COD Black Ops II

the SP in CoD is great, almost never cease to amaze me. i say almost, because MW2 and MW3 SP i dislike it.

as for CoD MP, its annoying since MW2. the unlock is crazy, who can remember all of that? o_O
its one of the reason i regret buying BF3 too, the unlock is too much.

even on BFBC2 i only play using M1 Garand

I was referring to both.
..... and by gameplay , I mean game-play systems/mechanics not game modes. Skill are developed by practice and map understanding improves over time. But the system that you use to implement your plans, the gameplay mechanic, the shooting, is very simple and easy. You can customise your gameplay using perks/abilities and custom gear in MP and play your own way, even though the basic option of actions perform-able in the game, though robust, are very limited and basic, leading to huge appeal of the game.
New comers love the simplicity and accesibility and old timers get hooked to the rewards and customisability. Learning combinations and trying them out. The basic shooting aspect is fun and well done, which is what catches the fancy initially, including the 60 fps silk smooth action, and the appeal is retained by the rewards that the game showers on you for playing ! Its an excellent formula to keep the player interested in your game. Why do you think it takes so few bullets to kill in COD ? so that every one can have fun, no one feels he is a noob ! "I can kill too ! " and then he is showered with rewards for doing it again and again ! and then he is allowed to make little changes to his stats and play just a bit different from the other guys out there. Making him feel like a King in his own right ! ;) He feels he has made his own game inside the game.
Its Infinity Ward's genius game design !:cool:
If you look at the shooters out there it takes about just as many bullets to kill people, it takes even less in a gam elike Counter Strike, but that game is hard as hell because of this. Infact in Battlefield 3 it takes even less hits to kill someone, the gametypes i mentioned is simply inaccessible to new players, they will struggle to get kills because of their lack of knowledge.

But yes I do agree about the unlock system.

Now if only they'd sell the sp and mp portions of the game separately.

I agree with this. I absolutely love the SP of the COD games, I think it's brilliant. But I have no use for the MP.

Myself, I think this may be the downfall of the COD franchise as it's moving away from what makes COD so great, IMO. Moving away from just giving people more of what they like and want.

We'll see how it goes though. Perhaps it'll be more of the COD I like, and less of a change in direction that it appears to be on the surface.

Regards,
SB

Why quadroped mechs? The technical advantage of having legs to get over short obstacles is mitigated by a lack of speed (judging from the video) and extreme complexity. A small bipedal system made to move like a human actually makes sense for urban operations. A quad makes no absolute sense at all.

Interesting to see CoD go futuristic though.

For stability reasons. A quadroped may be able to still limp on if you take out one or even two legs. At the very least it's not going to tip over.

Why quadroped mechs? The technical advantage of having legs to get over short obstacles is mitigated by a lack of speed (judging from the video) and extreme complexity. A small bipedal system made to move like a human actually makes sense for urban operations. A quad makes no absolute sense at all.

Interesting to see CoD go futuristic though.

Not only for stability as Sigfried1977 mentioned, which is important for combat, but a quadraped is significantly more durable and less reliant on either significant weight assigned to gryoscopes or significant reliance on a computers ability to manage balancing a biped while the structure may be absorbing shots and hence forces which may topple a biped.

Properly done in a combat situation a quadraped can be slowed such that 3 "legs" are always on the ground making it difficult to topple. In a stable firing position 4 "legs" are down giving an extremely stable firing position versus 2 "legs" or evel 3 "legs".

Basically it's less complicated and far more stable as a weapons platform than a biped. Especially in when moving.

It's one of the main reasons heavy logging robots/vehicles are generally quadrapeds or hexapeds versus being bipedal or tripedal.

Regards,
SB

Not only for stability as Sigfried1977 mentioned, which is important for combat, but a quadraped is significantly more durable and less reliant on either significant weight assigned to gryoscopes or significant reliance on a computers ability to manage balancing a biped while the structure may be absorbing shots and hence forces which may topple a biped.

Properly done in a combat situation a quadraped can be slowed such that 3 "legs" are always on the ground making it difficult to topple. In a stable firing position 4 "legs" are down giving an extremely stable firing position versus 2 "legs" or evel 3 "legs".

Basically it's less complicated and far more stable as a weapons platform than a biped. Especially in when moving.

It's one of the main reasons heavy logging robots/vehicles are generally quadrapeds or hexapeds versus being bipedal or tripedal.

Regards,
SB

At such size and speed as in the trailer video, you might as well have a tank or wheeled video since you won't have to worry about stability or a tank with some kind of legs that can be extended so you still get the benefits of a wheeled vehicle while having the legs for getting over obstacles.

I still think a quad would be too slow and complicated to be useful in the urban environment. A humanish biped (at 20 ft high or so) could theoretically climb buildings, make better use of vertical cover to lean or look over structures, and probably run faster, not to mention could manipulate the environment using it's arms. Yes, it would require more complicated systems to keep upright and be balanced, but it's agility would probably be much greater. I think all these things would be worth the risk of losing a leg which of course would put it out of action. Like anything else, it would just be another part of combined arms operations.

After being letdown by BF3, I think I might be in for this. Haven't played CoD since MW2 so I've had a good "rest."

I might be tempted to get this one depending on what else they show for the SP (probably PC :p).

I'm going with 360 version. I've learned my lesson about hacking and exploits on a PC fps over and over now.

I would be skipping MP for sure, in which case graphics is all that's left for me to decide between the SKUs. Oh well. ;)

I had no idea so many people played COD for its SP. I thought SP had been dead since after COD4, and people buy just for MP. But you guys are all talking about getting it for SP ! Personally, I think if u want a good 60fps shooter campaign, u play RAGE, not COD.

It's been dead to me since CoD2, so go figure. :p

COD, COD2 and COD4. The series died for me after that. COD3, did not feel like a COD game at all ! The gameplay was just not COD, except for one instance. THere could have been more, but I quit after a while.
I have just bought a used MW3 to chk it out again and see whats up, but I am not too positive. Basically want to try out the MP. We used to play COD MP in our studio to cheer up during crunch times, but that was all. From what I see , it was a completely different MP then and now. Lets hope I have some fun with MW3.

But my new PS3 isn't here yet, so have to wait to sample it.

COD, COD2 and COD4. The series died for me after that. COD3, did not feel like a COD game at all ! The gameplay was just not COD, except for one instance. THere could have been more, but I quit after a while.
I have just bought a used MW3 to chk it out again and see whats up, but I am not too positive. Basically want to try out the MP. We used to play COD MP in our studio to cheer up during crunch times, but that was all. From what I see , it was a completely different MP then and now. Lets hope I have some fun with MW3.

But my new PS3 isn't here yet, so have to wait to sample it.

I ended at WaW. I played MW2 on a free Steam weekend, and I pretty much said "F this". Whereas up through WaW, the series stayed decently realistic, after that, it just got ridiculous. I miss the larger maps we got with the first two main games as well. I still have great memories of Hurtgen.

RenegadeRocks said:
Fixed ! They have an excellent reward system for doing it again and again ! Thats why gamers flock to it. Gameplay itself is very very basic, just that the rewards are varied, customisable and they are a LOT in number.
I am not saying its bad or anything. Its clever, very very clever in getting people addicted to it. Distilling a gameplay down to its basic core element is pro's job. Original IW nailed it with COD4:MW. It takes deep understanding of a play system to distill it down to its most basic element, so that every one can play and then build a reward system so elaborate that people stay hooked.

I luw how your arrogant enough to believe you know the formula as to why cod sells in the numbers it does and even go so far as to "fix" others statements.

The only reason I play cod is because, like the person you "fixed" the statement For also believes, that shooting feels right.

I can aim exactly where I want, when I want, and I can to in 1/60th of a second.

This combined with the fast pace makes the multiplayer a winner for me. It requires ridiculous amount of skill at top level, and there is little to no chance in hell for any newcomer to have even a remote chance of doing well in mp.

RenegadeRocks said:
I was referring to both.
..... and by gameplay , I mean game-play systems/mechanics not game modes. Skill are developed by practice and map understanding improves over time. But the system that you use to implement your plans, the gameplay mechanic, the shooting, is very simple and easy. You can customise your gameplay using perks/abilities and custom gear in MP and play your own way, even though the basic option of actions perform-able in the game, though robust, are very limited and basic, leading to huge appeal of the game.

Um. Isn't tithe same in all shooters? You basically can run around, jump, and shoot?? IMO the customizations mean nothing. All that matters is that the shooting part is really well done, most games have ripped of the whole xp and customize part.

RenegadeRocks said:
. Why do you think it takes so few bullets to kill in COD ? so that every one can have fun, no one feels he is a noob ! "I can kill too ! " and then he is showered with rewards for doing it again and again !

This part is just LOL. The few bullets to kill is because the game is trying to portray some semi realistic arcade shooter.

As far as making it more noob friendly? That is just silly. There is a reason why my kill death ratio is usually mind blowingly good the first weeks of the game. It's because few bullets to kill combined with super fast aiming makes this one of the most unfriendly games for noobs out there.

In bf3 you can steal a tank and you can get a lot of easy kills vs infantry. In cod? If the game was noob friendly, I wouldn't be able to do 100+ win streaks in FFA. There is simply no chance whatsoever of a noob winning over a skilled player in cod, sure he might get a kill or two, but you do that in any game..

Hell, mw2 has to be the most noob unfriendly mp console game there is. This is just because most good players are running 2 shot kill UMP + akimbo 1887's. and the really good ones will use the OSK intervention and quick scope it at maximum sensitivity.

(actually mw2 isn't, q3a mp would hold that title - although I dunno if it's on consoles.)

Last edited by a moderator:
orangpelupa said:
for me, the shooting really feel "right" in cod series.

shooting in BFBC2 feel different but still "right".
shooting in BF3? 100% feel "wrong" for me

unfortunately i dont know why i felt like that.

back about black ops, i wish they able to bring awesome heavy scripted set pieces in "low profile" style like those Sniper in bush mission in CoD4.
The intense is superb and good distraction/break from the majority bang bang boom boom set pieces the player experienced the whole game.

but if not, then awesome boom boom action like on Black Ops 1 is still OK.

Bf3 has accelerated aiming, meaning that depending on how much you move the stick from the center position increases the speed of turning. This means that the game requires a lot more getting used to in order to get the same accuracy as cod, because you have to learn the different acceleration levels across the stick. 5% left is much slower than 80% left turning.

I'm cod, (and bf2bc and about a gazillion othershooters) sensitivity decides how fast you turn - not where you are from the center. A lot easier to get used to!

This is somewhat simplified (deadzones etc involved but you get the gist of it)

KZ2 (haven't played 3) had the same accelerated aiming setup as bf3 which ruined it for me and many others (however they eventually allowed an option to have no acceleration).

I ended at WaW. I played MW2 on a free Steam weekend, and I pretty much said "F this". Whereas up through WaW, the series stayed decently realistic, after that, it just got ridiculous. I miss the larger maps we got with the first two main games as well. I still have great memories of Hurtgen.

The over the top part in Black Ops was the reason I enjoyed the campaign so much. I pretty much despise the usual "America Fuck Yeah, now Let's Shoot at some Brown Skinned People"-type of shooters, but Blops, whether it was intentional or not, felt more like an ultra violent Bond movie to me (going as far as including a super secret and super evil underwater base), and that's something I can get behind. Also loved Sam Worthington's horrible American accent. Almost felt like he didn't even try.

Oh, and everyone who appreciates a nice sp shooter campaign should absolutely try Resistance 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone getting this for PS3? I have been pretty cold on COD due to getting BF:BC2 and discovering that BF has a player base that is, in general, more likely to actually try to assault and defend objectives instead of treating every single mode like TDM.

Anyway, I was going to skip this one (hated MW2, skipped MW3, was okay with BlOps but didn't like the maps), but then I found out that yes, indeed, bots will be available in every single mode except S&D. Frankly, nothing has disappointed me so much about this generation as the complete lack of a suitable replacement for Timesplitters, and this game is going to be about the closest thing in terms of how I can play it without having to resort to playing with Random Internet People.

Back