Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

Wow orangpelupa, are you overreacting a bit? "Fallen" is a faction [Fallen, Hive, Vex and Cabal], it doesent matter what his full name of the Walker is. :D

And if you look at the map from orbit, you can easily find "Devils Lair" icon on the cosmodrome map. It's the first Strike of the game.

Feels like I passed a barrier this morning, after several days. Finally got VG rank 2 and was able to buy legendary leg armor.

I already had an exotic helmet (got it from a purple engram I believe). So 2 out of 4 covered.

I still have 45 VG marks I believe so saving the next 20 to purchase another legendary armor, guantlets wont be too bad.

Chest Armor I hope to get from a Queens Wrath strike. Failing that, saving up another 65 VG marks wont be too bad either in addition to the 20 above.

I have two legendary weapons, a shotgun and a machine gun. The shotgun actually seems pretty crap what little I tried it. Not sure what the deal is but so far shotguns just seem crap to me in PvE I fail to see their use.

The legendary weapons are 120 Marks (I think, maybe 110 or 130) and require VG rank 3. For now I think I will try to get weapons from drops and leave it to luck of the draw rather than purchase them. This seems the most sensible strategy currently. Maybe later I will target a need there but for now it's definitely rounding out my armor set since that directly effects my light level.

Anyways just the leg armor pushed me from 24 where I'd been stuck for days to 25, halfway to 26. Considering I'm not too far away from the other two pieces for a full set, 28-29 seems in sight to me (after some upgrades of course), granted it'll take a few days mopping up at least. Then I'll have to start farming for relic iron and helium filaments to upgrade them, and soon I suppose I shall encounter the ascendant shards issue but I'm not there yet.

Then for 30, if I attempt it, nothing left but Vault of Glass...

@DieH@rd
thanks i though it was their name lol. glad to have google to find their area. the kill quest description too unclear for me. about the map, the route in planet is not as simple as the overworld map

Rangers, start hoarding Ascedant Shards as much as you can. You will get them as prizes and from dismantling legendary amor pieces [Queens pieces will maybe give you shard just once, Bungie nerfed them].

Each upgrade of armor defense will give you 2 lights. If you equip yourself with all legendaries + one exotic, you will need ~20-30 shards to reach lvl 28. If you have more you will be able to reach lvl29. If your gear can host 30 light per piece, only then you can reach lvl30.

Rangers, start hoarding Ascedant Shards as much as you can. You will get them as prizes and from dismantling legendary amor pieces [Queens pieces will maybe give you shard just once, Bungie nerfed them].

Each upgrade of armor defense will give you 2 lights. If you equip yourself with all legendaries + one exotic, you will need ~20-30 shards to reach lvl 28. If you have more you will be able to reach lvl29. If your gear can host 30 light per piece, only then you can reach lvl30.

Makes things clear. Now I can take an inventory of all my upcoming armor upgrades and what resources I need (now have 3/4 legendaries/exotic), and set about acquiring them.

I acquired 4 ascendant shards so far without trying, so it's something.

Since I got nice gear for Hunter class playing as a Warlock, as soon as I got my Hunter to lvl 20, my gear instantly brought me up to 24. :) Now I have both of my characters at lvl 27, but my Hunter has shitty weapons since I dismantled a lot of weapons playing as a Warlock and didn't save them.

Had a lot of fun leveling up another character. Now to grind to find materials to level up my armor for both classes, and save up marks for weapons.

I can't decide if this game sounds fun or not. Someone give me a ten-cent summary of this. Obviously, it's an FPS.

Is it a huge time suck that takes forever to do anything with tons of grinding for infrequent random drops? It often sounds like that.
Is it like Borderlands? I liked Borderlands.
Is multiplayer critical to enjoying the game? Is the MP mainly PvE? Is it massively multiplayer?

I can't decide if this game sounds fun or not. Someone give me a ten-cent summary of this. Obviously, it's an FPS.

Is it a huge time suck that takes forever to do anything with tons of grinding for infrequent random drops? It often sounds like that.
Is multiplayer critical to enjoying the game? Is the MP mainly PvE? Is it massively multiplayer?

Its like Borderlands but without the fun and humor.
Its shooting and movement is a lot like the Halo series.

Yes, but they promise to address that. and now they already partially fixed that if you take mission from Queen (exactly the same mission as you already have played hundreds of time before, but now with proper loot). The mission is RANDOM (man.. why bungie LOVE random things) so the best method to finish it is jumping back and forth between 2 area until randomly got the earth mission. it can be finished in 15 minutes and great for playing solo because there are lots of hiding area (you must not die if playing solo in queen mission).

dunno, i have not played borderlands.

Is multiplayer critical to enjoying the game?
nope and yes. You can play solo if you want but other people sometime will disturb your gameplay or stole your progress in finishing missions.

Is the MP mainly PvE?
its both PvE and PvP. The PvE is very repetitive, the PvP is confusing with no minimap. But the gameplay itself is enjoyable both in PvP and PvE. Basically its like Halo Online. Plays the same as Halo, but with much more repetitive PvE gameplay, and you can brings more friend (up to 6 players for some mission).

The Story, The Mission, and The Marker is often unclear. So be prepared to google often if you play alone.

Is it massively multiplayer?
yes and nope. Its presented as massively multiplayer but the player count is very small. only 3-6 players.

so its like playing and MMO with a group of friend (destiny best played with friends to fill the party), without disturbed by other random players.

EDIT:
early in the game, it presented you with The Freedom to finish mission with The Strategy that you like. Its fake. dont let that increase your expectation. Destiny is not like that. The Freedom to finish the mission the way you want, only appear in that mission. on every other mission, you cannot do the thing that you have done on that early mission. on every other mission you must wait Dinklebot to finish blabbering. you must wait for waves of enemy. you must wait.... for something.

The Waiting - Destiny's most used and annoying feature.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's definitely only fun if you're playing with friends. If you were playing alone, it would probably suck. If you were playing with randoms it would probably suck less. Playing with friends is a lot of fun. I'd say it's a requirement for the harder difficulties.

That said, the game becomes a grind after you've finished the campaign, if you want to do the raid and the nightfall mission and collect exotic gear. You start having to farm materials and worry about random drops. Once you have all legendary armour, you have to collect ascendent shards very slowly to upgrade your armour which will in turn upgrade your level. That's the only way to do the really high level content and it can be painful.

I've played it a lot, and I've had a lot of fun with it, but there have been stretches of "Why am I doing this?" MMO-type bullshit. Overall, it's been a good buy for me. Not the best game I've ever played, but I've put more hours into it than I have any other shooter in a long time.

Overall I liked Borderlands 2 more. The story is better, the world is better, and it's pretty funny and entertaining. Destiny is more challenging on the hard content, and I like that about it.

btw the random loot thing is making the process to get exotic, legendary, stuff is very very hard. i -never- get those from random loot, engram. Never, ever. Not even once.

in case you decided to play destiny, and as unlucky as me. Stick to Queen's quest on earth for 100% chance getting legendary stuff.

yeah bungie's plan to fix things up is a good thing although late, very late. i have repeated missions for too many times. but it is a great news for those that will jump into Destiny next week.

I'll be keeping my legendary engrams till the patch is released then. Too many times have I got shitty things from legendary engrams.

Don't. If you read the patch notes when the patch goes live they're going to downgrade any legendary engrams in your inventory to blues. Not sure why, but that's what they're doing.

As much as I like the game, and considering how much I've played it, I can't really give it anything but a good review, but I will say that I don't think it's going to have the legs I thought it would. Besides the raids, there isn't any content I haven't seen. So I'll play those, but otherwise my time with the game is pretty much done until the dlc is out. Will probably be able to play a couple other games this fall. My expectation was Destiny would take up all of the limited gaming time that I have.

Don't. If you read the patch notes when the patch goes live they're going to downgrade any legendary engrams in your inventory to blues. Not sure why, but that's what they're doing.
Thanks.

But it wouldn't have made any difference, because I just got shit all from the two legendary engrams I had. :devilish:

I guess it's to put everyone on equal footing. Before the patch hits and after the patch hits. If you farmed engrams and have say 15, and someone else also got 15, but decrypted them and only scored 10 legendaries - vs your 15, that would be sorta unfair just because dude waited for patch.

Technically yes, but it doesn't feel the same. Destiny felt like an MMO, which have their own peculiar flavour. So where on paper they could be described as similar (loot and levelling shooters), Destiny isn't a substitute for Borderlands. I suppose its the same as saying "The Last Starfighter" is the same as "Star Wars". Both involve flying through space shooting aliens, but they aren't really comparable.

Back