Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

Looking at the graphics, it's still nothing special at all, I can see the prints of old-gen all over it. Don't see why some people still think XO can't run it at 1080p.

I played few hours after unlock this morning, and surprisingly, everything worked fine. Just one minor problem with network stability.

Looking at the graphics, it's still nothing special at all, I can see the prints of old-gen all over it. Don't see why some people still think XO can't run it at 1080p.

Never doubted XO can run it at 1080p. What I don't understand is why is the game 30fps? That I doubt XO can do 60fps and 1080p. But I think some more time spent on the next gen consoles and less or no time spent on the last gen ones, we might of gotten a 60fps 1080p Destiny that looks just as good as it does now. I'm not really impressed why they felt the need to have a 360/PS3 version of the game. Highly doubt sales on those consoles will be of any real significance.

There are about 120+ million ps360 consoles out there. There are about 30 million next-gen consoles out there. Not too difficult to see why there is a ps360 version.

There are about 120+ million ps360 consoles out there. There are about 30 million next-gen consoles out there. Not too difficult to see why there is a ps360 version.

Numbers don't tell the whole story. For one, you can probably assume that those 30 million Next gen's also had last gen machines. That leaves you with 90m wide market for last gen. But how many of those 90 million have both 360 and PS3? How many don't care about gaming anymore? How many are double purchases or triple purchases? What is the attitude of the 30 million PS4/XO vs the demographics that still have not bought a next machine?

I'll wait for the sales to come in to conclude what I speculate. But consider it improbable that PS3 copies would even hit half the sales of the PS4 copies. The decision to have it on 360/PS3 probably came a really long time ago early in development. When the forecast was a bit cloudy on market adoption for the PS4/XO.

x360/PS3 games hardly make the charts anymore and are dwarfed by the PS4/XO counterparts.

Numbers don't tell the whole story. For one, you can probably assume that those 30 million Next gen's also had last gen machines. That leaves you with 90m wide market for last gen. But how many of those 90 million have both 360 and PS3? How many don't care about gaming anymore? How many are double purchases or triple purchases? What is the attitude of the 30 million PS4/XO vs the demographics that still have not bought a next machine?

I'll wait for the sales to come in to conclude what I speculate. But consider it improbable that PS3 copies would even hit half the sales of the PS4 copies. The decision to have it on 360/PS3 probably came a really long time ago early in development. When the forecast was a bit cloudy on market adoption for the PS4/XO.

x360/PS3 games hardly make the charts anymore and are dwarfed by the PS4/XO counterparts.

Don't chart anymore? Half of the top selling sku for 2014 on amazon are ps3/360 titles.

Core and hardcore may have gone next gen but mainstream still on old gen. And they tend show up for the holiday and big mainstream games.

Last edited by a moderator:

90 million, maybe 10 million of which own both consoles. Bungie has an upgrade program where you can buy ps360 and get a free upgrade to PS4 or Xbox One. So there's no reason to hold off until you have a next-gen console, which would probably be the biggest reason for a person who's planning to get next-gen holding off. Sales on last-gen consoles should be very good. Even if it's only a couple million in sales, that's a lot of money.

In my case this new upgrade deal isn't very attractive...because it means I'll be playing the "lessor" version and by the time I actually get a next gen console to play the free upgraded version there will be nothing left to explore so what's the point?

The only way this deal would be attractive is if I don't play the lessor version and wait for the next gen version when I get my next gen console which doesn't make any sense either.

Why not just wait until I get a next gen console since by that time the game would have come down in price?:p

I have to say, Remote Play REALLY works great on Vita. They created a custom control scheme for it, and I find it very usable [because of the small Vita sticks, I must lower look sensitivity down].

I will definitely hunt for a good Vita grip. I used friend's for a week, and it really made Vita much more easiler to hold, especially for games that are focused on sticks.

There are about 120+ million ps360 consoles out there. There are about 30 million next-gen consoles out there.

There are the 30 million next-gen consoles? Sony recently announced 10m, Microsoft haven't said anything for ages and Nintendo reported a little over 6 million in June. And Destiny isn't out on Wii U.

:???:

Wow...everything feels so epic in this game !!!
And the music during firefights makes such a big difference..this was missing in the beta ! And the best part is that the game has been made tougher than the beta, so everything feels great ! And yes, the way the game simply puts ppl in my game feels good.
I have started with a Warlock, but I might switch to a Titan as I fell in love with Titans during the beta .
Loving it :p ! A lot of textures look higher res than the beta, game looks crisp, but I think the shadow shimmering wasn't there during the beta but is very noticeable in outdoor areas.

There are the 30 million next-gen consoles? Sony recently announced 10m, Microsoft haven't said anything for ages and Nintendo reported a little over 6 million in June. And Destiny isn't out on Wii U.

:???:

Whatever. So my point is even stronger that the balance of hardware is in favour of last-gen.

In my case this new upgrade deal isn't very attractive...because it means I'll be playing the "lessor" version and by the time I actually get a next gen console to play the free upgraded version there will be nothing left to explore so what's the point?

The only way this deal would be attractive is if I don't play the lessor version and wait for the next gen version when I get my next gen console which doesn't make any sense either.

Why not just wait until I get a next gen console since by that time the game would have come down in price?:p

Sure. I'd probably be the same.

I am going out with my wife tonight. Looks like Destiny will have to wait til tomorrow.
You might as well. Game's not playable right now, got booted back out twice in the span of less than fifteen minutes. Once to character selection screen, with seemingly all progress lost up until then - not sure about gold or loot; second time "only" back out to orbit after I'd proceeded a bit further and was fighting a boss type enemy. I was doing well up until I got kicked out.

Error code "lion", whatever the shit that stands for. Bungie just calls it a "general networking error", which isn't very helpful. Obviously their netcode is way too sensitive to glitches, whatever they may be, and barfs at the slightest provocation. Neither time I was disconnected did I receive even the minutest indication I was about to get ejected out of the game, nothing whatsoever. Just...BAM. Insta-eject.

Ok, I managed to finish the mission. Turned level three, got a new hat as reward. I shot the wizard like, twice, and then I won somehow... I didn't kill him, like my ghost said I had to, he simply disappeared it seems like. There were no other players around either, I was the only guy blasting at him. Maybe you can't group up in the "misty" areas? I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that's how it worked in the beta... *shrug*

Obviously depends on when you are planning on getting the next gen console. But if you are planning to within the next two years and there's "nothing left to explore", I'd say that Destiny wouldn't have lived up to its hype and that also you'll be no better off waiting considering that it's main function is as a Co-Op game and nobody else would be playing with you.

Doesn't sound like a winning situation.

Ok, I managed to finish the mission. Turned level three, got a new hat as reward. I shot the wizard like, twice, and then I won somehow... I didn't kill him, like my ghost said I had to, he simply disappeared it seems like. There were no other players around either, I was the only guy blasting at him. Maybe you can't group up in the "misty" areas? I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that's how it worked in the beta... *shrug*

The misty areas are instanced. So no players who aren't already in your fireteam. There are a couple of respawning Fallen back there that can kill the wizard. Only if you keep basically all the other Hive dead though, and then it takes forever.

I have to say I'm loving it so far. I've been playing basically non-stop since release and just finished the moon. I tried PVP a bit too. There are a TON more maps for PVP. That was actually a bit of a surprise for me. Strikes are much harder. The hard mode missions are also much harder. Level really matters for these.

Just on content so far, I would say if you do the easy missions and just go straight through without stopping to smell the roses, you get about 4 hours of gameplay per planet so far. If that holds up for Venus and Mars, that would be about 16 hours. However, I have been playing now about 13 and still haven't started Venus. So far it feels like there is plenty to do.

Back