Crytek Presents: CRYSIS 3 [PS3, 360]

AFAIK they were all demoed on a single 680gtx and that's the reason why I think despite running on the same hardware, C2 wasn't nearly as impressive as the rest. Also using Gears3 vs UE3's initial demo, it's probably not that farfetched to say the actual games using UE4 or Agni would look mostly the same as the engine demo, maybe even better throughout the life time. We're not talking about Nvidia New Dawn demo which it takes sli 670gtx to reach 30fps+, UE4 and Agni are actually quite representative to the upcoming nextgen games according to the devs themselves.

But I think you really cannot compare those two. C3 is an actual game, showing actual gameplay of a game shipping in near future. The gameplay sequence showed a rather big area with lots of paths and ways of playing through the section and interaction, whereas the demos are just demos, nothing more.

Furthermore, C3 is a multiplatform release, as pointed out by L.Scofield, console definitively hold back the whole graphic fidelity...

I would be happy, if next gen graphics have anything to do with C3 on ultra settings at 1080p60Hz with proper AA :cool:

BF3 has baked GI which accommodates for destructibility too and it is the same on the consoles. What Frostbite 2 does is a combo of realtime calculation on prebaked GI. Their solution is better cos it works on present hardware easily, unlike Crytek which advertised it everywhere only to remove it from the console versions.

I guess, Crytek was expecting the next-gen too soon.
You see this is what I don't understand if it's baked GI BUT can accommodate to changing light conditions (due to destruction or flashing/changing lights) then what's the advantage of going realtime in the first place? The only advantage real time GI has over baked is that it's not static and it doesn't takes time to generate unlike baked GI ala Uncharted or lightmass in UE3 (Where it's so easily obvious that it's baked whenever something changes).

Realtime GI is the holy grail of lighting !Being a CG lighting artist for 10 years, I have been dreaming of it ever since Stalker tried it in Shadow of Chernobyl :D . In Crysis 2 on PC, if I pick up objects throw, them around, the GI works on the fly on every frame. A car explodes and the light around it changes. Jave been tweaking settings for the GI , increasing and decreasing it, checking colour bleeds and messing around in it.
Static solutions are static solutions, GI is calculated once and baked into light maps. Its like running around in a photograph.Dynamic objects are anyways removed from these calculations as they know player might move these around.
BF3 GI doesn't do much , except for accomodating destruction. And since the destruction is canned, it simply means they have different set of light maps for broken and vanilla objects, thats all. And it doesn't accomodate for flashing or moving lights in any case. As for Spherical Harmonics, KZ also uses it for characters. But , as close as they may come in creating an illusion of real light, nothing can beat a light calculated every frame :) !

Anyways, I wasn't making a case for realtime GI. Crytek has it implemented, we just have to wait for new hardware, I guess.

The problems with CryEngine 3's realtime GI implementation are that it is calculated only for the sunlight, it's very low frequency and there's no secondary occlusion support (it was shown in one of their tech videos but it's not part of the game nor are the glossy reflections AFAIK). Thankfully the HDR lightprobes pickup the slack. Just place one in the environment, press a button and you get instant image-based lighting :D

According to the producer, they can't do anything more with these consoles. :LOL:

I hope it means this time they have learned to use the whole ram for the graphic in the ps3 version.... Because a single pool not sound exactly like a maximization to me imho....

I wouldn't expect the current gen console version to look much different than Crysis 2...considering the huge framerate problems it had, any optimization would seemingly go there first.

Now if you're referring to next gen version...

Something about the environment looked too blurry compared to the bullshots they have released, maybe too much fog or strong LOD? But the toad, the toad looked insanely real.

Its still single bounce thats for sure. I didn't get the 3rd gen comment either. Crysis2 and now Crysis 3, they can call it 2nd gen if they want ;) !

Dunno but, Crysis 3 worst looking game of the gen already confirmed. Crysis 2 all over again.

Is that supposed to be Xbox version?

Thats a joke, right? I mean, you can't possibly determine visuals by screencaps from low res video. :)
I dunno...Its played with controller.

Thats a joke, right? I mean, you can't possibly determine visuals by screencaps from low res video. :)
I dunno...Its played with controller.

Yeh, a joke. Partly from people doing that about Crysis 2.

That SuperDae twerp has been making noises on his twitter about having Crysis 3, maybe it really is out there though. Or like, a level of it more likely.

Back