Crysis 3

Good to see that Crysis 3 is Gaming Evolved title as well as TWIMTP.

A quote from a AMD rep in OCN :
Everyone must also keep in mind that Crytek decided to join AMD Gaming Evolved relatively late in the Crysis 3 development process. We've had developers on-site with Crytek around the clock since that point, and we're working together to squeeze every last drop out of Radeon architectures on this title. For example, GCN is one of the reasons Crytek made the switch. It's important to us and them that everything is hunky dory but, compared to other titles at this point in their development cycle, we've all had less time to do that work. So we're doing a little catchup this week and next, applying that spit polish, and making damn sure everything is smooth for launch.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1354904/official-catalyst-13-2-beta-thread/80_20#post_19170865

Well at least AMD didn't get involved till after release which is what invariably happens with Nvidia money-rolled titles.

It's called Chromatic Abberation. Another optical defect-turned-effect, but this one is too much and shows bad design taste in aiming for more "realism".
One of those cheap tricks to muddy the image and make it appear more realistic. Star Wars 1313 presents this as well.

One of those cheap tricks to muddy the image and make it appear more realistic.
If people are talking about it, certainly. The thing with chromatic aberration is that, if you can see it, you're doing it wrong. Real chromatic aberration is nearly invisible, and is only noticeable through very close inspection, something that certainly isn't possible in gameplay.

Crytek is simply going too postal on the "cinematic" makeover for the game. Carmack rightfully said in one of his keynotes, that designers should approach this aspect with more common sense and he would rather prefer no post-effects at all. What is (sometimes) normal for the traditional motion picture productions doesn't mean it should be automatically applicable for interactive media. A good example is Valve with its very "sterile" and selective design approach to post-processing, yet producing very unique and memorable visuals in their titles. Michael Bay, Abrams and Lucas styles of persistent visual overdrive should have no place in directing the game designs. Let the games be games, not dumbed down interactive movies.

Some companies seem to forget that eyeballs aren't camera lenses or CMOS sensors. Or yeah they forget they aren't making movies (or they want to pretend they are).

I don't mind some visual pizzazz. Makes me know I wasn't an idiot for ploughing all that money into two high-powered video cards.

It's a DX11 only game, And believe me THIS is the first to do this, It won't be too long till other games do this too.

OK i tested the Beta and it's better optimized than Alpha, But MP sucks, Who am i kidding, Who plays Crysis for MP.

Also i hope they have indirect shadows in the final game.

Alright ! So Crytek says the game runs fine on my puny ps3 but my comparatively behemoth computer is too weak to handle it ?
Stupid ! :rolleyes:

Some companies seem to forget that eyeballs aren't camera lenses or CMOS sensors. Or yeah they forget they aren't making movies (or they want to pretend they are).

I watched a short cryengine tour video...and the dev explicitely stated that they go for the visor look and not the eyeball look, as it is more cinematic and people like it more. It was intentionally. And I agree to some extend, as you are wearing the nano suit with a visor. E.g. You also see the hud due to the suit, you also see how vision changes when using maximum armor functionality. I would say, that Crysis is one series, where those effects make sense.

Compare this to say BF3, where you run around as standard soldier and get all these effects+even *dirt* on your eyeball...it may be a bit to much and weird for the player, I agree.

Alright ! So Crytek says the game runs fine on my puny ps3 but my comparatively behemoth computer is too weak to handle it ?
Stupid ! :rolleyes:

Ok i feel for those guys who don't have DX11 cards but seriously, If you compare Crysis 3 on PC to Consoles it looks like a solid generation difference (Launch title)

Yes, looks phantastic!

It doesn't even look like in game graphics anymore it looks so good. I will be super impressed if there are computers out there that can run the game looking like that at playable frame rates at 2560 x 1660 everything maxed out.

Here is two gameplay vids from the Swamp level [very large, and vertical]. First one is played [poorly] on IGN stream, and second one is played by none other than masterful Nanosuit Ninja!

That is rather short and no I won't pay $60 for it. Unless it's an amazing sandbox that I can play over and over, unlike Crysis 2.

I still hope it is not true! Crysis 2 had a really meaty SP, which was really an outstanding feature nowadays.

With no interest in MP, I still hope that this early review is rushed and not accurate!

Back