Star Wars 1313

You guys are just describing staw wars: the force unleashed. It does literally all of that. And imo is a fricken brilliant game for it too.
I haven't played it, always wanted to try it out but never got around to it.

I remember how it was said to be a technologically challenged game, a lot of cool new engine tech wrapped into one game. It was said to be it's downfall due to a lot bugs with so many experimental things wrapped together.

TFU 2 was supposed to fix those issues while building a better game in general, too bad a lot of internal issues at LucasArt screwed that up.

---------

Is this Star Wars game being a shooter supposed to help it succeed where stuff like The Force Unleashed failed in the eyes of LucaArts upper management?

It just feels overly hypocritical that LucaArts is jumping back into big-budget games (a rumored next-gen title at that) when they've been dragging their heels on so many other past projects with much more promising concepts.

Could another publisher pick up the game? Seems there's a lot of interest, and if Disney are happy to let other people fit the bill for making SW games, I can't see that there'd be any objection. Unless they want some stupid fee up front.

Maybe in truth it's time to let SW die? I fear that as long as it continues, the memory will be ruined more and more with crappier and crappier cash-ins and nothing of real artistic value.

I don't want to be a snob, but even the early Star Wars don't classify as having artistic value. Great movies, lots of fun, likeble characters, an inventive universe, captivating story. Sure it's got all that, and they are certainly multiple levels of quality above most of the cash-in crap that's been put out using its brand, but artistic value? That's pushing it a little.

Head of Avalanche Studios:
yRNSKS8.png

I don't want to be a snob, but even the early Star Wars don't classify as having artistic value. Great movies, lots of fun, likeble characters, an inventive universe, captivating story. Sure it's got all that, and they are certainly multiple levels of quality above most of the cash-in crap that's been put out using its brand, but artistic value? That's pushing it a little.

He was talking about the great and innovative Lucasarts games like X-wing.

I don't want to be a snob, but even the early Star Wars don't classify as having artistic value.
Strongly disagree. The design ethos of early star wars most certainly had a lot of artistic value. The iconic designs of star wars' many costumes, props, vehicles, even hairstyles and environments all attest to that. The story of the original movie itself is timeless, it's based on concepts and themes common in theater, myth and religion dating back since ancient times.

Sorry about the off-topic here, though. Not that it really matters all that much, seeing as the game is dead.

One can debate art (high art and low art and consumerism as art or not etc.) till the cows come home. What I'm talking about is creating where the motivation is in considerable part the end product. Games made with care to the experience, so creating a Star Wars game about Star Wars that feels Star Wars-y, as opposed to slapping some Star Wars visuals over a puzzler. I'm going to lament the loss of the SW:Battlefronts, and hope PS4 has PS2 compatibility with upscaling so I can replay SWB2. What we saw of that game (next-gen version) had lots of promise of recreating with passion the realms of Tatooine and the characters of the different sides. It didn't have to be canonical to be a high-value creation. Instead we'll just have SW:Bobble-head buy-expensive-toys-to-unlock-new-characters games. SW is basically a toy brand that exists solely for commercial reasons now and not because the people behind it are passionate about the creative aspects.

Our only hope is that 3rd parties see the value in high quality SW games and are willing to invest, but my gut reaction is Disney will charge stupid money for the license and scare developers away. Any number of devs could remake X-Wing in Unreal Engine, it wouldn't necessarily be particularly costly, it'd have a pretty guaranteed success in the couple of million sales, yet it's unlikely to happen.

One can debate art (high art and low art and consumerism as art or not etc.) till the cows come home. What I'm talking about is creating where the motivation is in considerable part the end product. Games made with care to the experience, so creating a Star Wars game about Star Wars that feels Star Wars-y, as opposed to slapping some Star Wars visuals over a puzzler. I'm going to lament the loss of the SW:Battlefronts, and hope PS4 has PS2 compatibility with upscaling so I can replay SWB2. What we saw of that game (next-gen version) had lots of promise of recreating with passion the realms of Tatooine and the characters of the different sides. It didn't have to be canonical to be a high-value creation. Instead we'll just have SW:Bobble-head buy-expensive-toys-to-unlock-new-characters games. SW is basically a toy brand that exists solely for commercial reasons now and not because the people behind it are passionate about the creative aspects.

Our only hope is that 3rd parties see the value in high quality SW games and are willing to invest, but my gut reaction is Disney will charge stupid money for the license and scare developers away. Any number of devs could remake X-Wing in Unreal Engine, it wouldn't necessarily be particularly costly, it'd have a pretty guaranteed success in the couple of million sales, yet it's unlikely to happen.

Fair enough. Point taken and agreed with on my part, I just wanted to nitpick with the liberal use of the word "art" just for the sake of nitpicking really. I hope this doesn´t trigger a discussion of what is art and what isn´t, I´d hate to be responsable for that, so let´s stop it here. Excuse my bitchyness, hehe.

Hmmm I was wondering that this could have a bright side... specially if Disney licenses Star Wars games to different Publisher/Developers...

Might we have an X-Wing game using a different 3d engine by say... a game dev that might actually try to make a serious (but not too serious) X-Wing sim with online for next gen consoles?

Might we have a 3d fighting game using a different 3d engine by say... a game dev that may either make the game arcade style... or actually try to get close to almost simulation?

Might we have a Pod Racer...

Might we get a FPS with troopers like Republic Commando...

This could be a good thing if we don't get limited to one dev and one 3d engine... Dice frostbite Star Wars FPS?

You have a point. Before, the license was tied to Lucasarts. If Disney are open to suggestions, there must be developers keen to pick up the license as it pretty much guarantees a financially viable minimum interest in your game. In the competing space of online shooters, one based on SW seems a great way to differentiate and compete with COD, for example. So maybe I should be a little less pessimistic for the moment? ;)

Shifty... I really hope that my wild guess based on how the article was worded gives us that...

It could really be a breath of fresh air to see Star Wars licensed games in different 3d engines so long as the games are taken seriously and not go into imitating the lowest common denominator.

I actually got a chance to play the SEGA SW Racer Arcade game with the pod cabinet, the graphical levels or art in that game are still ahead of every effort that came since despite so called hardware upgrades... not sure something could be made like a custom controller like peripherals of old console days like the Virtual On Twin Sticks or that $200 dollar controller that got no support when the console it was made for did not support it... I absolutely dislike the idea of hand waving motion controls unless it actually makes sense for the game... but precision gaming requires either custom controllers or game pads.

Gran Turismo 5 has proven that racing wheels are still able to sell... and I'm sure thats the case for other racers out there so maybe the idea of a custom controller that could be used with both the Pod Racer and X-Wing or Starfighter action simulation game... if taken seriously, funded seriously and developed seriously could make a pretty robust game.

So long as not every other Star Wars license game turns into a Jedi/force user repeat quotes marathon.

Star Wars is in EA's hands so MAYBE they will save 1313.
I guess Visceral Games could do it since DICE is working on SW: Battlefront.

The game was as much about the team as it was about the technology. The core developers are absolutely necessary to complete it as it was envisioned, it's nearly impossible for an outsider to understand the systems even if it was well documented.

But the team was already scattered half a year ago... It is very unlikely that this certain game can be saved. Maybe start from scratch or something like that...

EA could at least "use" the 1313 overall concept (characters,settings, core game mechanics) and start form there.
Completing it might be problematic as you say, especially because EA internally is using Frostbite 3, but no need to throw away a good idea.

All of the sound, art and so on is still there of course, it hasn't vaporized just because lucasarts self-destructed and imploded. It could be re-assembled in a new engine (frostbite, whatever). You'd need to re-create the AI, scripting etc of course since that was part of the old framework.

Not impossible, but perhaps so much work that would EA or anyone else actually bother...?

A sad tale all around. Disappointing too. Highly disappointing. I was really looking forward to this game.

bump

#1 full uncut E3 2012 demo that ran real-time on PC with tree GTX680s
T_T It looks so great. It has the "smoothness" of the presentation that Order 1886 had, perfect switches between cinematic moments and gameplay, with no "videogam jank" that would pull me out of the experience.

#2 Kathleen Kennedy mentioned that LucasFilm is looking into revitalizing old shelved projects such as SW Underworld TV show [for which George commissioned writing of 100 scripts] and SW 1313 video game. I don't expect anything happening around this anytime soon, but it is nice they are not forgetting this stuff.
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-tv-show/

Back