MS E3 2012 conference

I also liked the look of the Quantic Dreams game, although I'm not nearly as impressed with the facial animation as other people seem to be.

I thought I was alone with that. People seem to confuse good acting performances with good facial deformations or what?

The Crytek project isn't vaporware but they've completely taken it away from the Budapest studio so it's basically restarted, maybe even from the ground up.

Open indie tracks with everyone and their dog uploading music makes 30 million tracks of which 0.001% you'd actually care for. So the 30 million number (or any other) doesn't mean much to me. How many tracks are there that I'd care for? That'd be answered by describing what catalogues are included. Everything ever published on this label or that? Everything published by every label in the past 20 years and nothing earlier? Are their movie soundtracks or not? It's the details that really matter; not the total number of songs. ;)

Maybe they will actually have songs in other languages than english? And movie/game/other soundtracks would be pretty cool as well!

tuna said:
Maybe they will actually have songs in other languages than english? And movie/game/other soundtracks would be pretty cool as well!

Spotify has a fair number of songs in other languages already, and even music unlimited has some stuff. You don't get to 15 million that easily. Some artists don't want to take part though, and some publishers that were in previously pulled out again later. Pretty annoying - this stuff is at its best when it has everything.

I currently have both Spotify and Music Unlimited and I have a tough time choosing one.

Ah didn't even think of that. There's also remixes of songs, especially with dance tracks. For example I tried Zune music pass for a bit and found it had far more of the particular remixes of songs that I wanted, compared to Spotify which was very lacking in comparison for that particular genre. Given that some dance songs will have 20+ remixes each, it's prolly not as hard to hit 30 million tracks as one would think. There really is tons of music out there, so I'm not surprised that Spotify's 18 million or so just isn't nearly enough. i bet I still won't find all the tunes I want even on Xbox Music's 30 million playlist.

bkilian,

The black levels in apps are still messed up. I'd love if the next console followed good video standards and practices. I doubt it takes much effort. If there's a way for you to echo that feedback to the Xbox team, that'd be greatly appreciated.

bkilian,

The black levels in apps are still messed up. I'd love if the next console followed good video standards and practices. I doubt it takes much effort. If there's a way for you to echo that feedback to the Xbox team, that'd be greatly appreciated.

A calibration tool would be nice too...

A calibration tool would be nice too...

I rather calibrate my TV to a standard and not have the input devices mess with it. The problem with a built in calibration tool is that if doesn't adhere to standards, you're going to get those variants across all content on that input. If you have a receiver in the A/V chain, that's likely your only input for all devices.

If they follow the standards AND provide a good built in calibration tool, then yeah, that's a win win.

The USA is MS's primary market, it's the only market where they are still no1. So they fight hard to keep that market. They rather hand activision millions for getting an exclusive map pack, then to develop new IP. This gets them the most results so it's the safest option.

You make it seem like handing Activision chump change is a bad deal for the biggest game of the holiday season? Activison should hand MS some money. I've been watching FMA with my nephew on Netflix and I'm all about equivalent exchange now. :smile:

This thread is awesomely stupid.

I second (or third) a commitment to have the next-gen consoles obey a clear standard for display output, that is consistent across games, apps and disc-based video playback, so that the display can be calibrated with a standard calibration tool, or calibrated with an app based tool available to the console. I believe the PS3 is in good shape, in that regard - 360, not so much.

But overall Sony Worldwide studios employs 2700+ people. If you add together all Nintendo's first party studios it's about 1200 people. There aren't great numbers available for MS, but if I (charitably) assume all the new studios working on unannounced projects have on average 200 people each and add that to the known numbers it's still only like ~1400.

The fact that Sony employs far more people in their first party stable than either Nintendo or MS isn't exactly a secret in the industry, or a controversial statement.

How many of those people are actually programmers & artists? For all we know half of them are janitors. LOL Sorry couldn't resist. BTW, when did quantity equate with quality? It could be said Microsoft & Nintendo need less people to do the same quality as Sony. ;) Zing Sorry for that one too. LOL

In the future can you keep your anti-Microsoft/pro-Sony vitriol out of Beyond3D & Xbox threads? It might be welcomed at GAF but not here. Thanks in advance.

Back to the _MICROSOFT_ thread...

Here's some hands-on video of Smart Glass in action. It's intriguing to say the least...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6OC9a-_OWQ

It makes me want a tablet more now. If they pull through as promised on multi-platform support I should be able have nice selection to pick from.

Tommy McClain

I rather calibrate my TV to a standard and not have the input devices mess with it. The problem with a built in calibration tool is that if doesn't adhere to standards, you're going to get those variants across all content on that input. If you have a receiver in the A/V chain, that's likely your only input for all devices.

If they follow the standards AND provide a good built in calibration tool, then yeah, that's a win win.
We did not intentionally break the black levels.

Since my direct manager is Stacey Spears (of http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/), we do understand the importance of good calibration.

This thread is awesomely stupid.

I second (or third) a commitment to have the next-gen consoles obey a clear standard for display output, that is consistent across games, apps and disc-based video playback, so that the display can be calibrated with a standard calibration tool, or calibrated with an app based tool available to the console. I believe the PS3 is in good shape, in that regard - 360, not so much.
It doesn't help that the 360 uses a piecewise linear approximation for the gamma curve, that's for sure.

We did not intentionally break the black levels.

Since my direct manager is Stacey Spears (of http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/), we do understand the importance of good calibration.

Here's a couple questions for you, and maybe you can't answer one of them:

Why are the black levels weird with the new apps? The Netflix app has very grey blacks, and it wasn't like that with the older client on the old dashboard.

What do you guys do to calibrate your displays at the office? I know you're working on sound processing stuff with Kinect, so maybe you don't bother, but I'm curious to know if people do a standard light-metered calibration for best results.

More Smart Glass hands-on...

http://youtu.be/-kzJV9MxWYs

Tommy McClain

That's pretty cool, actually.

The gameplay vid for Ascend is just a map function, which isn't that interesting to me, but then I was thinking ... inventory management. Oh my god, could they ever do some cool stuff to really do good inventory management for RPGs. I'm sure there will be some very good ideas. I'll keep my eye on it. Thinking of getting a tablet for app development anyway.

Here's a couple questions for you, and maybe you can't answer one of them:

Why are the black levels weird with the new apps? The Netflix app has very grey blacks, and it wasn't like that with the older client on the old dashboard.

What do you guys do to calibrate your displays at the office? I know you're working on sound processing stuff with Kinect, so maybe you don't bother, but I'm curious to know if people do a standard light-metered calibration for best results.
I don't know the details of that issue, sorry.

As for calibration, on the audio team we don't bother with video calibration, the graphics guys do, but I'm not sure what they use, I know Stacey calibrates his properly, but he would since he does a lot of video production.

Oh cool! Glad to see Stacey is still with MS. He's always had good straight forward input on avsforum.
Yes, I met him on avsforum when I was in the hddvd team and he was on the codec team. It's amusing to us that 5 years later we're now on the same team in a different org. I hadn't actually met him in person until a month after he became my manager :)

And yet so many seem surprisingly tolerant of the compulsive Sony "trolling" from some here. It's a shame I don't have the mystique of being a developer like joker454 or an MS employee like bkilian to cloak myself in. It doesn't seem to matter when I have facts on my side.
Did I just get accused of Sony trolling while hiding behind my employment status? Huh. Considering I think Sony is actually an excellent game company and has multiple games i would have loved to play if i owned a PS3, that seems a bit odd. I also try not to disparage other companies online in general, mainly because I _am_ a known Microsoft employee, and it would not be considered professional.

Well, to each his own, I suppose.

Back