Samsung Galaxy S series rumours.....

Everybody's going insane calling bullshit on the leak and how fake it is and how underwhelming it is; yet nobody is asking the obvious question: Is this even a Galaxy S3? My answer: no. The Samsung source code is full of "Midas" (Project M?) and S2Plus references, and that is what I think this leak was. The blogosphere and news sites all curious about how it still got a Mali400 instead of a T604 as rumoured, even though Samsung confirmed that themselves back in February. Journalism at its worst.

Maybe, but i dont think so, i think this is the GS3 with a fake outer shell to make it a suprise.
We clocked this phone in testing on GL benchmark a few weeks back with the exact same processor and screen resolution.

This backs up earlier rumours about the fake casing and the Cemaric/alloy unibody it will eventually come with.
That GTi9300 can't be a midrange phone, because of the high end specs, it doesnt look right, and they wouldn't go to that trouble of concealing a Galaxy s2 plus or HD, also having a GS2 hd with a quad core processor when the GS3 launches with a 5250 dual core would confuse the market.

I want to believe this is some kind of hoax, however this looks to be the real deal IMO.:cry:

From the pictures, that seems to be the GTi9300, for which it's been said it's not the Galaxy S3.

Remember, on par with the regular Galaxy S2 they also came out with the Galaxy R with Tegra 2, a GTi9100G GS2 with an OMAP4, the t-mobile version with a Snapdragon S3..
If I'm not mistaken, there are also Galaxy S1 variants with Snapdragons and even OMAP3630..

Looking at that picture, I'd see no reason at all for Samsung to deliver testing devices with fake cases inside steel safes. It's as bland as it could be.

Right, some good news; we have a video of the Galaxy S3 in the flesh!:p
http://blog.gadgethelpline.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-leaks-real-video-pictures/

The bad news is that it confirms our worst fears, that it has a Exynos 4412 clocked at a lowly 1.4ghz, with only 1gb ram and a Mali 400mp4..

It also contains like i said it would a 4.65 720P display, but doesn't confirm whether it is a RGB or a Pentile screen, it also has NFC which you would expect, i have to say the overall speed of the UI doesn't seem to indicate any extra speed than the Galaxy note, which also carries a 1.4ghz clock speed.

The plus point is that with 4 cores and dual channel memory this beast will multitask as good or better than any other phone currently out there.
It carries a large 2000mah battery along with 4 cores to spread the load around and lower voltage, as well as being made on that advanced 32nm gate first HKMG process....2 days battery life is going to be guarenteed.

As for the design of the handset it looks completely ugly as hell, like a big brick, so ugly in fact that it must be a fake generic shell to hide that real casing which i expect to be Ceramic/alloy unibody, and with that battery come in around 8mm thick.

I was kinda hoping that we would see clock speeds hit 1.6ghz and get another 1gb ram, but twas not to be, along with the YOUM bezzle less display:cry:

I expect the build quality of this thing to be awesome, thin as hell best batterylife of anymajor smartphone outside of the Razr maxx, as well as best gaming performance and best multitasking.

Single threaded performance is going to really lag a Snapdragon S4, you can see in the video applications take a second to load, could be early software, likely to be the real deal though.

If that is not a new type of AMOLED with Gorrilla glass 2 and RGB then i wont be spending money on it me thinks, will wait till WP8.:???:

But this is only an old prototype from december, and it is one of the earlier leaked images, to which Samsung responded that it would not resemble the S3. It may have been considerably upgraded since then (which I hope, I would not want a lowly Mali 400 in my next phone; the T604 is certainly prefered as it will blast the competition away for some 6 months possibly). I really hope it will have Exynos 5250, then everything will be set for me.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...r-Mali-400-graphics-processor-onboard_id29305
A further possibility is that device seen in the video is a counterfeit one, made from a fake Samsung in China.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't successive memory generations tend to have higher latencies at the same frequencies? Perhaps the increase in latency going from LPDDR2 to LPDDR3 will offset the decrease in latency going from 4 channels to 2 channels?

Latency stays about the same, improving slightly with successive process shrinks. Why would the latency get worse? I think people are just confused by the latency numbers, that are measured in clock cycles, going up as the clocks go up.

Tegra 3's low single channel memory latency may also more be a consequence of nVidia's better design compared to the presumably stock ARM memory controller in OMAP4 than an inherent disadvantage of 2+ memory channels.

I think so too. Samsung also has much lower latencies than TI or Freescale.

I believe Intel also criticized the memory controllers found in ARM SoCs.

What Intel criticized was the number of in-flight L2 transactions in Cortex-A9 SoCs vs Medfield, as the sole explanation for the much higher Sunspider score. I don't buy this for a minute, I think there are much more blatant explanations that have nothing to do with hardware design. I really don't think Intel's comments on competing hardware can be trusted.

Does the Galaxy brand depend on pushing the specs to generate interest?

Or is the brand strong enough without having the latest and greatest?

french toast better get me your paypal details ready. Looks like youve got 3 quid on the way.

lol. But obviously we will wait till may 3rd. Fat lady sings and all that :)

GS3 Launch event

Im watching it live.... Becuase I am a geek.

Starts in 1 hour. Definitive specs are inbound!!

edit 1 : The facebook live streaming page is down / crashed...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running home to watch it live too.

Here's hoping that i9300 is "only" a mid-high end version, with the also-rumoured i9800 being the real Samsung GS III with a Snapdragon S4 Pro or at least an Exynos with a GPU more powerful than the Mali 400MP4. And a camera that rivals my N8's.
And Micro-SDXC support. 256GB in my smartphone? Now THAT would be life-changing.

Meh... looks like it's exactly the lowest common denominator in the rumours..

8MPx camera, 4.8' screen, SAMOLED (non-RGB?), 2100mAh battery, meh..?
All the artistic movies and siri ripoff aren't making me any more convinced..

Im dissapointed in the look of the design so far. one x looks better possibly !! Ill reserve judgement until its in my hands though!!

Back