Samsung Galaxy S series rumours.....

Oh gawd, I hadn't seen this much amount of BS and snake-oil in a keynote for so long.. It was even worse than some of the worse apple keynotes!

And the amount of "I'll try to say something deep now but it'll be so over-the-top it'll sound ridiculous instead" quotes was downright shattering, as if each quote sent an arrow from the fiery depths of the earth, right into my knee.
(see what I did there?)

I feel bad for watching this live.. never again.
Well, at least they didn't start with the "magic" statements. That would force my brain to explode.

I hope Samsung will launch Note 2 with Exynos 5250, as the SGS3 has been somewhat of a letdown. No f2.0 aperture camera like in the HOX, no Mali t604, no RGB panel, no thins bezels (not as thin as hoped at least) and no 1.5GiB+ of RAM. At least it has got a big replaceable battery, good internal storage (64 GB versions being launched) with µSD slot. What remains to be seen is its audio performance. Will it surpass the Wolfson WM8994 in the original Galaxy S, or will it be as poor as the SGS2?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running home to watch it live too.

Here's hoping that i9300 is "only" a mid-high end version, with the also-rumoured i9800 being the real Samsung GS III with a Snapdragon S4 Pro or at least an Exynos with a GPU more powerful than the Mali 400MP4. And a camera that rivals my N8's.
And Micro-SDXC support. 256GB in my smartphone? Now THAT would be life-changing.

There are 256 GB SDXC cards being launched soon: http://www.lexar.com/about/newsroom...oduces-industry-first-256gb-compactflash-card
It seems like µSDXC capacity is stuck at 64 GB for the moment, however.

Agree with all the above, and anyway, whoever believed the 1080p rumours is just naive.

Second of all, the screen will most probably be this one:

Code:
#ifdef CONFIG_FB_S5P_S6E8AA0
/* for Geminus based on MIPI-DSI interface */
static struct s3cfb_lcd s6e8aa0 = {
	.name = "s6e8aa0",
	.width = 720,
	.height = 1280,
	.p_width = 60,		/* 59.76 mm */
	.p_height = 106,	/* 106.24 mm */
	.bpp = 24,
4.8" 720p screen. Taken from mach-midas.c from the latest kernel source drop from Samsung.
Called the 4.8" screen... sadly :( . I mean it's lower DPI than the one on the Galaxy Nexus. Unless they did something marvellous on the manufacturing part to improve the colours, big disappointment.

Well, the whole process sucked quite a bit.

The profoundness of the design philosophy was sickening. no no... just no...

Im a graphic designer, Sometimes I have to talk a bit bull shit to talk up design decisions I have made.... But never, would I ever get to this level of bat shit talk.

The phone design (shape) looks like many of the lower end devices !!. The nexus and one x are nicer looking phones.

lol. I feel stupid for being excited by this phone... *goes to find a happy place*... and a One X....

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-performance-preview

Performance benchmarks are in. Looks like a very efficient browser and the Mali-400MP4 has been aggressively up-clocked resulting in performance beating the iPhone 4S SGX543MP2.

Wow, scratch that 50% clock increase, that GPU is at least clocked 70% higher than the one in Exynos 4210.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's clocked at ~500MHz.

It's also a bit "strange" how the quad Cortex A9 @ 1.4GHz consistently beats the dual-core Krait in everything but the Vellamo benchmark (where it trails by some 12%) and seems to perform a lot better than Tegra 3.
I guess the memory bandwidth is taking a large part in this advantage, and the 32nm process could be allowing for more aggressive clock speed <-> power consumption ratios.

EDIT: more benchmarks.
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_unpacked_2012-review-756p4.php

I mean it's lower DPI than the one on the Galaxy Nexus.
Of all the things to complain about, DPI isn't one of them. I do somewhat agree with your assessment of the shape.

*goes to find a happy place*... and a One X....
The One X is really nice, but I'll never buy another phone with an LCD. I'm hooked on the contrast and true blacks of AMOLED. It's something we've never seen in our life on any other display (the Kuro and today's best plasmas come close, though), and I guess I've fallen prey to the adage, "once you go black, you never go back" :mrgreen:

Wow, scratch that 50% clock increase, that GPU is at least clocked 70% higher than the one in Exynos 4210.

50% increase was "scratched" a month ago following a post in the exynos thread here:-

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1634670&postcount=316

The increase in performance in egypt off screen from 62 to 103 from S2->S3 exactly aligns with the GPU increase from 267Mhz in the S2 to 440Mhz in the S3, a 65% increase. benchmark shows 66% increase.

The increase in performance in egypt off screen from 62 to 103 from S2->S3 exactly aligns with the GPU increase from 267Mhz in the S2 to 440Mhz in the S3, a 65% increase. benchmark shows 66% increase.

You're assuming there's absolutely no more bottlenecks in offscreen Egypt than GPU performance, so that the FPS would increase linearly with the GPU clocks?

IMHO,

the SIII shows, that 4.8" with a 16:9 screen is already rather wide and could be unwieldy to hold.

So does this mean that the "battle" for larger screens is already over?

Or could a different aspect ratio help? For example a 5" screen with 2:1 aspect ratio and 1440 x 720 resolution with 320dpi

Of all the things to complain about, DPI isn't one of them. I do somewhat agree with your assessment of the shape.

The One X is really nice, but I'll never buy another phone with an LCD. I'm hooked on the contrast and true blacks of AMOLED. It's something we've never seen in our life on any other display (the Kuro and today's best plasmas come close, though), and I guess I've fallen prey to the adage, "once you go black, you never go back" :mrgreen:

DPI is important because they went with Pentile, if they wanted to compete with the qualitiy of the Xperia S or One X, they needed either higher DPI or RGB stripe, but as it is now, it's just as a Galaxy Nexus, where the Pentile is visible.

weird, Siii have IR.
anyone know does its the normal old slow IR or the new IR from Sony in Japan that very fast? (cant remember the name)
also how far is the range?

if its normal old IR and have a few meter range, it will be brilliant. Just like those old symbian phone, happily used as universal remote :D

french toast... pm your paypal details to me and Ill pay you your £3 quid haha!!

Ha lets just say you owe me a friendly bet!!.. (note 2 specs :p??)

Well im pissed off, i typed out a 1000 word review on here yesterday as i havn't been on here for a while, and mid way through writing it, it must have timed out and logged me out automatically, so when i pressed 'send' it instead led me to the login page and i lost the lot!! grrr:devilish:

Anyway, a rather shorter summary of what i think of the GS3;

Dissapointed at first, but the design grew on me, contrary to early FUD it is made out of high end polycarbonate with a 'hyperglaze' coating (gimmick) is very thin, and has included a large battery (removable) and even a microSD card slot.

Sound has been improved with a wolfson DAC instead of that Yamaha one used in the Exynos 4210, (substandard) and they have included the same high end audio processing used in Samsung PMPs (very good)

The first dissapointment with the screen about pentile quickly subsided when i realised it was impossible for RGB at 300ppi + resolutions, they also improved the picture processing DNIe to allow more natural colour tones, chopped out the luminence grain from the Nexus screen to make artifacting less pronounced, that along with the high ppi, and larger screen enabling you to hold the thing further away means pentile is no longer a problem.

There is also benefits from pentiles that no one ever mentions, batterylife, brightness, longevity and outdoor visibility- all better with pentile over RGB- with the expense of very close up image quality...not bad really.

Software has been improved immensly, and is now the most stable, intuiative and snappy UI overlay there is, web browser has been improved further leaving the ONEX in the dust, the camera whilst originally a dissapointment, is actually an improvement and some sites mention that its actually better than the ONE X (phone arena) but suffers slightly with low light performance thanks to its f2.6 instead of f2.0.

Video quality is the best on a smartphone (not by much) with fast auto focus,rare touch to focus, image stabilzation, high bit rate codec all running at a constant 30fps...image quality is also stunning with video and it also supports stereo sound ala Nokia rich recording as well.

The media player supports all codecs so will play anything flawlessly, the music player has been upgraded as well.

NFC, DLNA, Wifi direct, bluetooth 4, wifi bonding, MHL out, Glonass support, optional wireless charging kit, etc etc

Performance of that thing blows everything else into the weeds, seriously gpu is faster than an ipad 2!! (which ironically can play games better than the new ipad thanks to resolution) making the GS3 the most powerfull device for its screen resolution = very impressive indeed...it crunches through web pages like no tomorrow thanks to that quad core, which has been optimised to Krait levels for efficiency. this plays out in the battery life which is amongst the very best for a smartphone, 5.5 hours for web browsing over wifi for a 720p 4.8inch amoled is extremely good, as is over 10 hours of movie watching, the storage is also ridiculous at up to 128gb-not to forget 50gb dropbox!!.

-The only real downside i can see with the specs so far is lack of 2gb ram, side shooting stereo speakers, 4g (didn't samsung carp on about how they would have their own LTE baseband and wouldn't be relying on Qualcomm??) f2.0 camera, er and thats about it!!

PS i forgot to mention that it also includes a C pen stylus (edit NON wacom digitilizer) pen, along with screen captures, S note and S memo apps so it can be used as a mini Note!! awesome!!.

Im currently looking to get one of these bad boys on contract with 3, who are offering it free with loads of txts and minutes and unlimited data..for just £34 a month...very good!.

EDIT; I have got one on order for wednesday morning (30th) woop! so ill be able to give a proper hands on review of the thing, free on contract with T-mobile, 100 minutes, unlimited txts and 1.5GB data, £26pm with first month half price..not bad me thinks ;)

EDIT; Hopefully my own experience will match this reviewers, admittedly he/she has gone into overdrive...but i have seen other reviews that are glowing! http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-review-video-89883/

Right, unboxed my Galaxy S3 in pearl white this morning (late) and blasted it till till near shut down.

First impressions, well having had the chance to play with a friends HTC ONE X yesterday, which untill that point was the best device i had ever used, this Galaxy S3 has exceeded that..just.

I must say i though the HOX was very well built and felt quality, compared to GS3 i would say they are equal, the GS3 is razor thin, i mean thin, this is more pronounced because of the generous size of the thing and also because i already had the lowdown on the internals.

Cracking the back of reveals the very wide and thin battery, and the micro SD slot,the back is made from a thin high quality polycarbonate, it doesn't feel cheap and tacky as i had feared, it snaps on and off with ease without anyfear of snapping, like previous Samsung devices, the whole phone feels razor thin and premium.

The phone didn't seem as massive to me as i was expecting, im not quite sure what i was expecting too be honest, but having researched into this for months as well as the Galaxy Note i was thinking it was going to be massive..it wasn't. In fact its about the perfect size for a multimedia device, bearing in mind i have large hands, and i do struggle to reach the top left side of the phone with one hand only, certainly this is the biggest you would want a phone.

On starting up i was pleased with how fast it booted, seriously it couldn't have been 20 seconds from first pressing the power button..impressive.
The UI is 'airy' and light, they have toned down the touch whizz and clutter, the software runs very fast and smooth, in fact about 30 seconds into using it i completely forgot about processors and graphics/ram all that jargon, its the first time Android became an Apple like experience, no slowdowns, no juttering, no crashes, no nonsense.

The screen is perfect, there is no other word for it, i played with the HOX the day before and was amazed at that screen which was the best i had seen untill this point, this just edges it IMHO, response time was a little bit better, colours were more saturated for the 'wow' factor (there is other colour temp settings which can be set to natural), and Contrast was awesome, it was bright and clear, i opened up the web browser and zoomed in to some txt, bringing my eyes as close as they could get till they ran out of focus, and i could very very slighty see a non perfect lettering, just. thats being harsh because i couldn't really see alot wrong TBH.
There was no 'blue tinge' i heard about with AMOLEDS, sure i bet holding the HOX side by side would show the whites up, but as it is its perfect.

On using that web browser through wifi, i was shocked at how fast that thing operates, seriously it loads up 5 times faster than my Atom netbook at the same resolution, pages scroll perfectly, flash loads up brilliant, just for some reason couldn't get HD flash playing smoothly on youtube, i had messed around with the settings before that on Opera mobile browser, so it could have been that, i tried other Flash sites which loaded high quality flash full screen, as did the on board you tube app, i also tried out BBC iplayer which was faultless.

I was pleased to see i had the best phone and 3g signal i have ever had at my house, usually you have to walk into the garden, i downloaded speed test through the play store and tested performance through my wifi and 3G, amazingly they both pulled the around the same score 4-5mbits 512k upload, which isn't blazing fast by todays best standards, but considering i couldn't even get reception before that im very happy.

Like i said i was not concerned with performance at all when starting up, it did everything i asked it to without a hiccup, multitasking galore no worries, it chewed through everything i threw at it, so i wont bother with benchmarks.
I fired up a few games and they also played perfect.

I had a blast with the camera, again brilliant, loads of options that have been covered at tech sites, quality and speed was awesome, i can't fathom why anyone would want any better, especially if that involved a handset that was twice as thick and much heavier, no chance.

Batterylife; Well this was one thing i was curious about, its so thin and the screen so big,bright and colourfull that you have to have some doubt whether it can last a day, When i put the battery in straight from the box it had about 58% i think, from that point onwards i gave it a heavy workout for the next 3h;50m, and by that i mean wifi or 3G on the whole time, downloading exactly 35 apps!, an hour of spotify(at full volume either through on board speaker or through stereo via 3.5mm jack, 20 minutes of 3d gaming( angry birds space,drag racing,commando), quite a few video clips, you tube, BBC i player etc, messing around with the settings Google earth for about 15 mins and almost constant web browsing, i put the screen brightness to maximum and the DNIe image preset to maximum saturated colours, i had smartstay on constantly and i changed the wall paper to a elaborate 3d one for about half the time.
I also shot 2 1080p video clips and about 20 pictures, so you could say that was not a typical usage scenario.

After all that i plugged in the charger at 4% batterylife...
The battery profile showed 53% screen, so that was sucking the juice at full brightness through web browsing, curiously though the standby section showed 8%? some early reports have picked up an issue with standby time, with GSMARENA saying that it is worse than the GS2, and a user at XDA noted similar..sounds like a simple early fiemware issue to me.

Even so, judging by the fact it was straight out of the box, started from cold with no bed in time for the battery and some vigorous usage, i think the above was fairly impressive.

Niggles; Honestly, there aren't many, one thing that has annoyed me and which was picked up by phonearena is the capacitive buttons on the bottom, they are VERY sensitive, and curiously put right near the edge, so you keep touching them with your palm, it knocked me out of 2 stages of the original set up and quite a few apps, the rear speaker is pretty decent, but really on a high end media device like this you would expect slightly better.

Summary, Assuming the battery life doubles after a full charge and a good week of solid bedding in, with maybe an OTA firmware fix for that pesky standby issue, then really this is the perfect Android device, it replaces your netbook, portable games console, PMP player, notebook, and likely for many people dedicated camera, all in a slick package with no fuss, oh yea did i mention it has a removable back and is only 8.55mm thin??:p

EDIT; Android seems to be a right RAM hog, bringing up the task manager it say curiously that i have only 750mb or so of ram, and almost 400 of that is used up doing very little, still no amount of mulitasking has slowed me down yet.

Really tempted by the S3. I'm a bit of a phone junkie and have still not been swayed by Android (other than some VMs and a couple CM9 HP Touchpads) as I find it clunky compared to OSes like webOS and Maemo/MeeGo. Still I'm leaning toward an S3 or a Note 2 (assuming it comes out soon) for my next gadget. With Duarte and the whole Enyo team at Google now it can't help but get better.

But $800 USD is a bit steep!

Did you get the white because pebble has been delayed or does it look good "in person"?

Yea i got white model, and yes it feels alot more premium than youtube reviews/clips would suggest, the polycarbonate feels nice to touch, the whole premium feel is aided of course by the thiness of the thing, its wafer thin all over, nothing sticks out, no chin no pretruding camera module, just 8.55mm front to back.

Obviously some ceramic unibody that was cold to the touch would have been even more premium, however looking at the thin profile, and combined with a removable battery and microSD slot, not to mention 2100mah battery, im actually pleased they went this route.

The phone is nicely rounded so its very comfortable to hold, case is a finger print magnet though!.

Another remarkable thing is the fact it doesn't really get hot, it never gets higher than mildly luke warm even when hammering games, impressive.

I had a couple of crashes with spotify, but not sure whether GS3 could be blaamed for that, i had another recharge to around 95%, and then gave it another heavy workload for over 6 hours, its got around 15% juice left, so pretty decent if not earth shattering.

If you want something interesting, thats slick to hold, look at and use, that will have the latest app support and be powerfull enough to run them for the next 2 years..then yocan't go wrong with a GS3;)

Back