DirectX SDK users

Davros

Legend
I found this post
I'm using the DirectX SDK to compile game definition files (GDF.dll) for all of my pc games that I'll use to populate the Games Explorer in Windows 7. I noticed the GDF Editor allows you to put up to five Genres, Publishers, and Developers, but Explorer will only show one of those items only, so I'm trying to figure out why would it be possible to have more entries if they will never show up anyway. And yes, I've also signed the GDFs in their respective registry keys.

Could any of you familiar with the DirectX SDK/Game Definition File Editor shed some light on this?

Is the Game Definition File Editor a standalone program, what would I need to be able to run it ?

It's a standalone program in the DirectX SDK, called GDFMaker.exe. You use it to edit resources which you then link into your executable.

visual studio express is freeware so no big deal if you have to get it.
would be funny to add DOS games launched by a script (that runs dosbox with a tuned .conf file)
even games ran from other emulators.

or sublty slowing down your system and making it brittle in strange ways. I remember installing every crap in XP : cygwin, msys, X server, microsoft SFU, openssh for windows etc. in my quest for a Unix-like environment on windows. I don't remember the quirks.

I would do it in a VM (would be nice if windows gets sandboxing such as with freeBSD jails but that surely would be an "enterprise" feature)
but else I'm pretty confident it should be a "setup.exe / next / next / finish" procedure and the "Express" maybe means the most complicated crap isn't there.

If humus would send me the exe file ( GDFMaker.exe ) I would try it

ps: tried photon game manager and its very good but only when it recognizes a game, when it doesnt or gets it wrong its a real pain

ps: Humus as you seem to have experience with it do you know why it adds a shield to some games ?

Hi all,
I'm the creator of GameManager and I know its got alot of problems, I currently working on V4 which hopefully will be much more amazing. Anyway to answer your question, the shields (I assume you mean those green things on the covers) are added when the game has a back cover. Right click on cover to flip to its reverse and left click on cover to enlarge it.

oops, never mind I didn't see the picture below that. The program itself isn't programmed to do it so I must be todo with windows user account controls. Its a bug ive not seen yet so could you perhaps explain it in more detail and give instructions how to recreate so I can fix it? Thanks

Woah, thanks for showing up
as for the sheild that is nothing to do with your program, and doesnt happen in your program. It happens in windows game explorer and why it happens I have no idea ( as you say something to do with user accounts, its the same shield you see next to run as an administrator)

ps: I am a big fan of your program its damm cool especiall for people with a pc hooked up to a tv
suggestions :
the database manager:
I tell it to scan d:\games, I have a game d:\games\codemasters\f1 2010\f1 2010.exe
its detected as d:\games\codemasters and i cant delete the entry I cant edit it either. I can only seem to delete games that are detected properly. so a manual edit is needed.

resolutions:
more are needed 1680x1050 or anything above is not available

thanks keep up the good work

suggestions :
the database manager:
I tell it to scan d:\games, I have a game d:\games\codemasters\f1 2010\f1 2010.exe
its detected as d:\games\codemasters and i cant delete the entry I cant edit it either. I can only seem to delete games that are detected properly. so a manual edit is needed.

Database Manager is being rewritten and will have a full manual edit section and improved scanning so that should fix those problems

resolutions:
more are needed 1680x1050 or anything above is not available

It should do resolutions with the standard widescreen ratio but the graphics engine currently based on DX6-7 so maybe Dx6-7 isn't compatible with those high resolutions. V4 will have a complete rewrite in a newer graphics engine called irrlitcht so that should easily solve that problem too.

thanks for that I cant wait for V4
when v3 works it does so beautifully, everything is set up for you automatically. And being in the middle of trying to add all my games to windows 7 game explorer that is a godsend.

ps: I run at 5292x1050

windows game explorer (not finished)

Screens ? I've only the one!

only joking ;)
It is indeed 1680*1050*3 you forgot to add in the bezel compensation.
I know you dont really need this but incase someone does

Holy smoke thats a lot of games, and I thought my collection was huge :D

Behold the Majesty of the "Most Holy 1.5 Terabytes of Gaming Goodness™"

It's nice to find someone else who follows the teachings of the P.C Gaming Gods....
It aint finished yet, about 100 more games to add

ps: you should publicide your program by making a post in the pc games section..

I tend to get kicked out of forum boards when I spam post my program :D
Also you'll be glad to know that the new database manager will auto import from game explorer :)

Agree with Davros, very nice little program you wrote Bobreece!

I will give it a go once V4 is available. BTW how it does with Steam games? Does automatic search pick them up properly?
I have around 300 titles in Steam folder as I started following teaching of Gaming Gods few years back inspired by Davros then Sacred 1TB of Gaming Goodness!

Back