Star Wars 1313

It's not just AA, there's a lot of lens effects going on like slight chromatic aberration and such.
Considering the fact that ILM personnel are involved it's not a surprise. What little has been shown was impressive indeed.

Then again the best Star Wars games are still the X-wing/Tie fighter ones and the Dark Forces games, particularly the first one... at least in my opinion.

I was so ready to call BS on this when they showed it on GT.

Very impressive indeed. Although its just a shame that I'm personally not interested in any starwars game where you cannot play as a Jedi (what's the point if you're not a Jedi).

They should have done a new Jedi Knight with this tech, or a new KOTOR game in the style of ME :D

Never really liked the Jedi stuff in games. Playing as a gadget based character is just a lot more interesting. Playing as a canonical Jedi using a canonical light saber always means the developers have to come up with some bullshit enemies who can survive light saber attacks and are immune to the Force for some dumb ass reason. The result is a game which hardly feels like you are a Jedi in the first place. It's the Superman conundrum. Nearly all-powerful beings make for terribly uninteresting characters unless you elevate everyone else as well, but then you have to ask yourself why you picked such characters in the first place.

Yeah, jedi have been poison to games in a lot of ways. There is no reason a thug with a vibrosword should be able to go toe to toe with a lightsaber wielding jedi, but that's what you get in the interest of gameplay.

http://www.giantbomb.com/e3-2012-star-wars-1313-interview/17-6163/
2min 20sec mark

Dominic Robilliard [SW 1313 creative director] mentioned that they painfully transfered "depth compositing simulation of explosions" from offline ILM render farms to the realtime gameplay setting. He specifficly pointed that they used this in crash sequence between two ships [not shown @ e3 publicly] and beginning of the firefight to showcase dramatic situations.

Anyone cares to explain what that is, or how is it done?

I heard that ILM artists can tweak explosions and fire almost realtime using a very smart simulation system consisting of 256 flat 2D simulations, each one rendered realtime on their renderfarm. By simply compositing flat simulations on the z-axis, you can obtain a good sense of volume. I guess they reused this trick with fewer layers to obtain this incredible volumetric fire simulation in real time.

Somehow I am not that impressed. Maybe cos the gameplay looks substandard and "this-gen". Character faces and facial lighting has been done better in this gen itself ! Alos, looks like those futuremark realtime demos I have seen on my PC for long now.

I saw this at E3. It's still very very early, I mean we're talking pre-alpha here. Also actual gameplay demo portion lasted only a few minutes.

Anyway, everything they showed was in real time and I've never seen anything like it in regards to graphics and physics. There was no UI to speak of except for a little framerate counter in the bottom right-hand corner (ran in a modern PC--declared top of the line hardware--and ran mostly at a solid 30FPS with a few pauses here and there). There was no dialog trees/options when conversation took place, so it's tough to know what was scripted and what would be optional for the player. They did state this was the first mature LucasArts game game ever made, and that there would be no Jedi and no force powers--I like it!! My personal opinion is this is a next-gen console title and suspect we probably won't see it until 2014.

Other notes:

-I was able to confirm this was not Clint Hockings games.

-The environments were grimy, chunky and dirty with rubber tubes and piping lining the walls, crawling behind paneling. Much like the aesthetic we saw with the original trilogy (Episodes 4, 5 and 6), and not the ultra-clean sharpen ones from the new movies (episodes 1, 2 and 3).

-There was a point in the demo where an explosion blew a door open and watching the way objects reacted to it was stunning because it was remarkably realistic, and almost eerie.It just seemed so much more advanced than Havok.

-The demo I used a "test character" and not the real protagonist.

-All of Lucas Inc is somehow involved in the development of this game including Lucasfilm, ILM, Lucasfilm Animation, Skywalker Sound, etc.

-Voice acting was top notch and appeared to be

-All animations, including facial, are done via mocap> I'd say the quality was perhaps slightly better than what we see in the Uncharted series. It was remarkable.

Can't wait to see more! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Never really liked the Jedi stuff in games. Playing as a gadget based character is just a lot more interesting. Playing as a canonical Jedi using a canonical light saber always means the developers have to come up with some bullshit enemies who can survive light saber attacks and are immune to the Force for some dumb ass reason. The result is a game which hardly feels like you are a Jedi in the first place. It's the Superman conundrum. Nearly all-powerful beings make for terribly uninteresting characters unless you elevate everyone else as well, but then you have to ask yourself why you picked such characters in the first place.

Never understood why though. I would thoroughly enjoy a game designed like a mousou game where you get swarmed by a crap load of shocktroopers that you can simply dismember in one hit each. Add in some platforming to add in some variety, as well as enemy Force-wielders and you have a recipe for a godly jedi starwars game ;-)

It's about time somebody makes a kick ass Star Wars game. The universe certainly is rich enough.

According to Mike Capp on twitter it's made with Unreal Engine 3. I'm surprised because I thought LucasArts had the in house talent for their own engine. The Force Unleashed games had pretty strong technology behind them.

Lucas has been through multiple reorgs. Most of the TFU team was let go back in 2008 if I recall correctly. That being said, those games used plenty of licensed tech (and I'm told it was kinda a mess).

Somehow I am not that impressed. Maybe cos the gameplay looks substandard and "this-gen". Character faces and facial lighting has been done better in this gen itself ! Alos, looks like those futuremark realtime demos I have seen on my PC for long now.
A game with good graphics doesn't mean it's good game all-around. I get that this is where next-gen consoles are taking us, better looking games that are just well... better looking. Not that more horsepower and easier dev tools isn't a good thing, but it just seems like more of a headache cost-wise for everyone.

More pre-order/day-one DLC, more restrictions on used games, and an increasing focus on games as a service/subscription model. It's just becoming an arms-race where the focus is more on better graphics and higher development where no one will take a step back and that maybe this is all a little ridiculous.

*end rant*

Never understood why though. I would thoroughly enjoy a game designed like a mousou game where you get swarmed by a crap load of shocktroopers that you can simply dismember in one hit each. Add in some platforming to add in some variety, as well as enemy Force-wielders and you have a recipe for a godly jedi starwars game ;-)
I would to love see game like that as well.

I'd like a melee/hack-and-slash game where the grunts actually pose a challenge by being better organized and gaining power-buffs (or stronger weapons) on the field from bosses/leaders. That way you have to choose to take out the leader first or deal with the grunts head-on before you even fight the leader.

I would to love see game like that as well.

I'd like a melee/hack-and-slash game where the grunts actually pose a challenge by being better organized and gaining power-buffs (or stronger weapons) on the field from bosses/leaders. That way you have to choose to take out the leader first or deal with the grunts head-on before you even fight the leader.

You guys are just describing staw wars: the force unleashed. It does literally all of that. And imo is a fricken brilliant game for it too.

Well you have all these in Jedi Knight II jedi outcast minus the crap load of ennemies to slice through, which for me is the ultimate jedi simulator. ( although the dismembering has to be activated with cheatcode ).
I would kill for a direct sequel to it ( not jedi academy though )...
There were plenty of things to do with the forcepowers amusing things, even playing stealhtly with the force mind trick.

Just wondered why it didn't have a sequel...The force unleashed was nice but...meh.

I loved the lightsaber dueling in jedi outcast.

But 1313 looks quite nice, reminds me of shadow of the empire or bounty hunter.

Honestly, the worst thing that happened to everything Star Wars is that it all become one big Jedi circle-jerk. The original trilogy is the best Star Wars material out there, and the Jedi stuff is pretty limited. I'd rather play a game that had original trilogy style action, then another mystical martial-arts adventure in the Star Wars universe.

Indeed, even the jedi material was pretty limited in the Original trilogy. Everytime someone took out a lightsaber it was serious business. Now it like candies and the fights in the later material are too martial art based, I think the prequel trilogy is to be blamed for it as they brought about this shift even Yoda was doing acrobatics and fighting.

Yeah. The first trilogy introduced the Jedi like this mysterious force that we were gradually introduced to from episode to episode. There was a better emphasis on the Jedi mythology and story. The prequel trilogy presented the Jedis too explicitly. Here they are, they are powerful unstoppable and they can do amazing stuff for your eyes to feast on.
Unfortunately this is something too common with today's movies. Since visual effects have improved so much compared to 30 or 40 years ago and action sells, directors are more likely to show more action and impressive visuals to sell their movies. Back in the old days since visual effects were costly and less convincing they had to rely on other areas to make their movies attractive. Visual effects and action pack sequences are easier ways to extend the length of a movie and keep the interest of the viewer than trying to figure engaging story, dialogue and character development.
Old classics such as the Aliens, Rambo, Indiana Jones and even the Matrix evolved differently through their recent sequels as more action packed and more eye candy movies but they lack in substance.

Back