Samsung Galaxy S series rumours.....

Oh I know that that's the main point behind flexible OLEDs. At least initially. I just said that as I thought that french toast was implying that we would see a Note 3 that could actually flex.
Sorry, I should have directed my reply to him instead of you, or at least began my post with "Yeah,".

I'm thinking that instead of using Gorilla Glass (which also shatters) they may use CR-39 plastic with a scratch resistant coating, similar to what's used with eye glasses. With glass substrates, there wasn't any point in using anything other than GG because the substrate could shatter behind a plastic cover. With this, I wouldn't mind using a phone with a little less scratch resistance and just use replaceable screen protectors.

Sorry, I should have directed my reply to him instead of you, or at least began my post with "Yeah,".

I'm thinking that instead of using Gorilla Glass (which also shatters) they may use CR-39 plastic with a scratch resistant coating, similar to what's used with eye glasses. With glass substrates, there wasn't any point in using anything other than GG because the substrate could shatter behind a plastic cover. With this, I wouldn't mind using a phone with a little less scratch resistance and just use replaceable screen protectors.

Technical issues aside, what about finger feel, I think Gorilla Glass would feel better under finger than a plastic alternative, IMO.

The phone is not going to actually flex like a piece of rubber. It just takes impacts better. If it falls and some part of the screen undergoes a deformation of 0.2%, it won't shatter like normal glass would.
However, the Gorilla Glass will, and unless they provide cheap replacement parts, the phone'll be as good as dead whether using glass or plastic substrates. As someone who's gotten scratches on a Gorilla Glass screen from no known source beyond a plastic stylus (Galaxy Note 10.1), I'm now a fervent believer in screen protectors and not dropping things. ;)

I'll go so far to say I'd applaud the mobile manufacturer who included sacrificial screen protection by design, including a faultless method to add and replace (official, overpriced) screen protectors with the expectation that they can be recycled every few months as needed.

I'll go so far to say I'd applaud the mobile manufacturer who included sacrificial screen protection by design, including a faultless method to add and replace (official, overpriced) screen protectors with the expectation that they can be recycled every few months as needed.

Sony did that with the old Tablet S, and some people complained that it didn't have Gorilla Glass in its specs. Actual users like me were fond of the decision, though.

I don't know if they did the same to the Xperia Tablet S, but it's definitely not in the Xperia Tablet Z since it's water proof.

Sony did that with the old Tablet S, and some people complained that it didn't have Gorilla Glass in its specs. Actual users like me were fond of the decision, though.

I don't know if they did the same to the Xperia Tablet S, but it's definitely not in the Xperia Tablet Z since it's water proof.

Xperia Z has pre applied screen protector and it's waterproof so maybe xperia tablet Z has it too.

My Samsung Omnia 7 is still without any scratches after more than 2 years. I guess I must have been pretty careful with it.

My ASUS tablet has zero scratches. My Note was a shocker, as it has significant scratches including one causing a visible rainbow line, yet I am impeccable in handling my gear. The Note fits in a neoprene sleeve inside the padded bag I carry it in. Most importantly though, reflected in the light are many micro scratches which I can only put down to the plastic eraser on the official two-ended stylus I bought. I don't know if Gorilla Glass sometimes has bad batches or something, but there's no way the screen should be as affected as it is if the advertising is to be believed, and considering I have another GG tablet used in exactly the same circumstances for a year prior to getting the Note, I have a reasonable control. the only difference is the official pen with a plastic back, which shouldn't be cutting up the screen but evidently is (it ripped massive scratches in the screen protector, and another Note user commented on a forum that his stylus scratched his screen when the rubber end of the tip broke).

Ultimately though, these are $xxx devices, with gorgeous screens, and there's little reason not to add a cheap layer of protection. I also prefer the matte screen I used. Takes a bit of getting used to write on, but in the end it feels a lot more like paper than writing on the glass. It also completely hides the rainbow scratch in the screen.

been using 2 samsung galaxy line. the 1st one got its fake-chrome peeling off. The body are full of scratches. The screen protected by plastic.

the other galaxy i choose white. The body full of scratches but hidden well by color white. screen protected by plastic.

the phone that does not scratch easily are my sony or sony ericsson phones. The most durable are my old Sony ericsson m600i. only scratch when i hit it with metal ruller.

the phone that does not scratch easily are my sony or sony ericsson phones. The most durable are my old Sony ericsson m600i. only scratch when i hit it with metal ruller.
I still have my m600i :) although the battery died on me recently :(
My first smartphone, still the best qwerty device in my opinion with great build quality. It withstood very harsh use(kind of use that rugged devices are made for) and still looks great. Best example of what you can do with good quality plastic :)

End of OT :)

Display mate has done an analysis of the galaxy s4.
http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

I flagged up the 'professional RGB' in the display settings of the galaxy s4 early on, actually it was the movie mode which turned out to be the most accurate.

All in all the article points to drawing a tie with the iPhone5. .retina being a bit more accurate, brighter and better power consumption.
Whilst the amoled produces better blacks, better white point as well as obvious bigger higher resolution display.

The article also points to the amoled having up to 68% better brightness than the gs3 (auto mode) and also slightly less reflection than the iPhone5 as well as 20% better power consumption compared to gs3 (equalised for size).

The success of this amoled really is how samsung has managed to calibrate the display to rival the best ips panel out there.

The article also points to the amoled having up to 68% better brightness than the gs3 (auto mode) and also slightly less reflection than the iPhone5 as well as 20% better power consumption compared to gs3 (equalised for size).
As a sidenote: This has been the case with the S3 and Note 2 too: autobrightness allows higher max brightness than if you set it manually. I don't think any reviewer on the planet considered that into their measurements until now. DisplayMate seem to be the first ones to actually discover this.
The success of this amoled really is how samsung has managed to calibrate the display to rival the best ips panel out there.
That's no success, it's just a "less than complete failure" considering how they configured the mDNIe profiles on the S3 and Note 2.

Still uses more juice over the same area of the display than the IPS in the iPhone 5.

OLED has its advantages but one of those was the prospect that it would be the next great display tech.

While a lot of mobile devices are made with OLED displays, apparently it's a tough slog trying to scale them for big screen TVs.

As a sidenote: This has been the case with the S3 and Note 2 too: autobrightness allows higher max brightness than if you set it manually. I don't think any reviewer on the planet considered that into their measurements until now. DisplayMate seem to be the first ones to actually discover this.
That's no success, it's just a "less than complete failure" considering how they configured the mDNIe profiles on the S3 and Note 2.

Yes this is the first time I have seen that mentioned. .I didnt know that so giving it a go on gs3.

Well its a success if you consider it has been a weakness..at least in media terms.
I know it has been possible before..but im not sure whether power consumption would play a part in older panels when using more of certain colours...I have read something like that in a previous article of some kind.

Do you know whether movie is closer to natural colour on gs3 also?

Some Galaxy S4 (Exynos Octa) Vs HTC One benchmarks: http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatime...axy-s4-benchmarking-the-exynos-octa-processor

The strangest result for Galaxy S4 that I find is Vellamo HTML. Ran it several times. Same result. It seems that the phone switches between A15 and A7 for different tasks during the test, giving it a lower score compared to HTC One.

If you folks need any low level details of the benchmarks for Galaxy S4 (Exynos Octa), I can try and get it.

The international S3 and all Note 2's had the option to change the color settings. The Note 2 fared very well in Movie mode:
http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57540240-85/screens-test-part-2-galaxy-note-2-vs-apple-iphone-5/

They're just doing what sells, and I think having the option for wide gamut is good. Having it stuck that way with the US S3 and earlier phones obviously sucked for those of us who are a bit pickier.

I love the Note 2 screen, and I'm addicted to OLED blacks. Wouldn't even take a 1080p LCD over it, and I doubt I'll ever go back to LCD in a phone.

The international S3 and all Note 2's had the option to change the color settings. The Note 2 fared very well in Movie mode:
http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57540240-85/screens-test-part-2-galaxy-note-2-vs-apple-iphone-5/

They're just doing what sells, and I think having the option for wide gamut is good. Having it stuck that way with the US S3 and earlier phones obviously sucked for those of us who are a bit pickier.

I love the Note 2 screen, and I'm addicted to OLED blacks. Wouldn't even take a 1080p LCD over it, and I doubt I'll ever go back to LCD in a phone.
I calibrated the display on the Note 2, the mDNIe profiles are the same as on the S3, which means they didn't even bother to adjust them. The movie profile might look better, but it's still very bad in absolute terms.

Some Galaxy S4 (Exynos Octa) Vs HTC One benchmarks: http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatime...axy-s4-benchmarking-the-exynos-octa-processor

The strangest result for Galaxy S4 that I find is Vellamo HTML. Ran it several times. Same result. It seems that the phone switches between A15 and A7 for different tasks during the test, giving it a lower score compared to HTC One.

If you folks need any low level details of the benchmarks for Galaxy S4 (Exynos Octa), I can try and get it.

I believe if the web test is not intensive in some parts, yes it will ofc switch on the A7.. i dont remember exactly, the switch is at something like 85% usage on the A7 and it switch then to A15, and if under a certain usage on the A15, it switch back to A7.

Need more bench, but i m a bit surprised, i was think the results will be more " aleatory" due to this configuration of what is shown here.
( still smartphones benchmarks software are allways hard to use. We are far far far of what we can find on the reliability of PC benchmarks softwares, maybe GeekBench is effictively the more reliable )

Last edited by a moderator:
My ASUS tablet has zero scratches. My Note was a shocker, as it has significant scratches including one causing a visible rainbow line, yet I am impeccable in handling my gear. The Note fits in a neoprene sleeve inside the padded bag I carry it in. Most importantly though, reflected in the light are many micro scratches which I can only put down to the plastic eraser on the official two-ended stylus I bought. I don't know if Gorilla Glass sometimes has bad batches or something, but there's no way the screen should be as affected as it is if the advertising is to be believed, and considering I have another GG tablet used in exactly the same circumstances for a year prior to getting the Note, I have a reasonable control. the only difference is the official pen with a plastic back, which shouldn't be cutting up the screen but evidently is (it ripped massive scratches in the screen protector, and another Note user commented on a forum that his stylus scratched his screen when the rubber end of the tip broke).

Ultimately though, these are $xxx devices, with gorgeous screens, and there's little reason not to add a cheap layer of protection. I also prefer the matte screen I used. Takes a bit of getting used to write on, but in the end it feels a lot more like paper than writing on the glass. It also completely hides the rainbow scratch in the screen.

Do you have the note 1 or note 2 ?

Back