PowerVR MBX realized in Silicon

Kristof

Regular
Supporter
After the BitBoys G10 we now have the PowerVR MBX Chip and development boards :

http://www.arm.com/news/Versatile1510

Quotes :

CAMBRIDGE, UK – Oct. 15, 2003 –ARM, [(LSE:ARM);(Nasdaq:ARMHY)], the industry's leading provider of 16/32-bit embedded RISC microprocessor solutions, today announced that it has extended the RealView® hardware development solution with the launch of the Versatile family of hardware development boards. This family includes the first development board to support both the ARM926EJ-S™ PrimeXsys™ Platform and a range of integrated high performance IP, such as Imagination Technologies' PowerVR MBX 3D graphics acceleration technology, implemented in a system on chip.

The first board in the Versatile family is the RealView Versatile Platform Baseboard. Based on an integrated development chip, this board has been designed specifically for ASIC emulation and prototyping, and supports advanced 3D graphics application development around ARM and PowerVR MBX cores.

This is the first time Imagination Technologies' PowerVR MBX IP has been realized in silicon, enabling developers to prototype applications that will port easily to future consumer devices.

"The ARM RealView Versatile Platform enables manufacturers to short circuit the design cycle for next-generation mobile phones and PDAs," said John Metcalfe, VP Business Development (PowerVR), Imagination Technologies plc. "These products will require PowerVR MBX's advanced graphics performance and capabilities, for the applications needed to draw in new consumers and maintain the phone-replacement market. The Versatile Platform lets manufacturers engage with software and application developers now to enable this vital content."

Joe DeFuria said:
Alright! Series5 in silicon!!

Oh...wait....DAMN! o_O

Seriously, congratulations! Looking forward to seeing what MBX can do. :)

Not too far apart from reality. After the obnoxiously long wait, why have only one high end product in just one market? Don't remind me of the presuppositions I'm very well aware of them. :p

Never associate PowerVR 5 with the Phantom console. The name of the console clearly enough illustrates what it really is. A non-existant scam.

Kristof, read your PMs.

Oh, and grats! Looking foward to see how good it'll be.

CC: Ninjas Ducks? OMG, you've got Japan in your hands thus! And that means you can't fab at IBM, TSMC or UMC, only small, crappy japanese fabs. Bah! You guys are screwed! Why did you have to go with Ninjas anyway? We all prefer SS spy armies :D
Or anyway I do ;) Just kidding!

Uttar

Bah don't u guys worry about it . I have elma fud (sp?) coming on the mission. We will get Simon to talk . I know his weakness ..... We will make him watch j lo movies over and over again... bawhahaha .

Are you going to spill it Simon or am I forced to come after u .

Seriously when can I buy a product from u guys . I'm interested in supporting your company :)

Versatile--I love it. Let's see if that name proves to be as stubborn as GeForce. ;)

Russ: funny and topical? Someone get this man a comedy show!

Captain Chickenpants said:
jvd said:
Okay who is up for dressing in black and raiding the power vr building ?

I wouldn't recommend it!
We have an army of Ninja Ducks patrolling the perimiter.

CC

Ewwww so we're going to have duck stew tonight :D

To me it interests what the ARM processor paired up with the MBX can do as that will be where the T&L bottleneck will be unless we can also see the DX8 Vertex Shader that is.

Also, to Simon F. which IS listening.... I will tell you two things ( yes I am persistent ): DOT3 blending and Volume Modifier support on the platform you know :devilish:

I was good enough to keep this Kyro II card even if to avoid it over-heating I had to under-clock it 15-16 MHz lower than what it came clocked at :p

;)

( Hey I have to attack on the "make 'em feel bad" button, right ? ;) )

Speaking of PVR MBX..... (Hey Pana :D)
Here's something I cooked up to utilise it!

Previously posted at Gaming age:

PSP. It's big, it's bad and it's coming. And I think it's also gonna be expensive. They are marketing this thing as a portable do it all entertainment device with optical ROM, pair of new new 300+Mhz chips, huge 320x480 LCD, music and MPEG4 playback etc. so I see at least $200 or even $250+ for the price. I think that's it's weak spot.

So I've come up with a plan for MS to sucker punch PSP to the top of the market.

XBoy..... launching 10-23-04....... @$123.40

facd34b2.jpg.orig.jpg

Please don't focus on the design. It's just meant to illustrate approximate look and feel of the device and nothing more.

Specs:

SCREEN - 3.6 inch 320x240 trans-reflective backlit TFT LCD
CPU - 200Mhz PXA255 XScale
GPU CORE - 100Mhz PowerVR MBX
RAM - 16MB PC100 SDRAM (Unified architecture)
SOUND - 64 voice channel core integrated into System ASIC with the GPU core
ROM - 64~128MB mini cartridge with 2X lossless compression (modified MMC with copy protection)
FLASH - MMC/SD slot for game saves and MP3 storage (custom soundtrack)
BATTERY - 1200mA Li-Ion

It a lean mean 3D game portable. With it's DX compatable GPU and modified PPC OS, development should be a breeze. No Optical ROM mean longer battery life, the 320x240 LCD should be good enough for portable gaming (and really cheap by next year), the ample RAM should let it compete decently with the lesser RAMed PSP, and by unleashing the prototype with some key games at E3 next year, the sucker punch should sting quite a bit thanks in large part to the price.

What do you think? Discuss.

Back