DOOM 3 BFG Edition - Remastered, Armour-mounted flashlights + DOOM 1 & 2 [360/PS3/PC]

Id Software Talks Doom 3: BFG Edition on PS3 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39148654&postcount=1
Quote:
PSB: How about the first two games – was anything tweaked there for PS3?

EW: They are pretty much straight ports, but I will say that they run really fast at 60 frames per second, even with four-player split screen play going on. If you’ve got a big TV that’s really going to stand out. The guys basically wrote it from scratch to get it working on PS3.

Quote:
PSB: So there’s the addition of the mounted flashlight to the game. Has anything else been modified for PS3?

EW: We’re making textural improvements to the characters and demons. We’ve completely rewritten the network code so that multiplayer is a better experience. In addition there’s also the Lost Mission Pack, containing seven new levels. They pick up from a certain part of the story line in the main game – without giving too much away, it’ll all make sense when you play it. You’re a different guy in a different part of the base but it’s the same world.

Quote:
PSB: How do you balance staying true to the original game with making improvements?

EW: Your first inclination is to make big sweeping changes because it’s something that you’ve looked at for a long time, so it doesn’t feel fresh anymore. We’ve really focused on keeping the core experience there. From talking to people on the show floor, a lot of them weren’t too happy with the idea of the flashlight as something separate. So integrating the flashlight into your main weapon seemed like a no-brainer, yet even then we still had people say they wanted to play the original way.

Another piece of feedback we had was that the game was too dark, so we’ve lit it some more here and there and tried to lead the player’s eye a little more. So there’ll be two modes – the original, unchanged version of Doom 3 and the updated one.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/22/id-software-talks-doom-3-bfg-edition-on-ps3/
They tried to said even in this game ps3 give a problem to maintain stable 60 fps now? Because here I missed the point to be so proud because four player splitscreen is really fast :???:... I'm starting to be a bit worried if this for id are remarkable results on the ps3...

Last edited by a moderator:
assurdum said:
They tried to said even in this game ps3 give a problem to maintain stable 60 fps now? Because here I missed the point to be so proud because four player splitscreen is really fast :???:... I'm starting to be a bit worried if this for id are remarkable results on the ps3...

4 player split screen at 60fps is quite impressive IMO. Cod is not 60fps 4 man

A standard 7600 GT can run Doom 3 on Ultra at 1920x1080 with 4xAA at 40fps so I expected more from this.

Would of liked to at least of seen native 1080 rendering.

In the light of all the other last-gen remakes, Doom 3 at 60 fps (is there AA?) doesn't seem all that shabby to me. Shadow of the Colossus only runs at 30 fps with a similar resolution and people still praised Bluepoint's efforts for the remaster. Heck, the Jak trilogy is actually sub-720p.

In the light of all the other last-gen remakes, Doom 3 at 60 fps (is there AA?) doesn't seem all that shabby to me. Shadow of the Colossus only runs at 30 fps with a similar resolution and people still praised Bluepoint's efforts for the remaster. Heck, the Jak trilogy is actually sub-720p.
What can I say, 100% agreed.

There were games like Half Life 2 that I expected to run at 60 fps on consoles, seeing how superior these consoles were compared to the hardware of the time, yet it runs at 30 fps on the PS3 and Xbox 360. :cry:

There are some more similar examples where I expected better, but I don't remember the name of those games exactly.

The RSX is effectively equivalent to a 7600GT when it comes to stencil performance. Doom 3 is a ROP fest.

Cheers
Well, PS3 and Xbox 360 are fixed hardware, which has its advantages -in this case- and some disadvantages. We will see in the final version.

I am fine with it.

Consoles are like real life. You can't upgrade your girlfriend. :smile:

Consoles are like real life. You can't upgrade your girlfriend. :smile:
Sure you can! You can add silicon to the chambers and also teach the AI a few new tricks which will perform better in time by correcting the errors. :p

Sure you can! You can add silicon to the chambers and also teach the AI a few new tricks which will perform better in time by correcting the errors. :p
:p Now that is an upgrade, people!

Adding to your comment, if you have a girlfriend who is the debil, patheticness at its best, and she leaves one fine morning, if you find a much more understanding woman, that would be also an upgrade.

Now you touched my weak point. I have only 7 videos on my Youtube account, just to show the sound quality of different soundfonts.

I am very, very proud of this one I uploaded minutes ago and the Future World by Helloween one. Sounds better than any CD to me at least:

MIDI music is and sounds amazing -if you have a fine General MIDI sounfont- :smile:.

I always added a very quick tutorial in my 7 Youtube videos -Description section- to help people to have a nice setup going from the very beginning. It's pretty easy.

As for Doom 3, it was my favourite game in the PS2/Xbox/GC generation. I was so proud of having an Xbox because it was able to run this game....

http://solkrieg.newgrounds.com/audio/

Thought you might appreciate some of my brother's work here, lots of video game remixes. ;) He messes with MIDI's quite a bit too. It's how he got his start.

So what's the deal here with the Doom 3 multiplayer? I wasn't even aware it had much in the way of competitive MP..

And how does this fare against the pre-existing, and extensively modded, PC version of the original Doom 3?

http://solkrieg.newgrounds.com/audio/

Thought you might appreciate some of my brother's work here, lots of video game remixes. ;) He messes with MIDI's quite a bit too. It's how he got his start.

So what's the deal here with the Doom 3 multiplayer? I wasn't even aware it had much in the way of competitive MP..

And how does this fare against the pre-existing, and extensively modded, PC version of the original Doom 3?
OMG, I am quite impressed and feel like a noob compared to him. In fact the song featured in the video of the quote has a lot of mistakes -I mixed it using the worst speakers you can imagine, laptop speakers that vibrate so easily-.

I am listening to your brother's songs and I wonder if Siegfried77 would love his Bramble Blast version, because it is so chilling, warm and captivating... Some of his Castlevania versions are quite eerie and authentic sounding, and I wonder what soft or hard synthesizer he uses.

Software wise I use Synthfont, Music Creator 6, FL Studio 10, and NoteWorthy Composer, mostly.

Before I forget, which game is his Clock Tower song from? I think I am in love with that song and I can't quite put my finger on what game it is from.

Your brother sounds like a fine composer to learn from. Send my congrats to him. PLEASE DO!!! I loved some of his songs) -my least favourite was the Bolero of Fire V2, because while the song is good it didn't sound as finely mixed as many others from his collection-.

I change some songs, try to create some music too, but it's mostly a hobby for me. My last uploaded video -I have 11, and I upload them from time to time, quite slowly- was meant to show certain sounds of the Roland TTS-1 soft synth and a soundfont. They sounded very realistic to me with those synths and I created a video about it.

Finally, I wouldn't mind to give him some feedback but here I don't think I have any. Wish him good luck.

Regarding multiplayer, wish I could help, but I didn't have a Live account on the Xbox 1 when I played Doom 3 so I never tried it.

Edit:

Nevermind, looks like they fixed the price. Hope they still honor the discounted price for me.

Well, I couldn't wait anymore and I have pre-ordered the game. :smile: Probably my last game this generation.

Among a few other reasons, the 60 fps of the game fascinate me, which is a feat in these consoles taking into account it runs at HD resolutions, along with the fact that I considered it a masterpiece back in the Xbox 1 times (I certainly missed the hordes of monsters characteristic of Doom 1 & 2 though).

I thought then that I could never see Doom 3 running on a console, and when I realized I was wrong -albeit Carmack mentioned it was pretty difficult to cram the game into 64MB of RAM, among other things- I was so hyped to see the result...and they certainly delivered. It just increased my liking for the game even more.

With this updated port of the original they seem to deliver once again (Valve, for instance, could take example to optimize their games -especially HL2- to run at 60 fps on the PS3 and X360, imo).

Also the original Xbox version was one of the best examples of optimization I have ever known about and it would be quite curious to know how the upcoming versions of the game fare compared to it.

There were moments when I was mesmerized by the performance and technology of the game on the Xbox. A clean game, featuring nice shaders, and the pistol looked great, along with some animations -my favourite being the spider robot-.

With the means and knowledge at their disposal I hope Digital Foundry makes an article about the game.

It could easily be one of the most engrossing in this section of Eurogamer to date. -a little feature including the Xbox original could be the icing on the cake-

When is this game supposed to release again? Feels like it should be out already... :p
The release date is soon, 19th of this month.

I hope it sells like hotcakes, which in turn is also great for me because I could play with many other people online without having to resort to CoD -not bad games at all, but I got stuck in CoD4- to play a game of the genre at 60 fps.

Aside from that I can't wait to see hell levels -whose names slip my memory at the moment- in HD. I remember they had some of the most spectacular graphics I had seen.

The game has a new checkpoint save system and improved rendering / lighting -back in the day it was fine already-, so if you add to this the old school style elements... and the game can keep a stable framerate all the time, it could be a truly phenomenal port in this gen.

I'm gonna splurge for the PC version, but it's not listed on Steam (yet), which is strange since Bethesda is usually pretty good at plugging their upcoming releases.

The release date is soon, 19th of this month.

I hope it sells like hotcakes, which in turn is also great for me because I could play with many other people online without having to resort to CoD -not bad games at all, but I got stuck in CoD4- to play a game of the genre at 60 fps.

Aside from that I can't wait to see hell levels -whose names slip my memory at the moment- in HD. I remember they had some of the most spectacular graphics I had seen.

The game has a new checkpoint save system and improved rendering / lighting -back in the day it was fine already-, so if you add to this the old school style elements... and the game can keep a stable framerate all the time, it could be a truly phenomenal port in this gen.

Agreed:cool:

Back