Poll: What performance level will Wii U release at?

What performance level will Wii U release at?

• What's a Wii U?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Most people are going to look at screenshots and say which looks better (there is no such thing as a tie unless it's exactly the same image). The tablet isn't going to do Nintendo any favors in that regard, but that's their design choice and they are going to have to live with it.

Why cant a game basically ignore the tablet, or make a static image or something there and just concentrate on the main screen? Or maybe put a inventory or something non-demanding there I guess?

As bad as recent rumors sound about Wii U power, it might amount to spitting in a rainstorm, but hey.

I imagine at first Nintendo will mandate everybody do something unique with the tablet and blah blah all that jazz, but before long they might not be in a position to dictate much of anything.

I imagine at first Nintendo will mandate everybody do something unique with the tablet and blah blah all that jazz

I hear the WuuPad can be used as a scale...

As for the performance level of Wii U, I think most folks view of performance will solely be looking at the image on the main screen and completely forgetting about the WuuPad and what resource requirements it has. That along with basic premise that the first release of any software for any new system will never be at the height of genuine system potential (that comes years later), especially when the software is mostly ports from other systems that have been fine tuned over the last 5-7 years, will lead to an at best a case of on-par performance perception.

I think analysing/estimating actual computational cababilities would be more suitable and objective for our cause than just different camps shouting how much more impressive Zelda looks compared to Halo 4 and vice versa. I think with regards to power there is still some amount of disagreements with current and even with the previous gen, so are we all just going agree on this, when the WiiU launches? :)

I think it will be slightly more capable somewhere in the range of 1.25X.
I don't really care about next gen yet. I'm wondering what else can be done besides evolutions of what's already being done.
So if the WiiU can extend this gen for another 2-3 years for me, I'm good if it's priced at around $300.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think slight more powerful. Ultimately the next 360 and PS4 will blow it away.

Nintendo will need to find a hook for the casuals if they intend to fall well behind on the tech front again.

To be fair for casuals, you are getting close to point of diminishing returns. Sure we can tell the difference between say Skyrim on running on the 360 vs PC with all the bells and whistles but casuals don't see the finer details and frankly don't care enough. Nintendo is very conscious of that.

To be fair for casuals, you are getting close to point of diminishing returns. Sure we can tell the difference between say Skyrim on running on the 360 vs PC with all the bells and whistles but casuals don't see the finer details and frankly don't care enough. Nintendo is very conscious of that.

Do casuals go back and see the CGI in 90's movies the same as they did the first time they watched it? Not if they've seen anything more modern. When you're used to something newer you see the flaws in the older versions a lot easier. So whilst you might be hard pressed to point out a differing quantity of pixels, a differing quality is a different story for even the most casual observer.

Skyrim on the 360 and PC are essentially the same game. However Morrowind and Skyrim are also essentially the same game too. To get the most bang from more performance you need to spend more on art-work and design the game around a higher baseline. The only problem is that games are meant to be played as much as they are meant to be experienced or watched, I.E. you don't need good graphics to play Soduku. So yes casuals will notice but how much they care is another story entirely.

You both have a point.

Though Nintendo just needs to be close enough. Look at toystory 1 and 3 for example. 16 years later and while things defenitly look better, the average person probably won't say it's a extremely noticable difference. Same goes for lets say 720p to 1080p, or 4x aa to 8 or 16x times aa. Your biggest gain is going to come from 0 aa to 4x aa.

Now if wiiu is going to be able to do that or not, I don't know. Given recent rumors I doubt it. But for nintendo I hope they do. If they cant receive ps720 ports wiiu is just going to turn out like wii. No games.

Well, with the info we have, which is still waiting on some GPU and eDRAM specifics, has anyone got any ideas how we call this one?

Hmm, I missed this Poll. I think it's too early to say definitively. It's definitely weaker in some areas (CPU, main memory speed), and more powerful in others (amount of RAM, optical drive speed), or inbetween the PS3 and 360 (e.g. disc size). But as far as raw shader capabilities or other GPU stuff, I really have no idea just yet. And of course the Wii sometimes renders to that tablet screen in paralel to the main screen, which can cause some overhead, etc.

So on average, I'm getting the impression that it will be the first or second option, and just going by power consumption alone, I'm guessing it will end up more first than second ...

As long it runs the launch games enjoyable, could not care less how it compares to PS3/Xbox360... None of them are capable baking brownies while waiting the system update itself, so it does not really matter.

As long it runs the launch games enjoyable, could not care less how it compares to PS3/Xbox360... None of them are capable baking brownies while waiting the system update itself, so it does not really matter.

Well,
Actually,
Doesn't the original 60GB FAT PS3 double as A GEORGE FOREMAN GRILL?

And didn't the original XBOX 360 double as a portable home space heater?

That's what I was told anyways. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-3cgb5rJiE

Last edited by a moderator:

About that, when a Wii U game offers an update, after you accept the update you can go on playing the game while the update downloads in the background.

Back