Watch_Dogs by Ubisoft

However I would like to know about Neo-Gaf's consensus about this matter after the new PC footage.

A) That the PS4 will melt (this time).
B) The lighting and lightning is awful.
C) PC FTW (this time)!!!!
D) Where is the XB1 footage "again"?
E) The game still doesn't match the 2012 trailer.

A) That the PS4 will melt (this time).
C) PC FTW (this time)!!!!
D) Where is the XB1 footage "again"?

a) LOL. That was awesome.
b) Lightning?
c) As usual.
d) Sony have a publishing deal with Ubisoft, so it's unlikely you'll see Xbox One footage much.
e) No, it was more a tech demo in which they picked a single scene the applied almost every effect in the game - night time, shadows, lightning, rain, wind. Or as they call it Chicago, Thursday evening.

a) LOL. That was awesome.
b) Lightning?
c) As usual.
d) Sony have a publishing deal with Ubisoft, so it's unlikely you'll see Xbox One footage much.
e) No, it was more a tech demo in which they picked a single scene the applied almost every effect in the game - night time, shadows, lightning, rain, wind. Or as they call it Chicago, Thursday evening.

B) Lots of hoopla over the lightning looking bad during the rainy night scene.

http://abload.de/image.php?img=watchdogsvmsfq.gif

b) Isn't that lightning reflecting off buildings but which isn't directly visible?

I don't know. It doesn't bother me. Honestly, the game is starting to look better from trailer to trailer. So UBI has gotten my money again... :cry::LOL:

Agreed on both, a better lighting module could have really made a huge difference. As for lightning, I liked that is is casting some dynamic shadows as it strikes, still that is not enough. I believe AC4 had the best lightning in recent memory. It too looked phenomenal during raining scenes. Way better than regular day/night scenes.

Originally Posted by DieH@rd View Post

Great article about why they delayed the game, how complex it is, how they are striving to create open world game that is very reactive to user's play style.

It proves that Ubisoft know that they just can mess up with this game, especially if it wants to be the best game in 2014. Hopefully, they well-polish the game graphics. I saw the latest Watch Dogs video and not really impressed with the whole graphics, compared to Infamous: Second Son.. They have to really prepare this game to be a massive one. And given that this is the next-gen game, then they also need to highlight the graphics sector of this game, not just gameplay. It has to be PERFECT.

At this point I just hope the game has a nice story, with interesting missions and likable characters since the graphics really don't sell me that much. Gonna have to make do with them cross gen titles till the real meat comes later in the year (The Order 1886, Division, Arkham Knight).

This is very much ubi's next gen version of AC. A new IP, with ambitious design and huge complex world, made to show what next genny worlds and gameplay should be like (even though its paradoxically coming on ps360 as well haha).
Only that with AC they prioritized releasing the game on schedule, over releasing a fully polished title. It still ended up making lots of money anyway, and every new title sells ton's as well contradicting the naysayers that say anualizing is a bad idea. So it is interesting to note that even though that proved to be a successfull formula, Ubi is willing to try doing things different this time.
Let's just not forget that even if they say they took the time to iron the game's biggest problems out, that does not exclude the possibility that the final product might still be buggy and unbalanced. Time'll tell.

I was hoping this game was more grounded in reality, and less to do with Sci-Fi shenanigans.

Stolen from GAF...

LsBqPSJ-670x373.jpg

Gif (goes by real fast): http://brontopixel.com/images/2014/04/12/Watch_Dogs_Welcome_to_Chicago3.gif

I was about to post this. 3:28 into the Welcome to Chicago trailer is some form of mech creature and it fits the plot of technology becoming more pervasive in the city. Of course you can't tell if these are authorised security drones, the product of criminal elements, or a bit of both - i.e. security enforcement mechs are used then vigilanties like Aiden build their own to fight back.

But big mechs + hacker = carnage ;)

2014-03-29%20Watch_Dogs%20Welcome%20To%20Chicargo%203-29.png

Last edited by a moderator:
@DieH@rd thanks for the link.

The city and vehicles are of today's style and standard ...yet, humanity has only advanced in the armed to the teeth robotic creepy crawl department. Just saying...

FYI: Not saying WD wouldn't be joyful to play ...just hoping for a more grounded in reality approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
The city and vehicles are of today's style and standard ...yet, humanity has only advanced in the armed to the teeth robotic creepy crawl department. Just saying...

It's not quite clear when the game is set. You're already being asked to suspend belief by believing a city would be run by a series of computers that can predict crime and deploy police in advance.

But I think I get where you're coming from. The draw of Watch_Dogs for me is a nice realistic city to play in. If it turns into a mech vs mech fight 10 hours in to the 40 hours story then I think I'll be quite disappointed. However if it's a brief plot twist somewhere along the way, i.e. some prototype things are release (or escape) then they disappear, I think that'd be quite cool.

At a guess I'd say the CtOS becomes sentient and develops an advanced paramilitary security force to do its bidding, and it's up to Pearce and his rebel hacker cohorts to stop it. Cuz y'know…TWIST!

If this turns into Terminator Chronicles: The Early Days, I will be really disappointed. Probably. Hard to tell. But this is not the game that's being sold.

Mind you I remember the Trigen appearing in the original Far Cry. I loved it, but it put a lot of people off.

Back