Dishonored

I definitely felt the game a bit short, for all the masterpiece style and design in there. Now, I'm replaying it again, on the highest difficulty setting, trying to avoid fatalities as much as possible, and I dare to say that way the game is even more strikingly similar to the Thief series.

I think I only killed one enemy intentionally...

I agree, the game definitely feels a bit shorter than it should.

Because I hadn't read the controls thoroughly and had the tutorial/popup UI stuff all off, I didn't know about choke hold or how to use grenades until I had almost beaten the game. Heh. I'm working on my pacifist playthrough now.

I suspect this game will be seeing some DLC missions. Missions that should have been included from the start.

I definitely felt the game a bit short, for all the masterpiece style and design in there. Now, I'm replaying it again, on the highest difficulty setting, trying to avoid fatalities as much as possible, and I dare to say that way the game is even more strikingly similar to the Thief series.

I am still on the first mission after escaping the prison. Simply because on hardest difficulty try to keep people alive becomes interestingly complicated. I initially thought that to bypass the light walls I'd just snipe the whale oil tanks distracting the watch with the explosion and providing an easy route through. Problem is that also allows the rat swarms through and they decimate the watch.

Similarly knocking out too many watch means the swarms that they normally put down become an issue for them. I was horrified to see after I knocked the second wall out one of the watch, in searching for me, went down towards cobble street (I think that is the name) and got jumped by rats. His screams then meant every other watch member started to head down there and get swarmed - net result was about eight guards dead because I knocked out the walls.

So that approach didn't work. But then if you duck up the side alley you have the conflict over the dead guard to deal with. If you leave that alone then at least one if not two of the three die in the ensuing conflict. So I had to sleep dart them...

My current save is just outside the High Overseer's office district and getting there has taken me about nine hours of play.

I am also pretty sure I am a bad person - I did Granny Rags' quest. The implications of that are going to bite me on the arse even though it did net me an extra rune.

There is a lot of mise en scene built in. Finding the mother who watched her family die and put them together into body bags only to die alone herself. The two who tried to hide above the fishmongers. Gwen and Andrew with andrew having died waiting for Gwen at the end of the bridge. The Doctor who is keeping a rat swarm in his pantry and fed a maidservant to them when she refused to help keep the rats...

So yes on hardest difficult not only is there a very Thief like feel to the world but the game lasts longer due to the difficulty of doing a proper non-lethal/ghost approach.

I was horrified to see after I knocked the second wall out one of the watch, in searching for me, went down towards cobble street (I think that is the name) and got jumped by rats.

Does the game blame you for that ?

I am still on the first mission after escaping the prison. Simply because on hardest difficulty try to keep people alive becomes interestingly complicated. I initially thought that to bypass the light walls I'd just snipe the whale oil tanks distracting the watch with the explosion and providing an easy route through. Problem is that also allows the rat swarms through and they decimate the watch.
You can go over/along the buildings in the area to get through there. You might need the double jump height ability in some cases though.

Does the game blame you for that ?

I don't have direct personal evidence for that but I have seen game reviews, particularly the rock paper shotgun, talk about accidentally killing guards with rat swarms and it counting against their chaos rating.

It should count in this case as if you leave the light walls up then the guards will live. It was knocking them down and distracting the guards that caused them to die.

Bought the game last Fri for $25 off Amazon and started it last night. Graphics are disappointing, but after the first few levels it feels like a good game. No powers yet, so that'll open things up.

I wish they'd patch the issue with Galvani level. I'm stuck at a point where I can't go any further. Couldn't be arsed going back to the beginning so started on Xcom instead. People have been waiting a month for a patch without any luck. Their forum feedback is shocking.

But it seems a good, intelligent game, so I'm glad it's doing well.

Forum feedback is usually shocking these days. What problem are you having with that mission?

Forum feedback is usually shocking these days. What problem are you having with that mission?

It's weird. If you as a company go to all the bother of having a forum you should at least, ya know, address some problems. They stated they're working on a fix over a month ago and have subsequently gone completely quiet.

Seems it's a cross-platform issue whereby, in certain circumstances, you'll get a loading screen freeze when trying to get to any other area after the Galvani house. The "solution" seems to be - go back to the start and try again, hoping the same thing doesn't happen again. With XCom to play though, that'll have to wait.

A great game. I didn't find it short at all. Just the right length. As far as nitpicks go, I was annoyed that the amount of people I kill was a reason for punishment even with all the toys and options of murder at my disposal.

Back