DOOM 3 BFG Edition - Remastered, Armour-mounted flashlights + DOOM 1 & 2 [360/PS3/PC]

This must be the only way iD can make money these days . . . re-release old shit.
Hm, I thought D3 was a pretty decent (and effing scary) game. I haven't been able to replay it in years because I get so fucking creeped out by the random laughing and bangs and stuff breaking and debris flying at me and monsters jumping me from behind and demonic glowing stuff and all of that. :LOL:

Well I don't remember any current console games have characters made only with 800 polygons :LOL:. Doom3 was pretty ahead of its time in graphics but even Resistance 1 takes a dump on it in almost everything except maybe lighting.

well, Doom 3 was a PC game back in 2004 and it was playable using a 1GHz Pentium 3 and DX7 GPU (GF4MX obviously image quality would suffer with such a VGA), in 2004 a high end VGA was a Geforce 6800, but most people were using much less impressive hardware to play it

Wow that Sikkmod looks pretty good! What sort of difference is there in texture resolution compared to the stock game? How's the performance of that mod?

I hope doom 1 and 2 include a huge midi soundfont, i.e. a 180MB one to take PS3 memory limitations in account.
Now you touched my weak point. I have only 7 videos on my Youtube account, just to show the sound quality of different soundfonts.

I am very, very proud of this one I uploaded minutes ago and the Future World by Helloween one. Sounds better than any CD to me at least:

MIDI music is and sounds amazing -if you have a fine General MIDI sounfont- :smile:.

I always added a very quick tutorial in my 7 Youtube videos -Description section- to help people to have a nice setup going from the very beginning. It's pretty easy.

As for Doom 3, it was my favourite game in the PS2/Xbox/GC generation. I was so proud of having an Xbox because it was able to run this game....

Nice tune. I'd like to hear your take on Stickerbrush Symphony. I think it's probably the best tune on the DK Country 2 OST. (and it even sounds fantastic straight out of a SNES)

Nice tune. I'd like to hear your take on Stickerbrush Symphony. I think it's probably the best tune on the DK Country 2 OST. (and it even sounds fantastic straight out of a SNES)
I know of that song thanks to you. I listened to it on Youtube after you told me about it and alas I realized I missed that song back in the time.

I only played the original DKC on the SNES before moving to PC. Thanks for sharing, Sigfried1977, I am thinking about trying to add my own flavour to it, someday.

I listened to the song in the original SNES sound, and it sent chills down my spine. What a lovely melody.

On a different note, I still have Final Doom from the very late 90s -I kept it in the box of a Diablo 2 Battlechest bundle-, Ultimate Doom and Doom 2.

I love listening to the MIDI music of the originals using great soundfonts, especially if you add some mods to play the game in true 3D. It runs so smooth, and looks good. I wonder how iD are going to implement the music in the old versions of Doom.

But I know that the music of Doom was created with the Roland Sound Canvas 55 in mind -Carmack said that it was the synthesizer they used-.

I have the Roland Soundfont. It is 10MB, not much these days -Titanic is 275MB, SoniVOX is 250-, SGM is 250MB, Crisis 3.01 is 3,4GB....!!!

Even so, it has a very balanced, warm sound, regardless the limitations of the time. It's amazing what Roland engineers could do with just that memory for samples.

p.s. I played the game on a SoundBlaster AWE32 featuring the 1MB General Midi Wavetable. Fine for its very very small size, Doom sounded decent on it, but not even close to the Roland SC-55.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, they re-released DOOM with extra maps two years after the original (Ultimate DOOM). Releasing this 8 years after DOOM 3 shipped is relatively tame by comparison.

oooh, ohh, juicy carmack hardware tweet alert

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/212557388987895810

Spektrum Sieci ‏@SpektrumSieci

@ID_AA_Carmack @DOOM is there any chance to see more "next gen effects" like DOF and a bit more tessellated meshes in Doom3BFG on PS3?

John Carmack John Carmack ‏@ID_AA_Carmack

@SpektrumSieci @DOOM Just getting Doom 3 BFG to 60fps on the PS3 is more challenging than you would think. Stencil shadows are raster pigs.

The best Doom1 soundtrack was on the 3DO console. Forget the MIDI sound card nonsense. ;)

Maybe they are trying to make sure it is 60 fps without exception or are adding some MSAA.

Seems a bit odd... You'd think it would perform pretty decently since the 7600GT (8ROPs@560MHz, 700MHz GDDR3) does quite well @ 1280x1024 from what I recall.

It's an old engine for sure but maybe they're adding new visual stuff and 1280*720 @ 60fps is still a challenge? I always had the impression that the Doom 3 engine wasn't doing very well with this gen's systems, Quake 4 & Prey (to a lesser extent) on 360 were not ideal ports with plenty of frame-rate drops IIRC.

It's an old engine for sure but maybe they're adding new visual stuff and 1280*720 @ 60fps is still a challenge? I always had the impression that the Doom 3 engine wasn't doing very well with this gen's systems, Quake 4 & Prey (to a lesser extent) on 360 were not ideal ports with plenty of frame-rate drops IIRC.

I'm not so sure about this honestly... he talking of sharper shadow gives problems of raster (reading the quote posted)... always curious to know how would work MLAA sony solution to sharp the shadow because to me could be a smarter solution...

Doom3's stencil shadows are razor sharp blocky chunky things already. What do you mean by sharper?

it's CPU hungry, though I had good results with an XP2400+ and 6800GT. that CPU may have a steadier single-thread performance than Xenon or PPU, for generic code.
shadow volumes are generated on the CPU and I remember reading this is the main reason for blocky heads and disappearing corpses.

the engine was also designed with no consideration for multi-threading, there's only so much you can bolt on after the fact. it's impressively old, was first demoed on a PowerPC G4 1GHz with the original geforce 3 before its release, before 911.

oh, I quickly found the video, head for 4:20 when steve jobs says "We're about to ship Mac OS ten", then he introduces john carmack. carmack comes on stage and shakes hand, then he almost runs to a row of computer terminals right away :LOL:. I'd love to do that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_buON1G17E

The engine got SMP support for Quake4. Surely they'll use that capability here.

Doom3's stencil shadows are razor sharp blocky chunky things already. What do you mean by sharper?

My apologies, I have misunderstood the terms of stencil shadows, by the way I just suggesting whether use lower resolution for the shadows on the ps3 & fixed with MLAA of sony could be a smart solution if possible...

Back