Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

Just a random note on something we discussed a bit earlier. I had another gun that had the attack upgrade feature on it drop last night. So I did some testing.

On the level 2 mobs in the first zone on the explore:
Attack 57 headshot - 212
Attack 62 headshot - 212

On the level 8 knights near where the entrance to the strike is:
Attack 57 headshot - 235
Attack 62 headshot - 247

So the damage does increase on level 8 mobs. It is a 5% upgrade on level 8 mobs. I realized after that I could have gone through and tested damage on every mob from level 1 to level 8 and probably worked out the exact scaling. That will have to wait for another gun I'm afraid.

There are a couple of reasons I can come up with to explain these numbers. The first is the theory that I posted earlier. Attack doesn't actually affect damage, only the scaling of damage vs. the level of the creature in question. The weapon gets full damage up to a point, then gets scaled down depending on the difference between attack level and monster level.

The second is that damage is capped by impact score based on mob level. I realized last night that would also explain the lack of increase on low level mobs. I don't believe this is the case, but thought I would include it at least for completeness. I think the other theory is more likely.

Just a little note I just figured out because I'm stupid and decided to share in case anybody else is as dumb as I am.

So there are weapon drops in this game, but they appear as little lego blocks, not actual weapons. You pick them up automatically, so if you are in the middle of a fight you might pick up a little block and get a new weapon and not even realize it.

I found this out going back and playing as my level 3 warlock and doing that mission and killed a captain after killing all the other little grunts (so I had time to look around) and when I grabbed the little lego block thing that could have been a dead ghost or God knows what, it came up that it was a sniper rifle! Yeah! When I went to change from my shotgun to the sniper, I found that I had other weapons as well. Somehow I had gained two assault rifles that I hadn't had before because I dismantled my initial assault rifle after I bought the single-shot rifle after the first mission.

You're also supposed to turn in the emblems that you get to the cyprotographer and they "decode them" and turn them into better armor. Of course, the game says this when you select the emblem, but if you don't take the time to do it, you just get an emblem in your inventory with no purpose.

Again, I know... I'm stupid. But I hadn't really seen that anywhere so I figured I'd share!

So the heavy does the same? and the secondary is working as intended?
hm... don't know about the heavy.

Hard to say if it's really intended, but the primary ammo doesn't reset if you switch the primary. It really hampers gameplay if the reset is by design. It's gimped enough already accessing the inventory with no pause in gameplay (understandably). It just makes it pointless to carry around items if they're just going to say, "ha ha reset to zero, can't use it when you need it". They might as well just have you select a weapon loadout before leaving the citadel. :|

:/

Just a little note I just figured out because I'm stupid and decided to share in case anybody else is as dumb as I am.

So there are weapon drops in this game, but they appear as little lego blocks, not actual weapons. You pick them up automatically, so if you are in the middle of a fight you might pick up a little block and get a new weapon and not even realize it.

I found this out going back and playing as my level 3 warlock and doing that mission and killed a captain after killing all the other little grunts (so I had time to look around) and when I grabbed the little lego block thing that could have been a dead ghost or God knows what, it came up that it was a sniper rifle! Yeah! When I went to change from my shotgun to the sniper, I found that I had other weapons as well. Somehow I had gained two assault rifles that I hadn't had before because I dismantled my initial assault rifle after I bought the single-shot rifle after the first mission.

Interesting enough, engram is a term in neuropsychology, but also in Scientology. Maybe this game was funded by Tom Cruise, and it's all an elaborate ploy to turn us into Scientologists.

You're also supposed to turn in the emblems that you get to the cyprotographer and they "decode them" and turn them into better armor. Of course, the game says this when you select the emblem, but if you don't take the time to do it, you just get an emblem in your inventory with no purpose.

Again, I know... I'm stupid. But I hadn't really seen that anywhere so I figured I'd share!

Emblems are the symbol that show up beside your name. You probably got extra weapons just by completing a mission. At the end of each mission you see the random gear you're awarded for completing it. The thing you picked up is like a blueprint. It's called an engram. You take them to the crpytologist(?) and he turns them into weapons or armour. You'll never get a weapon drop that you can use immediately, at least not as far as I know. The award you get from an engram is based on your level, so if you save them as you level up you'll get higher level items. For example, you could pick it up as a level one, but save it to level 8 and you'll get a level 8 item.

Emblems are the symbol that show up beside your name. You probably got extra weapons just by completing a mission. At the end of each mission you see the random gear you're awarded for completing it. The thing you picked up is like a blueprint. It's called an engram. You take them to the crpytologist(?) and he turns them into weapons or armour. You'll never get a weapon drop that you can use immediately, at least not as far as I know. The award you get from an engram is based on your level, so if you save them as you level up you'll get higher level items. For example, you could pick it up as a level one, but save it to level 8 and you'll get a level 8 item.

Ahh yes, emblems vs engrams. And I did just turn in an engram and got a weapon instead of armor, so I guess they do both once you turn them in.

However, I'm 100% positive I got a sniper rifle from a lego drop from killing a Captain. I know for sure because I was struggling with my Warlock character having only a shotgun as a special as opposed to my Hunter that got a sniper rifle after the first (and only I've found so far) loot chest.

But, as I said, I was able to wait to hover over and read what the little lego block said and it said "Sniper rifle" and I picked it up. As I was in my weapons screen trying to equip it, the enemies all respawned and started shooting at me while I was in the equipment screen and after I exited and killed them all (so I wouldn't die fooling around with my gear), the Captain dropped another lego block that was the same sniper rifle so then I had two of them.

I would say you absolutely get weapon drops during the game that you can equip and use beyond turning in engrams to the cryptologist or as bonuses for mission completion.

I don't know if there are armor drops or anything else, but there's certainly ammo drops, special ammo drops and weapon drops.

Hmmm, only time I've gotten a weapon I can use without having the cryptographer, or whatever, decode it was by buying it or getting it as an award at the end of a mission. Could be that I just never got lucky.

I'm having such a blast with this game.

/Scott_Arm
I get tons of weapons in regular gameplay. Each day I take 3 Vangard Bounties, and just go into Free Roam mode until all of them are finished. Usually at the end of the session I get at least 5 weapons and 5 armor pieces.

This is the same thing that's in the Phantasy Star Online games.

Played a bit more, thanks to the art direction and lavish set pieces i am hooked on getting more of the history. I guess SciFi nerds are bound to like stuff like this, it´s a beautiful game.

I like the quality of the old russian stuff, it´s been offline for many many years, still works when you switch it on, clearly cloud services were not that big in the future, the technology worked on it´s own :)

The few missions i have been on was just like described above, you make your way to the objective and end up fighting hard to survive, and then you have 30 seconds and you are transferred away, weird that we aren't allowed to stay on the map after a mission that would feel more natural.

I had a quick PVP run as well, seems good, coming from Titanfall it felt a bit slow and ordinary to be honest, needs more testing but so far it´s ok. I prefer slow on consoles, since the controller really makes me feel limited.

One thing i am wondering.. how would this game had been if it wasn´t limited by the old gen..
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-destiny-xbox-360-beta

From what i have read there really ain't no gameplay differences, the game is essentially the same on the different platforms, next gen simply provide a gorgeous looking game with gameplay that isn´t enhanced in anyway on the new consoles.

Is the beta on PS4 still ongoing? I get broadband is my new flat installed today. Could be tempted to give it a go.

Crossed with Halo, Star Wars, and Mass Effect :D

Pretty sure I like it a lot. Yeah, it's basically a RPG grind, but it's been many years since I've really done that. For now looks like 9/9 is a purchase. Tons and tons of content too. Only bummer will be having to replay the handful of hours I already progressed in the Beta.

Yes, should be up through the weekend. They've got a stress test planned for Saturday, 2PM PST and there is currently a mission on the moon that has been locked they are making available soon.

Old Russia looks an awful lot like Halo Reach so far.

The gun play is pretty much Halo.

I'm not really getting the Borderlands vibe though. Sure it's a similar premise, but Destiny feels quite different.

Anyway, I like what I've played so far. My only concern is that it seems like the game could get repetitive. I hope they can add interesting new content/missions/etc; otherwise, I don't see this game having legs.

Is the beta on PS4 still ongoing? I get broadband is my new flat installed today. Could be tempted to give it a go.

Yes, 2 more days. Tonight in 23h CET starts the special 2hr event when Moon mission will be unlocked. You can easily grind put to the max beta level in few hours.

I'm not really getting the Borderlands vibe though. Sure it's a similar premise, but Destiny feels quite different.
Only in loot and levelling. Borderlands was the first to RPGify shooters. Kill critters to get loot including weapons and level up + gain skills. The gameplay's quite different.

With less humor or fun and with more annoying UI interactions.
I can't say I was enamoured with what I played last night. I didn't realise it was so MMO-y, with other players in your game instance. I also feel the game is very 'Apple'. By that, I refer to my recent experience of Apple, now owning a Mac and iPad. Apple think it's cool and trendy to name things with obscure references, so where I clicked 'Time Machine' expecting a game, I found it was 'backup'. 'Backup' is too prosaic for Apple... Destiny has a lot of similar renaming of things that, in my very personal opinion, is mixing things up for no great reason. A change is possibly nice, but they've clearly just renamed a whole load of RPG memes. I bought a Special Weapon expecting another shotgun and it turned out to be a sniper rifle; the airy fairy descriptions gave no real info (at least that explained why the range was so long!). Decoding Glyphs is taking blueprints to blacksmiths in every other game.

I know there'll be vociferous defenders of the lore of Destiny and how it needs to be dressed up accordingly, but it just feels a little...like a redressing the same old game ideas. Run around and shoot with a Guild Wars/MMO hub - job done. Everything was from existing games. Speeder-bikes? Look and sound like every speeder bike in a sci-fi game ever.

Without playing more than a couple of hours, I felt the game was pretty old and tired.
[/jaded]

That's mega-jaded!

I love it so far, extremely fun for me. Been playing it well past since getting level 8, just look for awesome loot. Got several level 9 items and a couple of level 10 items. Also bought a 90 speed speeder bike, and then got a drop for a similar one as well that looks nicer.

The MP is really fun too. I just need to learn the maps. I end up with a pair of 5 kill streaks and more kills in each game, and yet my KD ratio still sucks because the rest of the time I've no idea where I am lol.

Turned into a day 1 title for me. It seems they knew if they gave me beta access... I would decide to buy it. Lol.

Fantastic game. Bungie knows exactly how to design shooters that are fun. Can't wait to see more vehicles too.

Back