Nvidia BigK GK110 Kepler Speculation Thread

I assumed the article meant a heatspreader for the RAM on the reverse side of the board.

...But yeah, NV has capped its GPUs for many years now, except for 680 generation for some reason I believe.

To be honest, I haven't seen Fermi Tesla disassembled, but GK110 seems not to be covered by an IHS in Tesla.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember a picture of bare GF100 chips in a tray with only a protective metal shim glued on, back few mounts before the consumer Fermi boards came out. Those could have been for Tesla SKUs.

Aren't heatspreaders useless?, i.e. just there to not damage the core, or slightly optimize the use of cheap cooling.
I remember some overclockers would remove the heatspreader on their CPU. Seems like if you have a high power chip on an expensive product with nice cooling (so slightly more $$ can be spent on this), then you don't need that spreader.

Aren't heatspreaders useless?, i.e. just there to not damage the core, or slightly optimize the use of cheap cooling.
I remember some overclockers would remove the heatspreader on their CPU. Seems like if you have a high power chip on an expensive product with nice cooling (so slightly more $$ can be spent on this), then you don't need that spreader.

It depends on what's being used between the chip and heatspreader, for example Intel used apparently quite good stuff with SB's but went cheap with IB.
Most who do something to the heatspreader just sand it to mirror polish for better contact with the heatsink.

CPU caps are mainly there to protect the core I believe. Damage wasn't an issue when chips used old-style wirebonding since the IC sat underneath the package and not on top, but flipchips are more exposed... Combatting hotspots isn't the true purpose of the cap I believe, as the heatsink should be able to perform that role just as well as the cap and probably better in case of a good heatsink.

Before someone removed the article. :LOL:

jsdbac.jpg

Looks quite decent. If priced well at around 650 $ it can be a killer product but I doubt it.

jsdbac.jpg

Looks quite decent. If priced well at around 650 $ it can be a killer product but I doubt it.

I doubt like you that would go for 650. Though I pray that it does. Looking at those numbers my dream of one card powering everything at 2560 x 1600 with high settings is still a pipe dream. Getting closer every new generation though.

jsdbac.jpg

$900 is too high, but Nvidia would be even dumber to price it at $650. Especially when they'll bin more GK110 chips for cut-down parts to fill in more price gaps. GF110 had 3 SKU's in retail plus another SKU for OEM. GK110 will likely follow the same route. A starting price of $650 would put the next two parts at $550 and $450, pushing GK104 / GK114 down to $349.
GK104 is going for ~$450 right now, why in the hell would they want to push that card's price down a hundred bucks?

I think best case scenario GTX Titan 6gb comes in at $799, GTX Titan 3gb comes in at $699, the first cut down GK110 will start at $599, and the next will be $499, leaving GK114 to come in between $399-449. More than likely, though, the $900 rumor is true.

Back