0x10c - A Space sandbox game

fellix

Veteran
Remember all those logic machines build using Minecraft -- from simple trigger chains to a full-blown CPU with I/O interfaces? The creator of Minecraft apparently decided to take this idea in his next project.

If you think that all sounds a little nerdy, we haven't even reached the best bit: the reason the specification of the DCPU-16 processor matters is because Notch plans to emulate the chip directly within the game, giving users access to an in-game computer based on the fictional 16-bit processor.

That's something which has never before been attempted in a game. While titles like Uplink have provided users with an in-game computer system, it's all smoke and mirrors; 0x10c, by contrast, will provide gamers with access to a fully-working virtual computer system for which they could - in theory - write their own code.

"The computer in the game is a fully functioning emulated 16-bit CPU that can be used to control your entire ship,' Notch explains, 'or just to play games on while waiting for a large mining operation to finish."

It's something with which Notch has previous experience: much to his surprise, hackers found a method of implementing simple processors and even entire computing systems in his block-based game Minecraft - a concept he's now looking to take to the next level.
Article source

DCPU-16 machine/ISA specs

DCPU-16 simple assembly code

so whats different to writing mods then, apart from being limited to he ship computer?
and its not a next concept, there have been scripting languages within games long ago (cant remember the name but it had tanks with customizable AI fight each other), some "graphical" programming in games like B.A.T. 2... and I dont see what advantages running a virtual CPU would have over a scripting language

well, its something simple yet exhausting... kinda like doing simple annoying things like your taxes but instead of using pen&paper to get it done in a efficient and useful manner, you use nothing but your fingernails to carve it into a wooden plank?

Heck I always wondered what the gamer-equivalent of S&M looked like :LOL:

True but they don't have to write assembly code in the new game either. It's just a part of the sandbox, not the main tool.

Back