MS doesn't have any new IPs for the 720 launch, everyone will bitch. If MS keeps all their new IPs for the 720 launch and leans on existing franchises (Halo, Gears) to keep the 360 from hitting end of life, those same people will be yelling "Where's teh Haloz??" when MS launches the 720 and shows off new IP.

Fact is that Sony tying new IP to the PS3 at this point isn't a good sign for the PS4.

And why is that?

Going to Tretton's comments, I don't think PS4 will be coming out in 2013. Not that it's bad news. :p

People are extremely short sighted. All these MS don't care about the hardcore comments are going to be crow food when they show at next E3:

Alan Wake 2
Ryse
New Exclusive Epic game
Destiny
Rare's New IP or Two new IP
LionHead's New IP
MGS Vancouver's New FPS
Forza 5

All these angry and neglected "xbox" fans will be eating crow until 2017. Afterwards they'll be welcomed to complain again about Alan Wake 5, new IP Sequel 3, new IP Prequel 1, etc. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its unlikely Epic is signing any more exclusivity deals.

And Sony certainly has Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Guerilla, Media Molecule and others all working on new IP for next gen. Their commitment to new PS3 experiences in no way compromises their preparedness for next gen. That's the benefit of having more first party developers than MS and Nintendo combined.

I think its unlikely Epic is signing any more exclusivity deals.

And Sony certainly has Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Guerilla, Media Molecule and others all working on new IP for next gen. Their commitment to new PS3 experiences in no way compromises their preparedness for next gen. That's the benefit of having more first party developers than MS and Nintendo combined.

Nintendo has more first party studios than Sony.

Back