Ubisoft: A 50 million Euro game takes 2.5 million sales to break even

My point was more that publisher mismanagement adversely affects game quality, and game developers too, hence pubs needing to spend more on useless stuff like voicework and marketing stunts to sell the game. And yet the same complain about spiralling dev costs when if they allowed more of the dev budget to actually go to the game developer, i.e. allowing more time for concepting, pre-production, essential iteration and last minute polishing, then they would have to spend less on marketing because the quality of the games themselves would be enough to sell the games (no better marketing tool than rave reviews and a 95+ metacritic score).

Isn't the real problem the consumer's insatiable demand for high end graphics? This forces massive budgets and teams, which forces all these dismal conditions and general lack of creativity.

Sure some studios may do more creative projects than others, but no matter what, they are going to be locked into decisions pretty early on that last for months/years. So there's no real ability to pivot mid-development or quickly evolve something, like you would with a small more tight-knit team.

Luckily, we have the advent of Steam, iOS, Android, XBLA etc, where small person teams can still produce high quality titles, and retain the ability to innovate and have fun.

I think the general direction of gaming is net positive if you want more creativity. Creativity is making comeback, and the $60 game can't last much longer in the face of $3 mobile titles. So budgets and teams sizes must shrink.

If you want AAA bleeding eyeballs graphics, with the most creative gameplay in the world, it's probably not gonna happen, but hopefully the hardcore niche will still be big enough to be served.

The ME series is a very bad example for your argument.

Yes, both examples are poor. Ubisoft is a fairly creative publisher as well, Assassins Creed 1 was an amazing addition to gaming IMO, and just recently Rayman Origins is somewhat of a masterpiece.

But you dont have to look far across the activisions and ea's of the world to see many good examples of this epidemic.

Well, one could argue that there should have been no AC2 Brotherhood and AC2 Revelations and Ubisoft should have released AC3 last year instead...

But in the end I think it was the better choice - the quickly iterated partial sequels were still enjoyable and brought in a lot of money as well, whereas AC3 is now looking to be different enough to boost interest in the franchise as well as sales.

Also, Rockstar is taking time with GTAV, working on huge graphical and gameplay developments - but then again the two expansions for GTAIV were quite expensive and added little in terms of features or graphics, so they aren't perfect either.

I think about an example like the newest Syndicate game, where the dev studio was frustrated so much by the publisher to the point where all the good studio staff left and the game ended up being a bit of a shambles. Yet the publsher still decided to pump stupid money into getting big name hollywood actors/actresses to do the voice work. And spend a crook tonne on marketing the game they knew beforehand wasn't actually very good.
They have to spend the money on marketing because otherwise no one will buy their crappy game. They have to get as many copies as possible sold before word of mouth spreads. That's why they're so concerned with first-week sales. Hollywood does the same thing.

As you said, though.. if they dumped that money into design and development, they wouldn't have to spend it on marketing, because the word of mouth that they're so afraid of would actually help sell the game for them.

Speaking of business, have you guys seen how Arma II jumped back to the number one sales spot on Steam over the DayZ mod for it? It's pretty mental that a mod has the capacity to drive sales as such, especially two years into the life of the product. I think it's a nice piece of proof that mods on PC have the capability to drive sales if you give players the tools and a good engine/feature set to begin with, along with a foundation of good gameplay to inspire interesting mods and custom games.

Arma II is of course one of those products that has no real equivalent or competitor anymore (don't you dare say Operation Flashpoint), so it can effectively leverage an entire audience, all the while Bohemia can of course use the same engine, assets, etc for their actual for-military simulations which cost thousands of dollars for the military training market. I'm sure Bohemia is happy to see their willingness to keep the engine and game open result in a real success story for themselves as well as gamers and modders. A win for PC gaming!

Last edited by a moderator:
They have to spend the money on marketing because otherwise no one will buy their crappy game. They have to get as many copies as possible sold before word of mouth spreads. That's why they're so concerned with first-week sales. Hollywood does the same thing.

As you said, though.. if they dumped that money into design and development, they wouldn't have to spend it on marketing, because the word of mouth that they're so afraid of would actually help sell the game for them.

This is my point!

A game like Skyrim doesn't have COD-level marketing budgets. Word of mouth and the fact that the game is vastly different than the droves of sh!tty COD-clone shooters and COD-ified non-shooter games the industry keeps sh!tting out, mean that the game sold gangbusters (10+ million shipped). It's not even a game with the best graphics in the world, so you cannot even agrue that the graphics in anyway sold the game.

It was a game with totally fresh design, released at a time when shooter fatigue is rife across the consumer and industry. Gamers want well designed games with ample content and deep gameplay mechanics (and to a lesser extent great characters and story). Skyrim provided this, thus sold better than the majority of games released this generation.

Skyrim proves that if the focus is on letting the developers craft something special, the game will pretty much sell itself.

Isn't the real problem the consumer's insatiable demand for high end graphics? This forces massive budgets and teams, which forces all these dismal conditions and general lack of creativity.

Sure some studios may do more creative projects than others, but no matter what, they are going to be locked into decisions pretty early on that last for months/years. So there's no real ability to pivot mid-development or quickly evolve something, like you would with a small more tight-knit team...

I think this is a really poor poor excuse. There isn't at all an insatiable desire from consumers for the highest end graphics in every $60 console game. It's a myth! Games like Skyrim, Minecraft and even the success of smaller games on digital platforms like you mentioned proves that.

Gamers merely want enough value for their $60, as well as a game that is compelling, exciting and doesn't feel like a cheap rip-off of something they have recently played before.

You don't have to be super creative. Borderlands wasn't super creative, rather it was a game that mixed together well known mechanics and melded them into a compelling and solid product, with lots of content and replay value. Thus the game sold very very well for a new IP (6+ million IIRC).

Publishers merely need to start putting more creative control into the hands of the developers, not allowing pressure from marketing departments and clueless execs to interefere with game design. They need to allow developers enough time to develop their initial ideas for games in the first instance, so that once they have that strong foundation they can craft it and evolve it into their final product, ensuring to polsih it off at the end.

I agree that not all devs are good enough or experienced enough to do this, plus some are very creative yet need that little help and assistance from smart and experienced management (e.g. Team ICO). However the focus both financially and managerially must always lie with the actual game's developement. Otherwise, you'll just end up having to spend rediculous marketing dollars, and engage in questionable PR tactics just to ensure solid initial sales of a game you have no confidence in, when if you let the developer work to create a game you could be proud of, the passionate critics and fans will do all the marketing for you.

FWIW I've never heard of a game Marketing budget increasing after it was determined to not be very good, in fact the reverse is almost always true.
Marketing budgets are generally larger for those titles with perceived better sales potential, sometimes that's because of a license, sometimes just because some exec is convinced the game is great and extolling it's virtues.

And you should see how sales people deal with bad games, sales people won't sell what they perceive to be bad games to clients because their ability to do their job is based entirely on the relationship with the client.

Your view of dev strangled by evil publisher is extremely naive.
Bad games get made for many reasons, what should happen is more of them should get killed early, but like many investments, it's hard to make the decision. It's great to talk about giving devs more time, but I've seen that destroy games as well.

To ship a great selling, high quality title requires a team with vision, a publisher who believes in the product (yes this really matters if you want to sell any), team management with great focus, sufficient time and enough pressure to force you to execute.

FWIW I really like what Sony does with it's first parties, it pretty much leaves them alone, they have a successful blueprint, and Sony just makes them accountable. EA on the other hand has never quite figured this out, and I think it's because many of the upper echelon came up through development when it was very different than today.

This is my point!

A game like Skyrim doesn't have COD-level marketing budgets. Word of mouth and the fact that the game is vastly different than the droves of sh!tty COD-clone shooters and COD-ified non-shooter games the industry keeps sh!tting out, mean that the game sold gangbusters (10+ million shipped). It's not even a game with the best graphics in the world, so you cannot even agrue that the graphics in anyway sold the game.

It was a game with totally fresh design, released at a time when shooter fatigue is rife across the consumer and industry. Gamers want well designed games with ample content and deep gameplay mechanics (and to a lesser extent great characters and story). Skyrim provided this, thus sold better than the majority of games released this generation.

Skyrim proves that if the focus is on letting the developers craft something special, the game will pretty much sell itself.

Is Skyrim basically the same game as Oblivion and Morrowind? What is fresh about it?

Not really. For one, the first three Uncharted games are made by the same team and not "farmed out" to other subsidiaries the way Ubisoft did with ACB and ACR. That's why the increase in interest in AC3, because it's actually made by the team that made AC and AC2, not the team that the last two sequels were farmed out to. The last two AC games were made by a completely different team with orders to "spit out another AC game". They weren't the game's original creators and had no vested interest in the franchise. And I'm talking about the programmers and content creators, not management.
Not true. Work on U2 started before work on U1 completed. Same for U3. There had to be more than one team handling the parallel development. It's also not true that ACB and ACR shared no team members with AC1/2/3. For one, there was a creative oversight from the same person. There's also a coherent (kinda) storyline which indicates there was a cooperation between teams. ND is not a magical place full of unicorns. They do the same stuff pretty much every other studio does.

Is Skyrim basically the same game as Oblivion and Morrowind? What is fresh about it?

I didn't mean fresh as in "new", but just fresh as in something gamers hadn't had for a long enough time. Oblivion was released shortly after the launch of this generation. 6-7 years later we got Skyrim, so the time in between was long enough for gamers to feel bored of the constant stream of shooters saturating AAA game releases, and for a game like Skyrim to feel like a nice refreshing change.

FWIW I've never heard of a game Marketing budget increasing after it was determined to not be very good, in fact the reverse is almost always true.
Marketing budgets are generally larger for those titles with perceived better sales potential, sometimes that's because of a license, sometimes just because some exec is convinced the game is great and extolling it's virtues.

This wasn't really what I was meaning. Rather I've seen a good number of good to terrible games plastered across every news outlet, with game reviews embargoed until after launch, and internet rublings of how the publishers interfered too much with development and/or harrassed or mistreated the developers. Games like Red Faction Armaggeddon which was marketed quite abit, yet the developers themselves even grumbled about how THQ had basically ruined the development of the game. Also games that were ostensibly undercooked because of supertight schedules, yet marketed to hell and back, like Fallout New Vegas and others. I didn't mean that marketing budgets are increased to make-up for shitty games, rather from the outset, on many projects this gen, insufficient time nor creative freedom was given to the devs to actually create the games, whilst large amounts wee still spent on marketing.

And you should see how sales people deal with bad games, sales people won't sell what they perceive to be bad games to clients because their ability to do their job is based entirely on the relationship with the client.

Your view of dev strangled by evil publisher is extremely naive.
Bad games get made for many reasons, what should happen is more of them should get killed early, but like many investments, it's hard to make the decision.

Absolutely. Completely agree. But if a decision is made not to kill the game outwright, then they should minimise the marketing budget and at least let the dev tidy up the game with a bit of polishing time if possible. So long as a game has at least a few redeeming qualities there is always a chance sales could grow through word of mouth into cult status. Otherwise, kill it move onto something new.

It's great to talk about giving devs more time, but I've seen that destroy games as well.

Was it purely the extra time that killed the games in question, or other additinal factors? If a game has a great premise, is coming together well during the course of development, yet doesn't appear to be able to meet its given schedule, I can't see how affording the devs an extra few months of polish would somehow kill a game? If the game wasn't working at all, then of course, more time to polsih a turd will still produce a turd at the end of the day.

To ship a great selling, high quality title requires a team with vision, a publisher who believes in the product (yes this really matters if you want to sell any), team management with great focus, sufficient time and enough pressure to force you to execute.

Agree on all fronts. This was actually what I was trying to say before, but I thank you for your own much more eloquent rendering of it ;-)

FWIW I really like what Sony does with it's first parties, it pretty much leaves them alone, they have a successful blueprint, and Sony just makes them accountable. EA on the other hand has never quite figured this out, and I think it's because many of the upper echelon came up through development when it was very different than today.

I do wonder though about Sony's management more recently though. I mean i look at devs like ND, Guerilla games etc, and I wonder if both those teams not having to push useless features like 3D in U3 and KZ3 could have made those games better, granting the devs more time to execute on the things that really matter. Sony's top in-house teams themselves have excellent management and direction, but I still see a few things like 3D being pushed in their games that I suspect come more from publisher pressure than anything the devs would have desired to do themselves. It's these kinds of things that to me I would assume would affect how a developer would be able to successfully craft a fully well rounded product in a given amount of time (I assume Sony still dictates the development schedules).

I get that publishers can't simply give devs as long as they like to develop a game, but by being smart about what pressure you put on developers, along with being realistic about the amount of time you give them to finish a project, I think it would greatly benefit publishers like EA a whole lot more.

Ubisoft however doesn't get any criticism for me. As I actually have loved most of their games this gen. Particularly the AC series, which i find it crazy good how they are able to manage so many employees on different teams, on multiple games simultaneously, and yet still see the games improving with every successful release (have played only upto brotherhood so far).

100 people * 2 years @ 30k€/year = 6M€, I wonder what they do with the remaining millions...
(yes you have additional costs such as offices and such, but still not that much.)

Not true. Work on U2 started before work on U1 completed. Same for U3. There had to be more than one team handling the parallel development. It's also not true that ACB and ACR shared no team members with AC1/2/3. For one, there was a creative oversight from the same person. There's also a coherent (kinda) storyline which indicates there was a cooperation between teams. ND is not a magical place full of unicorns. They do the same stuff pretty much every other studio does.

From all that ND has told us, they worked serially for UC1-3, with a team splintering off after UC2 to work on LOS. Do you have some other facts?

I do wonder though about Sony's management more recently though. I mean i look at devs like ND, Guerilla games etc, and I wonder if both those teams not having to push useless features like 3D in U3 and KZ3 could have made those games better, granting the devs more time to execute on the things that really matter. Sony's top in-house teams themselves have excellent management and direction, but I still see a few things like 3D being pushed in their games that I suspect come more from publisher pressure than anything the devs would have desired to do themselves. It's these kinds of things that to me I would assume would affect how a developer would be able to successfully craft a fully well rounded product in a given amount of time (I assume Sony still dictates the development schedules).

Stereoscopic 3D is really easy to implement in a game if you already have split-screen support, which those games you mention have.

Rodéric said:
100 people * 2 years @ 30k€/year = 6M€ I wonder what they do with the remaining millions...
They employ another 200 people and ship the game after 3 more years.

Mobius1aic said:
Why would programmers have any real interest in developing cookie cutter titles?
Most programmers care about the tech they work on - they largely don't give a damn about the title it's in (beyond general recognition and potential bonus schemes).

Stereoscopic 3D is really easy to implement in a game if you already have split-screen support, which those games you mention have.

I would assume splitscreen addition was more a by-product of their 3D implementation. The previous games from both devs had neither ;-)

Back