Nvidia BigK GK110 Kepler Speculation Thread

I am really disappointed with NVIDIA , releasing the card at 1.0GHz would have resulted in an even bigger winning margin , with less power/noise than even 290X!

WOW :oops:

2igixyr.jpg

ran6di.jpg

Maximum overclock of our sample is 1120 MHz GPU (base) clock (28% overclocking) and 1975 MHz memory (13% overclock).

GPU overclocking potential is VERY impressive. It's been a while since I've seen a GPU do almost 30% OC on launch day. Memory overclocks well too, thanks to the fast memory chips, and reaches typical levels for 7 Gbps GDDR5

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780_Ti/30.html

The price of 700$ is a little bit annoying in their typical unfriendly nvidiish style, could have been better at 600$ :devilish:

I don't think that GTX 780 Ti reference is really GK110 at the ragged edge. My expectation is that we will see higher performance GTX 780 Ti variants come to market this year. The performance would probably be really good with higher thermal/fan speed/power limits.

Yep, not even close to the ragged edge! (unlike the 94c Uber mode competitor). :)
And for the most part most reviewers seem in agreement ....

inno3D already announced OC 780 Ti and EVGA too (1006MHz base clock with ACX cooler. Dual classified version TBA). So Ti GHz editions all over the place...

I was expecting quite a bit more from a full GK110 near the ragged edge to be frank.

Thats a bit exagerated. The reference design if anything is still conservative with 250W power target and 83C temp target compared to AMD Uber mode.

Also by the looks of reviews on average GK110 B1 is overclocking significantly higher than Hawaii. When the dust settles in a couple months and all vendors have their custom third party designs out, I'd expect the most premium 780Ti's to outperform the best Hawaii based cards by 10% at least. 4K looks to be the 290X's stronghold so it could be quite close there.

One thing I am highly impressed with is AMD's crossfire scaling in some of these reviews. Looks like NV has some work to do there.

Its not everything I was hoping for but its enough. Faster, quieter and cooler than the 290x in either bios mode is quite nice. They're charging a bit too much though. $150 over the 290x isn't justified, especially when the 3rd party coolers will bring noise levels in uber mode more in line with 780Ti. $50-$100 would be more reasonable.

I was expecting quite a bit more from a full GK110 near the ragged edge to be frank.

It would probably be louder than what NVIDIA is comfortable with at higher clocks, but that's a limitation of the cooler, not the chip.

Remove the 300W power cap, add a huge cooler, and it should be able to handle >1100MHz. Then again, that's probably true of Hawaii as well.

I don't think there is much performance to be found between 250W and 300W, which is why I specified "near" the ragged edge instead of at it.

As said before, the temps (and overclocking) are really all about the cooler. The 290X with an IceQ cooler maxes out at mid 70's with furmark and low 60's with Crysis 3 and BF4. That's a 50% drop in temps with a partner cooler...

http://www.techspot.com/review/736-amd-radeon-r9-290/page8.html (near the bottom)

Might as well throw a blanket over these chips, there's nothing between them.

WOW :oops:

2igixyr.jpg

ran6di.jpg

Maximum overclock of our sample is 1120 MHz GPU (base) clock (28% overclocking) and 1975 MHz memory (13% overclock).

GPU overclocking potential is VERY impressive. It's been a while since I've seen a GPU do almost 30% OC on launch day. Memory overclocks well too, thanks to the fast memory chips, and reaches typical levels for 7 Gbps GDDR5

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780_Ti/30.html

The price of 700$ is a little bit annoying in their typical unfriendly nvidiish style, could have been better at 600$ :devilish:

The amazing thing is they achieved that with the default fan profile with a 75% asic.

A 290x needed an overvolt which increased power consumption by 250watts and 100% constant fan profile to achieve a similar clock.

My hearing is worth more than $150 dollars.

The amazing thing is they achieved that with the default fan profile with a 75% asic.

A 290x needed an overvolt which increased power consumption by 250watts and 100% constant fan profile to achieve a similar clock.

My hearing is worth more than $150 dollars.

and in two to three weeks it wont and it will still be ~130-140 cheaper.

I don't think there is much performance to be found between 250W and 300W, which is why I specified "near" the ragged edge instead of at it.

As said before, the temps (and overclocking) are really all about the cooler. The 290X with an IceQ cooler maxes out at mid 70's with furmark and low 60's with Crysis 3 and BF4. That's a 50% drop in temps with a partner cooler...

http://www.techspot.com/review/736-amd-radeon-r9-290/page8.html (near the bottom)

Might as well throw a blanket over these chips, there's nothing between them.

It's a ~43% drop in ΔT (in Crysis 3) and a ~8.5% drop in actual temperature, but that's not important.

There's performance to be found between any two power points so long as you can ramp clockspeeds without a disproportionate increase in voltage, which should be possible for GK110 and Hawaii up to about 1.1, perhaps even 1.2GHz.

But yes, I agree that custom 290Xs and 780 Tis should be very close in terms of performance, power, and noise. Fundamentally, GK110 may be a little better in perf/W, while Hawaii is better in perf/mm².

But yes, I agree that custom 290Xs and 780 Tis should be very close in terms of performance, power, and noise. Fundamentally, GK110 may be a little better in perf/W, while Hawaii is better in perf/mm².

Sounds about right. Some comparisons with similar or identical coolers will be very interesting.

I'll still put my money on the Ti being faster but with the noise issue gone it'll all come down to price and extra's like bundles, Mantle, TruAudio and G-Sync.

Sounds about right. Some comparisons with similar or identical coolers will be very interesting.

I'll still put my money on the Ti being faster but with the noise issue gone it'll all come down to price and extra's like bundles, Mantle, TruAudio and G-Sync.

AMD's partners should have enough headroom for a 5~10% overclock, which ought to be enough to reclaim the lead. Of course, NVIDIA's partners may well do the same with the 780 Ti.

AMD's partners should have enough headroom for a 5~10% overclock, which ought to be enough to reclaim the lead. Of course, NVIDIA's partners may well do the same with the 780 Ti.

Custom cooled 780's didn't really clock much higher than stock versions though. It seems nVidia's power limits really hold things back. I might spring for an ACX or DCII 780 Ti but I'm not expecting much better clocks (1100Mhz) than what we saw in reviews today.

Back