Lost Planet 3

Wow that did look cool. I'm liking the new giant mechs as well. Unless they were already present in 2, I haven't played it yet.

Couldn't be worse than Lost Planet 2. Maybe with a decent budget Spark can finally pull something off. Based on the screens, are they still using UE3?

Still UE3.

As for pulling something decent off? We can live in hope, but my guess is that they don't have it in them.

UE3 ? i thought 1 et 2 were using the MT framework
1 and 2 were MT Framework, but they were internal projects. All of Capcom's third party studios have gone with alternatives, including Blue Castle, who built a custom engine for Dead Rising 2 if I'm not mistaken. Spark likely chose UE3 for the familiarity, given that their previous games were built on it.

Let's hope they don't repeat the story-less and shallow sequence of mini-missions that they turned the second game into.
"Oh, it's a multiplayer game now!" - meaning: "We just found a great excuse so we can totally sh1t on characters, story, narrative, or even something that makes sense at all.

Let's hope they don't repeat the story-less and shallow sequence of mini-missions that they turned the second game into.
"Oh, it's a multiplayer game now!" - meaning: "We just found a great excuse so we can totally sh1t on characters, story, narrative, or even something that makes sense at all.

Yeah it's the reason I so loathed LP2 after a much more interesting narrative in LP1. I always wanted Wayne to come back for consistency sake.

To be fair I didn't think LP1 had much of a story either, it was more of an arcade action game for me while having a few beers. I'm hoping LP2 will be more of the same when I eventually get to play it.

I thought LP2 was pretty great. Whilst there were no protagonists per se, there was a story, but one which revolved around the various factions and the events taking place on the planet itself.

I enjoyed the SP campaign portion of the game immensely. I thought it was fantastic, and felt it didn't really need to start trying to bring in more emotional elements of character development into it, since the game was merely about various military elements doning powered-armoured suits to fight Akrid and FSU. It was just pure unadulterated fun, and the character progression system was awesome.

I played and completed that game about 12 times in succession. It was one helluva an additive game.

I just think the game got unfairly lambasted for not having any protagonists. But in the end i felt it was better as both a SP and co-op experience than either ofthe first two Gears of War games for example (haven't played 3). Protagonists simply weren't needed in LP2 and i'd rather have what they did than the poorly executed, poor developed characters in LP1 or any of the Gears games. Capcom simply played to their strengths.

On the the other hand though, i'm not keen of what i've seen so far. Neither do i have any faith in the dev at all.

Fun is more important than characters ! If the game is fun, I don't care if it doesn't have a story. Taking down giant bosses with friends is fun !

Played the game, interviewed the producer and wrote about it:

http://eat-games.tumblr.com/post/24135943175/interview-andrew-szymanski-producer-lost-planet-3

The start of the Lost Planet 3 E3 demo follows blue-collar worker, Jim, sloshing through his daily routine. He wakes up melancholy, records a video for his lovely wife & daughter back on Earth wondering what the hell he’s doing, and then bolts out the door to mine for thermal energy. I like Jim. He’s the kind of guy you’d invite over to your place for a few beers just to hear him his talk about all his wacky adventures on an alien planet.

But will the Lost Planet 3 gameplay draw us in too? After all this isn’t going to be an experience like previous games in the series. It’s not being built from the ground up around cooperative play, oh no, that wasn’t even mentioned. This one has a 3rd-person perspective that is slightly tighter to heightening the tension and bringing you closer to the action. You now drive a Vital Suit (VS) completely from a 1st-person perspective, and if not careful, might seize up if you get caught in an Ice Storm.

It also appears Lost Planet 3 is going for more dramatic intensity in it’s narrative and gameplay. There was one segment I played were the atmosphere was obviously well steeped in the Dead Space gravy (more about that in the interview below), and to be honest it worked rather well with the frigid, creepy environments. In fact I enjoyed it more than the outdoor action in the VS. I have hopes LP3 will be good, but they need to work out some of the tedious things like the repetitive QTE.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to remain hopeful about this as i always feel that devs should be given the chane to prove themselves, despite their past failures.

On the other hand however i'm just not a fan of the more western designed mecha they've got in the game. Not that the new VS' are western designed, rather that the actual design of the new mecha is pretty crap.

If they looked more like the mechs from Hawken for example, then that would be great. LP1 & 2 had awesome mech designs (particularly LP2). And amazing mech variety too. I'm not convinced with this game so far.

Back