Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

Lol http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bungie-warns-destiny-day-one-reviews-might-not-tel/1100-6422161/

Not a great sign. But it's true to a degree WoW classic took off at level 60 but I did enjoy every single level of WoW leading up to 60 too
I'm not sure it was ever a great idea to try to do a quasi-MMO with a traditional single player game in one ... when people finish the BBEG in 5 hours that kinda hurts the story you can tell for multiplayer part of the game.

They shoulda just made a gear treadmill MMO with the single player as an optional introduction, with the real meat of the story and the big antagonists locked in the MMO part.

About to bite the bullet I guess. Purchased $60 in XB currency.

I guess I'm going to get the 360 version, so I'll get the XBO version free. I will only play normally on X1, so the only benefit will be being able to occasionally fire up the 360 version to say "wow this looks crap". Which I already did in the Alpha. I'll just scream if there's some glitch that prevents my plan though, so maybe I should just get the X1 version to be safe.

Have to say I'm kinda dreading putting in the 6-8 hours just to get back to where I left off in the Alpha. Unforseen consequences of an Alpha.

I guess I should look at GAF, is the newly 1080'd X1 version framerate fine? I assume yes since I haven't seen complaining.

I just saw Gamespot just put up a video of Destiny's "Final Boss Fight"

I mean wow, people chop through this stuff quick. I dont think review copies went out more than a day early.

Edit: some people having streams titled "Last mission!" and stuff on twitch too.

We're trying something new to attempt to keep the console discussions in better shape.

Lets keep the game threads in the Console Games forum about the game.

If you want to compare versions (ie: the technology) try the Console Technology forum. This way it's easier to keep the subjective and agenda-specific comments to a minimum

Numbers don't tell the whole story. For one, you can probably assume that those 30 million Next gen's also had last gen machines. That leaves you with 90m wide market for last gen. But how many of those 90 million have both 360 and PS3? How many don't care about gaming anymore? How many are double purchases or triple purchases? What is the attitude of the 30 million PS4/XO vs the demographics that still have not bought a next machine?

I'll wait for the sales to come in to conclude what I speculate. But consider it improbable that PS3 copies would even hit half the sales of the PS4 copies. The decision to have it on 360/PS3 probably came a really long time ago early in development. When the forecast was a bit cloudy on market adoption for the PS4/XO.

x360/PS3 games hardly make the charts anymore and are dwarfed by the PS4/XO counterparts.

Go check the financial reports for some publishers. Last financial quarter (3 months ending 6/30/14), X360/PS3 still brought in far more revenue for EA than PS4/XBO.

XBO/PS4 - 293 million USD.
X360/PS3 - 543 million USD.

For the financial quarter before that (Jan. - Mar. 2014).

XBO/PS4 - 172 million USD
X360/PS3 - 562 million USD

Over 1 billion USD in revenue for the old consoles so far this year compared to less than half a billion USD for the new consoles.

And that is why. Next gen consoles software sales are catching up, but for most publishers X360/PS3 still dominate.

[EDIT]

Oh and if you were wondering about Activision who publishes Destiny.

Last quarter (3 months ending 6/30/2014)

PS4/XBO/WiiU - 137 million USD
PS3/X360/Wii - 342 million USD
PC - 182 million USD
Online (WoW basically, so PC as well) - 195 million USD

For the 6 months ending 6/30/2014

PS4/XBO/WiiU - 245 million USD
PS3/X360/Wii - 889 million USD
PC - 281 million USD
Online (WoW) - 395 million USD

There's no way they are going to throw away console sales on X360/PS3 yet. Not when 2014, PS3/X360/Wii is likely to bring in 1.5 - 2.0 billion USD in revenue for Activision-Blizzard.

Regards,
SB

I just saw Gamespot just put up a video of Destiny's "Final Boss Fight"

I mean wow, people chop through this stuff quick. I dont think review copies went out more than a day early.

Edit: some people having streams titled "Last mission!" and stuff on twitch too.

In the run up to lat night there were people bragging about being off work the next 2 or 3 days and their goal was to play >10 session, get a little rest and then back on... I really can't relate to that.

There were ppl on Level 70 in D3 within a day of release of ROS edition, so, yeah, there are such people out there. They will chomp through everything in one day somehow. I spent dedicated time on that game and still took quite some time to reach level cap.

I personally want my game to go on atleast for a month but yeah addictive games like Warframe, Diablo and Destiny can make you plow through faster. I remember hitting level 8 int he beta in one session. I just couldn't get up :p !

I have played only one session till now, did two missions, hit level 3. Everything went smooth, some ppl on my friend list joined in smoothly, we had fun, then I left. Everything went smooth, no server issues. I guess the beta prepared them well.
I have to say they have rebalanced the guns. I chose the scout rifle cos it was a beast in the beta, but it seems nerfed and balanced now.

One doubt, the description says it s "semi-automatic rifle", yet I could fire only one shot at a time. How do you turn on the burst mode? I remember shooting 3 round bursts in the Alpha and the BEta.

Obviously depends on when you are planning on getting the next gen console. But if you are planning to within the next two years and there's "nothing left to explore", I'd say that Destiny wouldn't have lived up to its hype and that also you'll be no better off waiting considering that it's main function is as a Co-Op game and nobody else would be playing with you.

Doesn't sound like a winning situation.

I'm getting the white Sunset Overdrive bundle at the end of October but I have a bunch of other games preordered so I won't be getting Destiny until Xmas.

Having a lot of fun with it - more fun than I ever had playing Halo. The story is a turd. I thought Halo was pretty bad, this might be worse. The dialog is pretty much awful. If I was playing games looking for a good story, I would have quit gaming a long time ago. Someone a little more concerned about that may hold the terrible writing against it more than I do. The gameplay is rock solid, and that's my main concern. As far as co-op shooters go, easily worth the price of admission. Even replaying the strike from the beta again was fun, and I played the strike two or three times during the beta weekend. The package should offer good replayability for me, which is rare.

Having a lot of fun with it - more fun than I ever had playing Halo. The story is a turd. I thought Halo was pretty bad, this might be worse. The dialog is pretty much awful. If I was playing games looking for a good story, I would have quit gaming a long time ago. Someone a little more concerned about that may hold the terrible writing against it more than I do. The gameplay is rock solid, and that's my main concern. As far as co-op shooters go, easily worth the price of admission. Even replaying the strike from the beta again was fun, and I played the strike two or three times during the beta weekend. The package should offer good replayability for me, which is rare.

Yup, same feelings here. Just like in Diablo 3 and Warframe, one doesn't give a damn about the story here. Although it does seem to have more meat than both D3 and Warframe as far as story goes. But I don't see myself caring for it, unless the game does something dramatic ! Its the kindof game where your chracter versus the enemy is everything ! Nothing else matters. Better gear, better weapons and tougher enemies : thats what I need !

and replaying the missions doesn;t feel wrong at all here. In fact I played all missions multiple times even during the beta and now repeating those missions isn't dampening the fun at all !

aaaarrrrrrggghhhh My copy of Destiny is lost in the mail somewhere. The buggers are on strike so who knows when I will get it. I'm terribly vexed at the moment.

That's why I buy my games in a physical store. No sudden unexpected fsckups with delivery, and you help support the local economy and the middle class at the same time. :)

I'm a cheapo so I always buy online because I know where to get good deals. Paid $17 less than retail, so I don't mind waiting 2 days for delivery. My copy should be here Thursday (but I probably won't have much time to play).

aaaarrrrrrggghhhh My copy of Destiny is lost in the mail somewhere. The buggers are on strike so who knows when I will get it. I'm terribly vexed at the moment.

ugh i got similar problem.
- now i wont get PS4 white destiny
- now i have TLOUR sitting cant be played (they wrongly delivered half of ordered game first, then next day they send the PS4 and destiny)
- and now im still waiting for PS4 black + destiny to arrive. Asked the courier agency and they say "it is on the way, should arrive today". but its evening now... and i still have not get it.

my schedules ruined :(

@grall
you are lucky to have physical store in meat-space

@RenegadeRocks and @scott_arm
is it as bad as titanfall story presentation?

Lupa, are you back in Indonesia already?

Xbat and Skribbles - $15 and $17 you saved are money denied the local economy, draining it in favor of venture capitalists and the 1%. Thus, money you saved will ultimately be money you lost, when ordinary workers' wages stop rising while the wealth of the rich and powerful continues to explode.

...Okay, didn't mean to make this into a political rant now, lol. So...whatever. Do what you want. :D

I guess I should look at GAF, is the newly 1080'd X1 version framerate fine? I assume yes since I haven't seen complaining.

Overall the frame rate is fairly consistent on x1. I would be lying if I said it never dipped, I'm sure I've caught a moment of dipping at least once. But overall very playable.

@RenegadeRocks and @scott_arm
is it as bad as titanfall story presentation?

Ha ha ha, nothing is as bad as the Titanfall story presentation. Destiny has cutscenes, and narration like you'd see in a single-player game. I just think the story, the dialog and the voice acting are all junk.

No man, story isn't bad at all ! Better than Diablo 3 and the likes ...has good cutscenes, they feel epic , and all. Just that I don't care. I am having too much fun to notice :D !
But don't worry it feels epic in the Bungie way. Just that its not that kind of game where u get Uncharted like stories. You need a main character for that.

Back