Samsung Galaxy S series rumours.....

OK I just photoshopped a note screen onto the leak screen and found the screen is 16:9.

Which is a shame. I wanted the wider screen proportion actually,

Nevermind. Can still hope for a 4.8" 1080p screen though.... that would be quite something. Though I realise it would have to be a pentile matrix display to achieve it.

UPDATE 4: http://phandroid.com/2012/04/19/sam...xy-s-iii-vanity-url-pops-up-on-official-site/

Oh crap looks like I will owe you £2 via paypal. also rules out the 1920 x 1080p screen rumour as this has a previous gen gpu. and older a9 chips.

I am disappointed actually. I guess its not over till its over though. I cant see the point in them putting old gen tech in, when they are just about on the verge of having the next gen tech in place.

Ha, yea its turning into a whirlwind!! :p i dont believe oe one second that is the final design, that looks like the 'rectangle' generic cases that was being mentioned as a cover up, i expect either a fully ceramic unibody or a alloy/ceramic unbody..for pure damn slick ness!!

Yea there is a rumour abour the quad here at the Verge;
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/18/2958717/galaxy-s-ii-successor-s-iii-quad-core/in/2546482

I kinda thought we were getting out hopes up with that one:cry: still when your getting to the stage of complaining that your only getting a quad core phone..then things can't be bad!

About the screen..yea if you read my intro i have a link to where i expained 1080p is impossible tech for anything up to a 5-6inch screen with AMOLED even Pentile matrix as the pixels don't fit in, besides games would struggle and picture quality would not really be much better even if a pentile 1080p screen was available..i still maintain a 720p 4.65inch Super AMOLED Plus screen RGB with some Gorrilla glass 2 would be amazing....for all we know this could be the debut of the YOUM flex AMOLED..that makes a copletelt bezeless display..awesome either way.

That screen, with Exynos 4412, dual channel memory LPDDR2 1066, Mali 400 mp @440 mhz (jump from 266) 1-2gb ram, encased in a ceramic unibody.....nothing to complain about really:D

Edit; We picked up a Samsung GT i9300 on GL benchmark a few weeks back, someone went into the source drivers and found the clock speed was cracking 440mhz..
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=58537&page=12 half way down.

It was obviously testing, so they have taken it down now,but the Egypt off screen was 92FPS!!...for reference HTC one X gets 64.9fps and iphone 4S 72.7fps
http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp

92/64.9*100= 42% faster than Tegra 3...not to mention dual channel memory.
92/72.7*100= 26% faster than A5 4S ...not to mention the quad core A9's and likely more ram!..

Last edited by a moderator:
Right thats it then

Im going to go with the quad core a15 !!

Fixed.

Heard it here first folks. :)

edit: Ill increase the wager by a pound... I bet £3 that it will be a quadcore a15 chip !!

That "bulk" sample seems to have both a LED and Xenon flash, cool.

I can't stop thinking that if this Galaxy S III really does have:
- 4.65" 720p RGB AMOLED
- Exynos 4412
- 1GB dual-channel LPDDR2 1066MHz
- NFC, LTE

Then it's nothing more than what was expected, rumoured and "leaked" many times, and all the secrecy around the model wouldn't really be justifiable..

I think (and hope?) that if Samsung is investing so much in the secrecy for their new flagship, then there should be something that hasn't come up often in the rumours..

It could be a foldable screen/body, stereo 3D screen, a giant 3000mAh battery, an Exynos 5xxx with Cortex A15 and new-gen Mali, a N8-like camera sensor (the xenon flash got me thinking), IP67 compliance (water and dust-proof) or something entirely different.
I make no bets on what it'll be, but I think it won't be something as predictable as the specs I mentioned above.

I do wonder whether the picture used for the event invitation is in any way related to the device design.

Right thats it then

Im going to go with the quad core a15 !!

Fixed.

Heard it here first folks. :smile:

edit: Ill increase the wager by a pound... I bet £3 that it will be a quadcore a15 chip !!
Ha so you have jumped up to the Exynos 5450!?? crazy talk ;) if that turns out to be true i would be happy to hand over £3..as it is i will be able to buy a nice ice cool Guiness with that!

ToTTenTranz; Yea i agree they have gone super paranoia about this..or in the words of late steve Jobs.. 'thermo-nuclear'
I expect the coverage of the device in a phony shell to be linked to the actual asthetics of it rather than the innards..after all how would the shell affect you trying to find out whats inside? its not like a christmas present..carriers/testers are not likely to crack it open and hire ifixit to give an early tear down are they? :)

I fully expect a Exynos 4412..with 1-2gb ram..Mali400@ 440mhz...+ the comparitively light skinning Samsung uses to enable the fastest Android smartphone SOC of this generation..to ship in volume.

YOUM has been verified by Sammy as being released in a product in some form this year..it IS coming. where better than to use it in a Galaxy S3 flagship? it could be where the screen goes over the edge of the screen to enable bezzless display..incredible.

Anything more extravagant than that i for a first attemp is doubtfull..samsung are known for being very conservative with their designs, not wanting to rock the boat, i think think we will see either fully Ceramic casing..in the colours from that invite, or a combinations of Ceramic and metal in a unibody casing.
images

I would be over the moon for that i really would...an outside bet would be that Exynos 5250..but i doubt they would be able to manufacture that in any volume would they??

I highly doubt the specs will be anywhere near as what you guys are talking about especially with the A15 processor.

Fact:
- If this Galaxy S III does come with a quad Cortex A9 Exynos 4412, it won't be the fastest SoC of this generation, unless it clocks up to something like 2GHz to counter Krait's higher IPC in Snapdragon S4.

BTW, is LPDDR3 a possibility? In a dual-channel configuration, it'd give them the same bandwidth as A5X but for the whole system (not just GPU).

Fact:
- If this Galaxy S III does come with a quad Cortex A9 Exynos 4412, it won't be the fastest SoC of this generation, unless it clocks up to something like 2GHz to counter Krait's higher IPC in Snapdragon S4.

BTW, is LPDDR3 a possibility? In a dual-channel configuration, it'd give them the same bandwidth as A5X but for the whole system (not just GPU).

I don't think the controller supports LPDDR3 on Exynos 4 series..it does on 5 series, besides i still think its early for that is it?

Wrong, overall the 4412 will likey destroy S4, both in graphics and cpu, not on everything of course, vellamo will still likely be a snapdragon winner, as will Linpack...everything else will be dominated by Exynos.

Dont forget Exynos will have some 50% better graphics..
Exynos will likely be clocked higher than Tegra 3, it will also have dual channel memory, maybe better nand performance as well (samsung does make that)

EDIT; How do you work out bandwidth? can't find the calculation on the net.
would like to find out the bandwidth of LPDDR2 1066 x2
I thought A5X did allow all bandwidth for system, just the GPU had priority?

EDIT; How do you work out bandwidth? can't find the calculation on the net.
would like to find out the bandwidth of LPDDR2 1066 x2
I thought A5X did allow all bandwidth for system, just the GPU had priority?

Max theoretical bandwidth in MB/s is:

DR x ChW x nCh x (1/8)

DR - Data Rate, which, in the case of DDR (double data rate) memory it's 2 x clockspeed (MHz), so it's usually measured in "Mega-Transfers per second" (MT/s). For example, LPDDR2 1066 does 1066MT/s, although it runs at 533MHz.

ChW - Channel Width. For x86 solutions, it's usually 64 bit. For ARM SoCs it's usually 32bit.

nCh - Number of Channels. For example, dual-channel in OMAP4, single-channel in Tegra 2 and Tegra 3.

(1/8) - To turn bit into byte. 1 byte = 8 bit

For a dual channel LPDDR2 1066 ARM SoC implementation we have:
1066MT/s x 32 x 2 x (1/8) = 8528MB/s

The A5X has four 32bit channels at 800MT/s, so it's:
800 x 32 x 4 x (1/8) = 12800MB/s

But it's speculated that only the 543MP4 GPU has access to the four channels, and the CPUs can only access two channels, so while the GPU gets 12,8GB/s max theoretical bandwidth, the CPU only gets 6.4GB/s max. Bandwidth for the ipad 3's graphics subsystem is of the most importance because of the screen's very high resolution.

However, I often see that having many channels of slower memory results in higher latencies and lower performance than fewer channels of faster memory. It's probably the reason why Tegra 3 (single-channel 1066MT/s) does better in synthetic memory benchmarks than OMAP4 (dual-channel 800MT/s)

If Samsung implements a dual-channel LPDDR3 controller at 1600MHz, it would get the same theoretical bandwidth as the A5X has for the GPU, with the difference that it could get better results for using less channels for the same max theoretical bandwidth.

Thanks:smile: i got all of that except the last byte=bit? so would that mean depending on the amount of ram ie 512 megabyte or 1gb would affect the bandwidth? so 512MB/8= (1/8)bit to calculate bandwidth?:???:

EDIT; Also, what is the main difference between LPDDR,LPDDR2,LPDDR3? (low power double data rate) x2 x3? or not multiplication anything, just signifies newer version?

The bit is the smallest digital form of data. It can be either "0" or "1.
A byte is a set of 8 bits.

Bits are more often used for hardware architecture descriptions like addressing, channel width and others.
Bytes are more often used to describe the size of a digital storage.

But it's equally correct to say that 512MB of RAM is the same as having 512*8 = 4Gbits of RAM or the other way around.

The difference between using bits/bytes for a memory channel width or memory storage (volatile or not) is.. erm..
Imagine you have a building with 1024 people inside. You want to take those people to another building, and all you have is a bus /where you can fit 32 people at a time. The people you fit inside the bus is your memory channel width spec. The people you have inside the building is the memory storage spec.
Furthermore, you could say that the speed at which the bus goes and returns is the "data rate".
So for emptying the building you'd need 1024/32 = 32 travels on that single bus, and how fast you'd do it depends on how fast the bus is.

So the speed at which you can move people around depends on:
- How fast your bus is (data rate, clock speeds)
- How many people you can fit inside your bus (channel width)
- How many buses you have (number of channels)

The amount of RAM per se isn't an indicator of number of channels.. You could have 1GB RAM through a single 32bit channel or 256MB RAM through four 32bit channels, for example.

Thanks thats a very good description! right, the conversion either into byte or inversely bit is by a factor of 8 either way..now that explians what everyone was on about 4Gbit (512mb) memory sticks ;)

I now clicked on you only have to divide by 8 the whole score to find the badwidth, no need to divide the amount of memory by 8 in a seperate equation..cool.

So when Apple moves to A6X in theory they could have..using LPDDR3 1500MT/S *32*4/8= 24000MB/S thats massive, however i must have got the ram speed wrong as LPDDR3 dual channel you said 12.8, 12.8*2=25.6GB/S??

EDIT; Its 1600MT/S.cool.

However, I often see that having many channels of slower memory results in higher latencies and lower performance than fewer channels of faster memory. It's probably the reason why Tegra 3 (single-channel 1066MT/s) does better in synthetic memory benchmarks than OMAP4 (dual-channel 800MT/s)

If Samsung implements a dual-channel LPDDR3 controller at 1600MHz, it would get the same theoretical bandwidth as the A5X has for the GPU, with the difference that it could get better results for using less channels for the same max theoretical bandwidth.
Don't successive memory generations tend to have higher latencies at the same frequencies? Perhaps the increase in latency going from LPDDR2 to LPDDR3 will offset the decrease in latency going from 4 channels to 2 channels?

Tegra 3's low single channel memory latency may also more be a consequence of nVidia's better design compared to the presumably stock ARM memory controller in OMAP4 than an inherent disadvantage of 2+ memory channels. I believe Intel also criticized the memory controllers found in ARM SoCs. Anand claimed Apple designs their own memory controllers, but it's hard to tell how good it is. I don't believe Apple's memory controller designs from the PowerPC days inspire confidence, but I guess those designers were let go in the Intel transition and they have a different design team now from their acquisitions. I wonder if Samsung does their own memory controller design as well?

Right, some good news; we have a video of the Galaxy S3 in the flesh!:p
http://blog.gadgethelpline.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-leaks-real-video-pictures/

The bad news is that it confirms our worst fears, that it has a Exynos 4412 clocked at a lowly 1.4ghz, with only 1gb ram and a Mali 400mp4..

It also contains like i said it would a 4.65 720P display, but doesn't confirm whether it is a RGB or a Pentile screen, it also has NFC which you would expect, i have to say the overall speed of the UI doesn't seem to indicate any extra speed than the Galaxy note, which also carries a 1.4ghz clock speed.

The plus point is that with 4 cores and dual channel memory this beast will multitask as good or better than any other phone currently out there.
It carries a large 2000mah battery along with 4 cores to spread the load around and lower voltage, as well as being made on that advanced 32nm gate first HKMG process....2 days battery life is going to be guarenteed.

As for the design of the handset it looks completely ugly as hell, like a big brick, so ugly in fact that it must be a fake generic shell to hide that real casing which i expect to be Ceramic/alloy unibody, and with that battery come in around 8mm thick.

I was kinda hoping that we would see clock speeds hit 1.6ghz and get another 1gb ram, but twas not to be, along with the YOUM bezzle less display:cry:

I expect the build quality of this thing to be awesome, thin as hell best batterylife of anymajor smartphone outside of the Razr maxx, as well as best gaming performance and best multitasking.

Single threaded performance is going to really lag a Snapdragon S4, you can see in the video applications take a second to load, could be early software, likely to be the real deal though.

If that is not a new type of AMOLED with Gorrilla glass 2 and RGB then i wont be spending money on it me thinks, will wait till WP8.:???:

It also carries an 8mp camera, its all a bit underwhelming too be honest, all this secrecy for what appears to be the expected update, i still think they have something up their sleeve, Samsung has access to many technologies this year, it would seem a bit odd if none of them found a way into this device, even the camera is the same one from the Galalxy S2:???: bizzare to say the least.

When a sensor and lens of the camera is as small as those found in a standard smartphone, I can't really see the point in having anything higher than 8 mpix. The megapixel race in normal point and shoot digital cameras hasn't improved image quality in recent years - some older models with lower resolution sensors are still much in demand as they have better low-light performance than their successors.

I'd even go as far as saying anything higher than 5 mpix is mostly unnecessary - such a resolution is good enough for A3 prints and how often does anybody print images this large from a smartphone?

When a sensor and lens of the camera is as small as those found in a standard smartphone, I can't really see the point in having anything higher than 8 mpix. The megapixel race in normal point and shoot digital cameras hasn't improved image quality in recent years - some older models with lower resolution sensors are still much in demand as they have better low-light performance than their successors.

I'd even go as far as saying anything higher than 5 mpix is mostly unnecessary - such a resolution is good enough for A3 prints and how often does anybody print images this large from a smartphone?

When you get to 8 mega pixel yes, the most most important thing is the optics..but having a very sensor with a high quality lens has its advantages..did you check out the Nokia pure view camera? amazing.

Yeah, I know the PureView is a different concept and this is why I mentioned the sensor and lens of a standard smartphone!

I see that the latest info is that the SGS III has a lens with a F2.6 aperture, so decent, but little improvement over the SGS II.

That said, although the HTC One X has a lens with an aperture of F2.0 (which is a lot bigger than F2.6), reports are that the picture quality itself isn't that great.

Just a pity that, by design, the PureView camera mechanism has to be quite so thick in comparison to modern smartphones.

Yea i agree, i still the best camera quality on a smartphone to date is the Nokia N8..that 12mp snapper still has the biggest sensor fitted to a phone i think.

Pureview is really going to destroy the competition, the best of the high end handsets seems to be the 4s 8mp snapper, this Samsung one doesn't look anything ground breaking, in fact im quite dissapointed by the leaks, it seems the only real innovation might be the yet to be shown casing, everything else is not going to be a big improvement day to day, if that screen turns out to be the very same Pentile diplay off the Nexus then this phone will be a massive let down IMHO.

Rumour has it that the New Samsung phone will contain eye tracking technology, and even a icloud copy called S cloud..offering the exact same features 5gb, it is sure to annoy Apple even more.

Other rumours point to a complete renaming of the phone...maybe Samsung imobile, or igalaxy.:rolleyes:

Back