SIGGRAPH 2012

Colour me both curious and impressed.
Now I wonder what can be used in realtime fitting in less than 8ms (everyone wants 120Hz games right ?)
;)

For those coming, don't forget this year's Beyond Programmable Shading, which includes an updated version of "5 Major Challenges in Real-Time Rendering" from Johan Andersson, DICE. It's a half day course this year, and as usual we will be posting the slides from the talks.

http://bps12.idav.ucdavis.edu/

Can someone answer, raytracing always looks speckled (for lack of a better word) especially when in motion why is that ?

Can someone answer, raytracing always looks speckled (for lack of a better word) especially when in motion why is that ?

This example is pathtracing, which involves firing rays in a random direction from where a ray hits a surface (to get global illumination). These directions are chosen randomly (or pseudo-randomly) to prevent even worse sampling artifacts. This randomness means that for two adjacent pixels, a sample for one pixel might hit a light source quickly, and the sample for the other may hit an area of deep shadow, hence the disparity between the two. As the number of samples per pixel increases, the average value of the samples for each pixel approaches the true value and the disparity evens out. It looks worse in motion because of the relatively small number of samples per pixel before the frame is cleared for the new geometry positions, and there isn't any guarantee that a pixel which randomly hit shadow last time won't randomly hit a light this time (or vice versa).

Great paper, but I wonder if you can't get more coherence, and less revoxelization. At least in terms of re-rendering dynamic object 3 times each frame (even if it is a really low res proxy). I mean, most objects are going to be purely static in nature in relation to themselves. If you could just store the voxel representation of physics object X, say a classic barrel, and just move that representation around in the structure you'd probably get even more speedup.

Back