PowerVR Interview with VP Business Development + PR Manager

Kristof

Regular
Supporter
Available from :

http://www.pvrgenerations.co.uk/cgi...iew/johndavid1011&printer=0&pagenum=1

and

http://www.mitrax.de/artikel.php?id=20

36. Judging from recent benchmark results (such as HL2 f.e.), do you think that applications/games are tending to become more shader limited and far less bandwidth limited than before? Do you predict that under those presuppositions future PowerVR products to be able to keep pace with the competition?

John: Different benchmarks have tended to stress different performance elements and while pixel shader performance is an important factor, bandwidth will remain top, or very close to top, of the list of factors affecting overall performance. One thing to note of course, is that if pixel shading is the bottleneck, a deferred texture engine only shades visible pixels and is therefore much more efficient than an immediate mode renderer in this respect too.

That was a very annoying and uninformative interview for those of us that are interested in the PVR Series 5 :)

Bjorn said:
That was a very annoying and uninformative interview for those of us that are interested in the PVR Series 5 :)
That's rather hurtful. Some of us have spent quite a bit of time on MBX. :cry: :D

Besides everything you want to know about S5 is in there... you just have to re-arrange the letters into the right order :p

6. Since ImgTec is not considering to turn into a fabless semiconductor company anytime soon, some reservations have been raised concerning the success of it's IP licensing model and future PC standalone products. Do you feel that products resulting from ImgTec's IP licensing scheme have a chance to put up the same level of competition as other IHVs?

John: Absolutely - we've got great licensees for PowerVR MBX including Renesas (Hitachi), Intel and Texas Instruments. We expect to continue to get that calibre of licensees for future IP.

Lol...I wonder who may have inspired that question. ;)

Unfortunately, I don't see anything in the answer that addresses PC discrete (particularly high-end) products.

Oh well, at least they seem committed to developing PowerVR6 regardless ... one bright point.

Simon F said:
Besides everything you want to know about S5 is in there... you just have to re-arrange the letters into the right order :p
That's funny, when I rearranged the letters I found some Shakespeare quotes :D

Joe DeFuria said:
6. Since ImgTec is not considering to turn into a fabless semiconductor company anytime soon, some reservations have been raised concerning the success of it's IP licensing model and future PC standalone products. Do you feel that products resulting from ImgTec's IP licensing scheme have a chance to put up the same level of competition as other IHVs?

John: Absolutely - we've got great licensees for PowerVR MBX including Renesas (Hitachi), Intel and Texas Instruments. We expect to continue to get that calibre of licensees for future IP.

Lol...I wonder who may have inspired that question. ;)

Unfortunately, I don't see anything in the answer that addresses PC discrete (particularly high-end) products.

Bingo Joe; which shows that my mind doesn't work only into one direction and I take a lot under consideration. I'm not going to get more specific, otherwise you'll flatter yourself too much LOL :D

MfA said:
Oh well, at least they seem committed to developing PowerVR6 regardless ... one bright point.

hehe, that's about what i got from it!

Simon F said:
Besides everything you want to know about S5 is in there... you just have to re-arrange the letters into the right order

oooooh! someone should belt you one day ;)

MfA said:

It's too early for ultra wide busses I guess.....*runs to save his life* :oops:

deviantchild said:
Simon F said:
Besides everything you want to know about S5 is in there... you just have to re-arrange the letters into the right order

oooooh! someone should belt you one day ;)
My apologies. I've lately taken up doing cryptic crosswords and I was also under the influence of that other thread with the infinite number of monkeys.

Simon F said:
Besides everything you want to know about S5 is in there...

Aha - are the Series 5 specs hidden within the images of John Metcalfe and Dave Harold by steganography then? :p

Hmmm....

We've noticed some job vacancies lately at ImgTec. Have those spots been filled in the meantime, or are there still open positions?

Hmm, is this an indication of a big expansion to support a new product *cough*Series5*cough*

or more ominously, rats leaving a sinking ship?

:devilish:

Mariner said:
Simon F said:
Besides everything you want to know about S5 is in there...
Aha - are the Series 5 specs hidden within the images of John Metcalfe and Dave Harold by steganography then? :p
Perhaps if they hadn't converted the PNGs to JPG...

Jodi said:
We've noticed some job vacancies lately at ImgTec. Have those spots been filled in the meantime, or are there still open positions?

Hmm, is this an indication of a big expansion to support a new product *cough*Series5*cough*
or more ominously, rats leaving a sinking ship?
Nahh. They just accidentally fell into the "duck pit".

Back