Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

After trying the strike team mission on the Moon and getting stomped (level 11), I found out there was one on Earth I missed. That was much better at my level. Does the game adjust for levels, scale you or the mobs?

Bought legendary armor and found legendary boots, which jumped me from lvl23 to lvl25. :D

One of the guys I'm playing with had a blue engram and he got all excited when it gave him legendary item ... until he found out it was for the wrong class. Yes, for some reason engrams will give you legendary items for a random class, not the class you're using. Ha ha ha, he was pissed.

I don't have any legendary items. I've got all blue items except one piece of armor. Only one of the items has the Light stat, so I'm still level 20. I'm guessing the raids will require some pretty crazy stuff.

Competitive review by Levelcap:

Interesting to hear what a better/pro player thinks of PvP. Personally I played about a dozen games over the weekend and I seriously doubt I’ll go back and play more. I found the entire experience frustrating and not fun at all. I’m not sure if MMR is working because I was in several games that were 1 sided to the point of stupidity (worst was a game where the top 3 players on my team had more points that the top player on the other team). I also read that the gear doesn’t translate into PvP but even then it seems like higher level characters had a huge advantage in terms of survivability and damage output. I remember one game where this level 24 guy was just destroying everyone (26-3 was his k/d on the score screen), at one point I came up behind him and got 6 auto-rifle crit shots off, he lived, then turned and 1 shotted me with a hand cannon. Playing PvP in Destiny really felt like random queuing battlegrounds in WoW, sometimes you would come out ahead and other times you’d run against 2 geared players who would stomp your whole team.

I also read that the gear doesn’t translate into PvP
It does to an extent.

Basic level stats like the weapon's "attack" rating don't have an effect in crucible (except in Iron Banner), but all other stuff (like gear and player abilities, and stats like rate of fire and impact and magazine size) does.

Anyone claiming that crucible is perfectly balanced and that higher-leveled players don't have an advantage is, I would argue, wrong.

You earn vanguard marks doing strikes. Light is a stat that appears only on blue items. You need to grind to get more blue items if you want to increase your level using Light. Materials are used to upgrade items. You'll see material requirements for upgrades on blue items. Exotic items require a ton of materials. Some materials can be traded into vendors for money, reputation and maybe marks.
Thanks.

This article echoes my sentiments:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/15/6144523/destiny-review

Great fun factor, marred by poor design choices. Looking forward immensely to Destiny 2.

Yup. Pretty much the most positive of the reviews and player comments that I've read says that Destiny is a great "foundation" that can really become a fantastic game either through DLC or the sequel.

Yes, I said those are the positive reviews from players and "journalists".

I say "ouch" to that.

It's a lovely mess well worth my money, the basic gun play is imho beyond average and some of the best I have experienced on consoles.

The negatives is for example the story, I gave up on that. Maybe I will read a TLDR at some point.

However what I am pretty confident about is the longevity for those players that likes there mmo/rpg fix. So far it seems that they have really made sure there is an end game that can sustain the onslaught of grinders and hardcore non lifers.

I also read that the gear doesn’t translate into PvP but even then it seems like higher level characters had a huge advantage in terms of survivability and damage output.

It's normal in MMOs I've played to have separate PVE and PVP gear sets. In PVP, PVE gear is better than nothing (going naked) but is far from optimal because games often balance and weigh stats of NPCs and players very differently.

It's normal in MMOs I've played to have separate PVE and PVP gear sets. In PVP, PVE gear is better than nothing (going naked) but is far from optimal because games often balance and weigh stats of NPCs and players very differently.

Destiny does have PVP gear, and PVE

Such a shame that I will be missing on what looks to be quite a fun and eventful game. I can live with a bad story but not a bad and badly presented one.

Such a shame that I will be missing on what looks to be quite a fun and eventful game. I can live with a bad story but not a bad and badly presented one.

I wouldn't say it's badly presented, it's just so.. well, they clearly want to build a complete universe , with tons of lore, background stories and several enemies with their own background etc.

And they do that while you are busy shooting things :)

Imho, there is plenty to enjoy in the game, and the very positive side to all this, if you really want to dig deep into the lore and game, you can dig for a long time :)

and they do it weirdly. Theres..
Rasputin, who is a super important AI in earth mission. It only mentioned 3 times then the story forget about it.

Misterious serious-faced woman/robot.
i think she also only shown herself for 3 times. Once early, story forget about it. then once on middle, then the story forget about her again. finally on the ending, she for unknown reason decided to suicide after giving you a weapon.

on one cutscene she was shown that she have other people working together with her. This is only shown ONCE and the story forget about it.

the characters also loooove to talk in "cryptic" message. Why not just simply talk in simple english? heck, we as player have Ghost that can copy-paste data (used all the time in all mission). But the misterious woman just simply say "im too busy, i dont even have time to explain why i dont have time to explain".

why she did not simply copy data to Ghosts and let Ghost tell the story to player on loading-screen as usual?
what did she do all this time?
why she despite very busy, have a lot of time to watch the player?

theres just so many question in everything.
err. even when im alive at 1st mission.

why im completely working after "dead" for how many years?
why im dead on a parking lot?

it feels like im playing Destiny 2 and did not play Destiny 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait to see how big a turd the ending of the story is, because it's going to be hilarious. Still having a lot of fun playing though. Started doing the Mars missions last night, but we turned the difficulty up since we're all level 20-22.

^^ after i get the ending, destiny become much more enjoyable for me when i play with friends just for playing, for shooting things up, not minding the story.

usually i pay attention to ghosts blabbling in everywhere <--- dont do this, not good. Just play, enjoy the game, ignore the story :D

One thing I think Destiny has failed at is merging the fantasy elements into the game. I remember the concept was "what would a fantasy dungeon look like in the future?" or something like that. The thing is, you don't feel like you're exploring locations that have been sitting undisturbed for centuries. You're basically raiding enemy bases. You're not finding some lost tomb and discovering treasure. You're raiding a base to scan their computers. They also talked about how you'd feel connected to your gear, but you don't. I'm sure once you get the legendary and exotic items, you'll stick with them, but for now everything is just replaceable. It also seems like everything is set up so that you'll buy the items you want, rather than discover them during play. Kind of takes the fun out of getting the most powerful items.

It would be the equivalent of this as a fantasy story: A knight needs to defeat a great evil that is returning, so he goes to a well known and well populated enemy stronghold and runs around killing guys for a while, collecting their money, and then returns to his home town to buy a magic sword.

Back