Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

There wasn't a key, the beta client was just added to your library automatically if you pre-ordered a digital copy on PSN.

Player One podcast said they got two keys for PSN preorder. I think my colleague from whom I got the key as well. Probably only for a limited time.

Player One podcast said they got two keys for PSN preorder. I think my colleague from whom I got the key as well. Probably only for a limited time.

To clarify: you do get 2 keys, but the 2 keys they send you are to give away. You aren't given a code for yourself, since it's unnecessary. That's why you get only 2 for the PSN pre-order instead of the 3 you get for a physical pre-order.

Just pre order from a EU account and cancel the preorder. Your beta will start downloading. EU accounts charge money on launch date, not immediately.
Hey... Great tip. Tried it, and yeah. It's downloaded, and now after starting it I'm #84041 in line to download the REST of the game. Effing LOL! :LOL:

Oh well, it's in maintenance anyway as you say, to let in the Xbone plebians no doubt.

Thanks for all the offers, but I'm on the MS platforms, for now. :/ Its prob not that much of an issue since its not even a week long beta for those platforms.

What? So PS4 gets 8 days (XBOX only 4 AFAIK) and 2 are scuttled just like that? Kinda lame.

Nothing changes for XB1/X360 owners, it was always 4 days. It was thought that PS3/PS4 owners would get 10 days, but I guess it's cut 2 days short due to maintenance (so 8 days).

If I had known that, I would've played more yesterday. Boo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing changes for XB1/X360 owners, it was always 4 days. It was thought that PS3/PS4 owners would get 10 days, but I guess it's cut 2 days short due to maintenance (so 8 days).

If I had known that, I would've played more yesterday. Boo!

Yes, plans for beta were always the same. PS owners get it earler, and for more days.

I'd like to try out the game via beta, but I just can't order any more physical games. I've converted over to pure digital library now. I just feel bad abusing the system by preordering and then cancelling it after the limited beta period is done.

Got mine on CheapAssGamer forums. Don't believe in taking advantage of the system either when there are plenty of people freely giving them away.

I am but I work 2nd shift so I won't be online until Friday...:mad:

I'll probably be online Wednesday night after work. US Central Time Zone. Look me up Friday night.

Wished I had a spare code to give away, but already promised my son & best friend they could have the other 2 codes & join my Fireteam.

Tommy McClain

What? So PS4 gets 8 days (XBOX only 4 AFAIK) and 2 are scuttled just like that? Kinda lame.

bnet.jpg

It was planned like this from the very beginning.

Any surprise was probably due to lack of research

It's a ludicrously short "beta test", though. It's more a PR stunt/hype campaign than anything else...

They're stress-testing the loads from what I heard. So having a long beta-test wouldn't help them in that regard.

It would actually be counter-productive. You want as many people playing within as short a window as possible to maximize server load. Note the special "exclusive emblem" being offered if you play on the 26th.

It would actually be counter-productive. You want as many people playing within as short a window as possible to maximize server load. Note the special "exclusive emblem" being offered if you play on the 26th.

Yes, final stress test will be on 26th. They are calling everyone to be online at very specific time.

Is it an open-world game? If not, are the maps big enough that you can explore a bit, or is it pretty much fairly linear levels?

It's open-world and there are usually others that are playing with you. You can choose to play solo or cooperatively. It's hard to explain. Even after Bungie released a video trying to explain the game, a lot of people (myself included) didn't fully understand it. But I fell in love with it after playing it.

AFAIK, the maps in the alpha/beta are restricted, and even then they're fairly large. Plenty of exploration in Destiny. I spent a lot of time just looking for loot chests and dropped weapons/armor from enemies.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's open-world and there are usually others that are playing with you. You can choose to play solo or cooperatively. It's hard to explain. Even after Bungie released a video trying to explain the game, a lot of people (myself included) didn't fully understand it. But I fell in love with it after playing it.

AFAIK, the maps in the alpha/beta are restricted, and even then they're fairly large. Plenty of exploration in Destiny. I spent a lot of time just looking for loot chests and dropped weapons/armor from enemies.

Are the map areas bigger than in Borderlands?

Are the map areas bigger than in Borderlands?

I wouldn't call it open world. More like, a series of huge maps, with many encounters and cool set pieces spread throughout each one.

You can travel freely within any map, but need to go back to your ship to jump between maps.

Compared to Borderlands, which was truly open world, the areas are much smaller, but they're also a lot more dense and interesting with a ton of varied encounters happening in the same area.

Back