Samsung Galaxy S series rumours.....

Samsung Galaxy S3+... {{{Series Rumours}}}.....

This thread is for all rumours that have nothing to do with in depth discusions about the SOC of the next gen Samsung Galaxy S series ..ie Exynos...there are other threads for that purpose.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=58537
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=61620
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=61267

Things that can be included in this thread are; General SOC specs, screensize/resolution/type/... Handset design/size/materials....connectivity....software/type/features/games .....(you get the gist;))

Enjoy my fellow speculators!:p

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Galaxy s3 is out and you can find the full specifications over at gsm arena:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-4238.php

The rumours now move onto the galaxy note 2.

Some things that have been rumoured for the Galaxy note 2..i will put them down here and update with confirmed/bunked..

Last edited by a moderator:
-2 GB RAM.....? doesn't matter that much, just means more apps in memory. no one app is going to be designed to use more.
-Wireless charging....? probably not, increases thickness
-Flex AMOLED display....? why?
-Ceramic chassis....? i do believe the battery will be sealed for increased capacity and thinness
-12mp/1080p camera....? probably
-Option of dual boot/non touchwiz....? no, samsung is very proud of touchwiz
-7-8mm thin design.....? probably 8mm or so.

-2 GB RAM.....? doesn't matter that much, just means more apps in memory. no one app is going to be designed to use more.
-Wireless charging....? probably not, increases thickness
-Flex AMOLED display....? why?
-Ceramic chassis....? i do believe the battery will be sealed for increased capacity and thinness
-12mp/1080p camera....? probably
-Option of dual boot/non touchwiz....? no, samsung is very proud of touchwiz
-7-8mm thin design.....? probably 8mm or so.

Someone took the bait!:D the camera seems a lock on. as does the 8mm design...the flex display was announced by Sammy as being released this year witha a phone....that would enable bezel less displays that wrap around the sides nof the handset....
2GB ram would be very nice as well, no multitasking limit on the horrizon.

I can't really see the need for a 12 mpix sensor in a smartphone camera. The sensors themselves are so tiny (as are the lenses), you aren't getting enough light into the sensor to make such a high resolution worthwhile.

You'd be better off increasing the sensor size (as much as is possible bearing in mind the space limitations), and keeping the resolution around the 8 mpix level as a maximum. Heck, on a standard smartphone camera, I'd go as far as saying anything higher than 5 mpix doesn't really provide any benefit other than a marketing one.

The PureView sensor is obviously a totally different level to the other smartphone sensors but this is an outlier and isn't really in the same market at present.

As an aside, I saw the skydiving HTC ad for the first time the other day. The fact that HTC are pushing the photographic capabilities of the One X (and, I assume, other members of the One series) as the major selling point is interesting. I wonder if the other manufacturers will follow?

the flex display was announced by Sammy as being released this year witha a phone....that would enable bezel less displays that wrap around the sides nof the handset....
Interesting idea, I wonder when the patent on it will be issued (not that anyone should be able to get a patent on it, but that's just how it goes nowadays thanks to Apple).

As an aside, I saw the skydiving HTC ad for the first time the other day. The fact that HTC are pushing the photographic capabilities of the One X (and, I assume, other members of the One series) as the major selling point is interesting. I wonder if the other manufacturers will follow?
Yea i did mention on the other thread that HTC did some market reseach on that..which influenced there features push...still the actual quality of the sensor in the one series still lags the Nokia n8/iphone 4s/galaxy s2??...so they are not there yet....
Interesting idea, I wonder when the patent on it will be issued (not that anyone should be able to get a patent on it, but that's just how it goes nowadays thanks to Apple).
Yea it would give freedom for design...it is also made form Carbon nanotubes or something..so VERY sturdy stuff!

Update; Sammy have launched the brand YOUM for there flex displays...very strange branding..but here's some more details of how it works..
http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-youm-flexible-amoled-brand-revealed-07221993/
samsung_flexible_amoled-1.jpg

Theres an idea that if Samsung are giving someone else there quad core 4412 Xenos to launch first with it. that they have to be using something else thats better

http://androidandme.com/2012/04/smartphones-2/meizu-mx-quad-core-hints-at-galaxy-s-iii-specs/

Dual core A15 with new Mali T-604.

I am day 1 purchase on the GS3. Ive been waiting since Jan for it when my contract expired.

Its been a long old wait!!

roll on the 3rd

I would wet my Y fronts if that came to pass:p

Seriously that would be far too generous..they would be spoiling us, can you imagine having a DX11 class gpu in you PHONE!.. that would smack the 4412 all over the place..still i highly doubt it though.

I would wet my Y fronts if that came to pass:p

Seriously that would be far too generous..they would be spoiling us, can you imagine having a DX11 class gpu in you PHONE!.. that would smack the 4412 all over the place..still i highly doubt it though.

What else can the situation be?

Right, Ive just read a rumour that samsung have got one single handset into the UK. Its on 24 gaurd and is contained in a security box. (something to hide?)

They given their 4412 to someone else to use BEFORE the S3

They are setting up this phone to be their biggest ever product launch. With an event dedicated to it.

The new a15 chip went into mas production on sammys now developed 32nm process in Q2.

Do you think think if they were using 2 year old CPU tech that everyone else also had, that they would be setting it up like this?

They can do it. it is possible. And they have everything in house, so the turn arounds can be stupidly quick for them. and they can keep it all a secret easier since, they dont need to deal with anyone else.

This has to be a game changer... it has to be. If it isnt, Ill be gutted.

I bet bottle of beer it will be the dual core a15 chip with the mali 604 GPU. !

Ha yea they are cooking something BIG up no doubt about it, Sammy have never been this paranoid about anything..even Apple havnt taken to locking there precious iphone in a sodding security box!!:oops:

I had heard about a week ago that Sammy had been sending the phone to carrier testing in false generic rectangle cases..with just the innards inside concealed away, that is going to extremes, i havnt heard about a phone manufacturer doing something like this, its almost James Bond like!:p

Yea the other manufacturer getting the skinny on the processor BEFORE Sammy announcing it in their own superphone does seem strange, especially since they are going to all this trouble...saying that Sammy has never really been possesive about their in house parts...they have historically been an OEM...however this GS3 looks to be something very diffferent..there have been no solid leaks of anykind none..can't wait!:smile:

Ill wager that bottle of beer that we get the still impressive 4412...just can't imagine getting such an early christmas present meant for tablets! ;)

Ill wager that bottle of beer that we get the still impressive 4412...just can't imagine getting such an early christmas present meant for tablets! ;)

Well, if they do plastic bottled beer I could mail it to you. Or else perhaps id be willing to put a £2 bet on..

You got paypal? :)

Ha! yes i have, got to remember the details for it though! its on then:p

Right this gets better and better....

CHeck this...

http://androidandme.com/2012/04/smartphones-2/could-this-really-be-the-galaxy-s-iii-in-the-wild/

Is this the new design for the gs3? Well grab your pop corn becuase to every one who is dissapointed with that design and the size of the bezel...The Verge have this to say about it...

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/18/2...-not-accurate-name-still-unconfirmed-security

This is there dummy design for testers... apparently, final is design is nothing like that..

SECURITY IS APPARENTLY TIGHT to the point of paranoid. They are pushing harder than Apple on this one.

I am literally on the edge of my seat to find out what the hell is going to happen next.

I need a pop corn refill !!! geez I sound american... infact even just saying geeez made me sound american..

Thank god I live in the UK. DAY 1 purchase for me. !!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: does the screen look 16:9 (1280 x 720) to you? IM thinking more like 16:10 1280x800... this would put it inline with the Galaxy note if thats the case.

COuld they be developing some connection as brother and sister in their own eco system?

OK I just photoshopped a note screen onto the leak screen and found the screen is 16:9.

Which is a shame. I wanted the wider screen proportion actually,

Nevermind. Can still hope for a 4.8" 1080p screen though.... that would be quite something. Though I realise it would have to be a pentile matrix display to achieve it.

UPDATE 4: http://phandroid.com/2012/04/19/sam...xy-s-iii-vanity-url-pops-up-on-official-site/

Oh crap looks like I will owe you £2 via paypal. also rules out the 1920 x 1080p screen rumour as this has a previous gen gpu. and older a9 chips.

I am disappointed actually. I guess its not over till its over though. I cant see the point in them putting old gen tech in, when they are just about on the verge of having the next gen tech in place.

Back