List of games with v-sync (no screen tearing)

justspaztik

Newcomer
I really hate screen tearing with a passion but I love playing on consoles. My eyes are really sensitive to screen tearing and I see it without even trying (some people claim to not be able to see it, which I don't understand why because when your screen is ripping up and down all the time, how can you say that looks normal?)

Anyway. I wanted to start a thread with a list of CONSOLE games that have zero screen tearing (We'll need a list for PS3 and a list for 360). I can start the list, but I have not played every single game out there. I'm sure there are some games in my collection I am completely forgetting about. Also, I'm only counting double-buffered v-sync titles and triple-buffered v-sync titles. I will not count soft v-sync (such as RAGE) where it's v-synced unless the frame takes too long and v-sync is temporarily gets turned off.

PS3:
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
Infamous
Infamous 2
Infamous: Festival of Blood (PSN)
God of War 3
Red Dead Redemption
Grand Theft Auto 4
Prototype 2
Saint's Row 2 (includes v-sync option)
Saint's Row: The Third
Skate
Skate 2 (includes v-sync option)
Skate 3 (includes v-sync option)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Killzone 2
Killzone 3
Tomb Raider HD Collection
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Portal 2
Crysis (PSN)
Crysis 2
Just Cause 2
Socom 4
Sly Cooper HD Collection
Jak and Daxter HD Collection
Silent Hill HD Collection
ICO & Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection
God of War I & II HD Collection
Limbo (PSN)
Braid (PSN)
Outland (PSN)
Trine (PSN) - Not sure on this one
Trine 2 (played more of the game and found it tearing in the later levels.)
Terminator Salvation
Wanted: Weapons of Fate
Midnight Club: LA
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Fear
Fear 2
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: World at War
Modern Warfare 2
Modern Warfare 3
Lost Planet 2
Dead to Rights
Metal Gear Solid 4
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Test Drive Unlimited 2
Resident Evil 5
Rayman Origins
LA Noire
Burnout: Paradise
Mortal Kombat
Twisted Metal
Starhawk

That's all I can think of for now. Let me know and I'll keep adding to this list. It could be useful for people like me who are wondering if they can buy a game, but they're not sure if it will contain tearing or not. I play some games on PC, but I really prefer to play on consoles. Please be easy on me. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Article Anandtech Triple Buffering: Why We Love It http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794 (Double buffering, triple buffering, vsync)

NOTICE: The games listed in this thread don't contain any information if any of the games are double or tripple buffered. In some of the articles posted on Digital Foundry (Eurogamer) we can find information about some of the games that they are tripple buffered, as an example the game MAG.

PS3:
MAG
Marvel vs Capcom 3
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2

/ Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
PS3:
Skyrim
Mod Nation Racers
Journey (PSN)
Flower (PSN)
Flow (PSN)
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
SSX
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Syndicate
Brink
Dark Souls
Deus Ex Human Revolution
De Blob 2
Splatterhouse
Vanquish
Chronicles of Riddick
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Darksiders
Bionic Commando
Godfather 2
Bioshock (?)
Bioshock 2
Unreal Tournament 3
The Club
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Dead Nation (PSN)
Haze
Resistance: Fall of Man
Resistance 2
Resistance 3
Ratchet & Clank (Series)
Yakuza (Series)
Siren: Blood Curse
Sports Champions

Whew, that's a freakin' lot of games. However, still, most games suffer from the dreaded screen tearing, so compared to all the games available, this list is still pretty small.

i'll shut my mouth.

How are you editing your post? I'm trying to find the edit button and there is none? Do I have to have a certain number of posts before I can edit them?

I'm new to this forum, but I was looking for a good tech forum because in the normal gaming forums people are like "What is screen tearing?", "My copy is fine! No tearing here!" and let's not forget "It's probably your TV or your PS3 is overheating". Un-informed people annoy me.

So I figured this would be a good place to make this list and people are actually going to UNDERSTAND what I'm trying to achieve. I certainly can't be the only one who detests screen tearing.

So I figured this would be a good place to make this list and people are actually going to UNDERSTAND what I'm trying to achieve. I certainly can't be the only one who detests screen tearing.
I hate screen tearing,. However, I also hate juddery, inconsistent framerates, and I'd probaly take a little tear in the top half of the screen every now and then over sudden interruptions in the refresh. How many of your listed games are constant frames per second?

I hate screen tearing,. However, I also hate juddery, inconsistent framerates, and I'd probaly take a little tear in the top half of the screen every now and then over sudden interruptions in the refresh. How many of your listed games are constant frames per second?

I know the Killzone and Uncharted games are really smooth also the Infamous games are very consistent. Also, Just Cause 2 hardly ever dips, Dead Space games are solid and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is pretty flawless.

PS3
Warhammer 40,000
EDF: Insect Armageddon
Fallout: New Vegas
Dante's Inferno
Fight Night Champion
Street Fighter X Tekken
SoulCalibur 5

Skate
Skate 2
Skate 3
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Midnight Club: LA
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Silent Hill Homecoming
Tomb Raider Underworld
Left 4 Dead 2
Fear
Fear 2
Condemned: Bloodshot
Dead to Rights
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Warhammer 40,000
Splatterhouse
EDF: Insect Armageddon
De Blob 2
Dead Rising 2
The God Father II
Chronicles of Riddick
Burnout Paradise
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Dante's Inferno
Fight Night Champion
Dark Souls
Alice: Madness Returns
SSX
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
SoulCalibur 5

I can't think of any other 360 games that didn't tear. Crysis 1, and 2 had minor tearing at the top of the screen, but if I include them, then I also have to include Wet and LittleBigPlanet for the same situation.

Anyone got any more games that feature full-on v-sync?

what about Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, and Star Ocean TLH?
im not really sure, its been very long time, but i think those 3 are vsync on.

although lost odyssey gameplay looks vsynced but on cutscene its vsync off (so many tearing, double tearing too)

How many games on PC have constant frames per second when vsync is enabled? Not many I would say.

/ Ken

This is the console forum - what's the relevance of the PC here? And your remark is irrelevant anyhow. Screen tearing exists because devs have to manage dropped frames somehow no matter what the hardware. They have three options:

1) Tear the screen on a late update
2) Wait for a vertical refresh and cause frame judder
3) Dial back the visuals so the worst-case scenarios that would drop frames/tear never happen

All three options have a negative consequence. Solving one means causing another. For this thread to be meaningful IMO, it needs to be collated as a chart with a list of game, tearing %, framerate fluctuation, and somehow measuring eyecandy. A list of games that don't tear but suffer in other ways not shown here fails to dentify the complex balancing issues developers have.

Hi Justspaztik,

Great initiative for this thread. I have checked you list but I am pretty sure some of those games have tearing and not vsync enabled, such as Unreal Tournament 3 for instance. Do you have all of those games? So you can be 100% sure that all the listed games actually are v-synced?

It would be better if you only took games, maybe those you own or that you are 100% sure of.

Member PS360 have done allot of average framerate/ tearing % analysis that could be used for updating ths list with. Maybe we should list things such as, target fps, min fps, max fps, average fps, tearing % etc.

/ Ken

I made this list by using the following:

1. Owning some of the games. I can see with my eyes if it tears or not.
2. Reading frame analysis on DigitalFoundry and Lens of Truth (plus PS360Frame on YouTube)
3. Renting the game and testing it.

I was unaware than UT3 had screen tearing. I'm sorry about that. I thought it didn't. That's one game I've honestly never played.

It is my own personal preference to refuse to buy or play games that have any sort of screen tearing in them. I'd rather have lower res textures/shadows/particle effects than to put up with great visuals that only look good in still screenshots. It ruins the picture for me if it's broken up, so no matter how amazing it looks standing still, tearing complete negates all of that prettiness to me.

Are you not affected by framerate at all then? You'd happily take a jump in frame time from 33ms a frame to 67 ms over a tear in the top half of the screen?

Are you not affected by framerate at all then? You'd happily take a jump in frame time from 33ms a frame to 67 ms over a tear in the top half of the screen?

Nope, I'm pretty much not affected by framerate. While I can see framerate dip into the teens on occasions, I'd rather see a jerky image than a broken up image. It's just the way I am. It's pretty much a preference of mine to use v-sync no matter what the damage is.

When I used to game on PC, I used v-sync exclusively, but at least then I could change my graphics detail so it ran decent as well. The thing that sucks about playing on console is that you don't have a choice most of the time. When I first got my PS3, I thought it was going to be like the PS2, where developers designed the game to the strength that the system could handle, but instead I was wrong and the devs would rather go beyond the capabilities of the console and let the frames drop like crazy or simply turn off v-sync.

So I was kinda disappointed when I start gaming on PS3 to find out that almost every game I played had poor framerates or loads of tearing. It wasn't until Naughty Dog and Guerrilla Games started pumping out games with not only awesome looking graphics, but almost zero slowdown and absolutely no tearing whatsoever.

I would greatly prefer the developers to either lower the details or better optimize their games to get decent framerates without screen tearing, but I guess that's asking way too much. For some reason it wasn't really a problem last gen because I don't think people were expecting mind-blowing graphics. Now-a-days though, it seems people expect WAAAY too much from the current consoles and they believe they're super computers with infinite power and can compete with PC graphics. This is what makes the gaming industry over-do things so that they can market a good looking game through screenshots and PC videos, and then give us a screen tear fest or a slide show as the end product.

Sorry for the rant, but sometimes I love playing on console (Uncharted, Infamous etc) but sometimes I'm absolutely infuriated by the quality of most games. How can people buy this garbage?

Anyway... No, I'm not as picky about framerate as long as the screen doesn't split in half.

Back