Unreal Engine 4

Well, so much for me blabbing about subscriptions not being a major revenue stream: Crytek is giving their engine away for $10 per dev and no royalties at all. Madness...

Although, if this is $20 per machine, a 50 person dev will be paying an $1.000,00 monthly fee. That escalated quickly...

If you have enough money to pay these 50 devs then 1000$ pm is minuscule. If they all are working independently they can pay 20$ from their own pocket, not a big deal again.

Techreport says that DX12 will add conservative rasterization as a new hardware feature. This can allow building a voxel-octree faster than using current method of geometry shaders. Anyone remembers SVOGI by UE4 in the Elemental demo? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, I thought you would see a lot of games started then abandoned after 1 month, restarted 2 years later, and completed in 1 month :D

Talk about "code rush" :LOL:

Well, so much for me blabbing about subscriptions not being a major revenue stream: Crytek is giving their engine away for $10 per dev and no royalties at all. Madness...

Ok, that's just bananas. Someone is betting his neck really deep on this.

Didn't see a post of this http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ing_CryEngine_into_a_subscription_service.php

It's just a matter of finding a model that captures some of those App Store Indy millions, really ;)

Get 1 million to buy at $1, or 20.000 at $50, and ideally, both. They're all just following the market, really.

The problem is that the mocap performers were not wearing any armor, that's why the movement looks strange.

Last demo from Epic.
Not the best quality though pretty neat.

I really wish they'd stop demonstrating cut-scene style video's. Yeah we all know it was rendered in real time but it's hard to be amazed because it looks so much like pre-rendered CGI.

If they demonstrated the same graphics in a true game play situation (3D fighter for example) with two guys on stage with controllers fighting each other then people would be stunned by this. Even though it wouldn't look quite as good due to the lack of cinematic direction it would be vastly more impressive.

I wonder if Samaritan and Infiltrator are both part of the same IP?
Unreal Tournament 2015 - Close Quartes? ;)
I really wish they'd stop demonstrating cut-scene style video's. Yeah we all know it was rendered in real time but it's hard to be amazed because it looks so much like pre-rendered CGI.

If they demonstrated the same graphics in a true game play situation (3D fighter for example) with two guys on stage with controllers fighting each other then people would be stunned by this. Even though it wouldn't look quite as good due to the lack of cinematic direction it would be vastly more impressive.
I agree, but - in a free interpretation of what someone put in their signature - cinematic is the new surrogate gameplay.

Additionally, everything - including the samaritan demo - was set in a pretty close space (at least where the action took place). While I do not doubt the possibility to just give four walls, ceiling and floor realistic physical properties in a single room, this would be vastly more complex throughout a complete game world.

Wow, that looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it in some PC games eventually.

Does anyone know how many bytes per pixel Unreal 4 requires? This will have a huge impact on the future of the Xbox One. A majority of games released in the next 6 - 10 years will use this engine, and if it requires more than 16 bytes per pixel, the One will most likely not reach 1080P for most games.

Back