The Next-gen Situation discussion *spawn

i keep always remember a long time ago it was said ea had battlefield 3 running at pc high settings 1080p, 30 fps on durango. this was in context of durango not necessarily being as powerful as wanted.

i look at crysis 2 which runs well on my 4890 rig, at high or highest settings mostly 30 fps, it should look fantastic on durango. ditto bf3, which my 4890 can also surprisingly actually run at mostly ultra settings 30 fps campaign.

just those facts actually make me pretty damn excited for durango. considering how shit optimized pc games are. throw in a 8 core cpu and 5gb ram, the rest of the specs are there too.

my 4890 is 800 shaders factory overclocked to 925 mhz i think, but the roughly 7770 in durango should easily outpower it due to gcn. and have tesselation, etc.

your 4890 is quite an old dx 10 card. If you take the same $300-$400 and buy a new video card in the fall do you not think that battlefield 3 and crisis 2 will run better on it than Durango ?

your 4890 is quite an old dx 10 card. If you take the same $300-$400 and buy a new video card in the fall do you not think that battlefield 3 and crisis 2 will run better on it than Durango ?

sure, but like i say crysis 2 looks a whole lot better on my pc than my 360.

and there's no way durango wont be more powerful than my pc.

all i'm saying is that bodes well really.

with a little optimization pc maxed versions of stuff like bf3 and crysis 2 should practically work out of the box at 1080p. thats pretty cool. of course the real ground up next gen stuff will look a whole lot better.

What do you guys think about the next PS Home being on streamed with Gaikai? It would load a lot faster I know,but can it be done that way with lots of users?

I don't know... I don't see any insurmountable gap so far, despite my feeling that MS and Sony may have special cards on their hands. They both have a lot of goodies in their intellectual warehouse. ^_^

It's likely down to the softer factors and preferences.

Both will be a good jump from PS360, so Durango won't be like the Wii or Wii U, where they seem dated on launch date. Just hinges on how interested people are in the OS + Kinect + Live services etc. If they just want straight up gaming, it'll be a tough sell. Market share can shift quickly. The good thing for MS, is people in North America seem to like their services, and they have a good number of Live subscribers tied in that will be resistant to changing brands (online friends they've made over the last gen etc.) Personally, I'd have no issue jumping ship if the other product suits my wants better ;) The interesting part of the Durango launch is going to be when they talk about software and peripherals.

What do you guys think about the next PS Home being on streamed with Gaikai? It would load a lot faster I know,but can it be done that way with lots of users?

As in scalable ? Yes. The existing Home concept is partitioned into rooms/spaces of 32-64 concurrent users. It adds or removes rooms as people join and leave.

However, Sony will incur a lot of cost running the Gaikai servers though. So I fully expect them to charge for a Gaikai PS Home even if PS3 Home is free now. I hope they revamp the ugly and generic character design.

For a light weight implementation, I am a big fan of the XMB chatroom. Basically, any user can invite their friends to the chatroom, so on and so forth. There is no central management/registration of the room. The (common) room info is kept completely on the clients' machines. It opens when someone joins. The room auto-shutdowns when there's no one in it. It's a great way to accommodate a huge group of users (like Gaf users).

The only problem is when we hit the concurrent user limit. The XMB chatroom requires us to create a new room and circulate it explicitly. I'd hope that Sony can implement an overflow mechanism automatically.

Offical marketing has not yet started and everyone is already talking about secret sauce!

That's because we are bored ! And past console designs were always quirky. :D

That said, I might disappear for months again by end of the week.
[size=-20]Hopefully someone send me leaked documents again. :runaway:[/size]

GTA4 was badly CPU limited but if you had a quad core I don't think it needed a crazy amount of GPU power to run at console settings (the in game graphics options in GTA4 scaled to crazy levels - way beyond the capabilities of the best PC's or consoles at it's launch)

Rockstar blame piracy on PC for GT4's lackluster sales on the platform but it was purely down to the fact that no one bought it because it ran like shit and was a piss poor attempt at a port.

We'll see if they've learned there lesson with the port of the 5th game.

Halo ran great on PC's back in the day. I remember running it on my Ti 4200 at 1024x768 with great frame rates. That GPU wasn't hugely beyond the XGPU. MGS2 also ran perfectly on that GPU but that's obviously a fair bit higher spec than the PS2. I guess you'd have to consider how well it runs on a GF2 and of that I have no idea.

GTA4 was badly CPU limited but if you had a quad core I don't think it needed a crazy amount of GPU power to run at console settings (the in game graphics options in GTA4 scaled to crazy levels - way beyond the capabilities of the best PC's or consoles at it's launch)

I just did a quick google and got a quick confirmation of what i remembered, Halo PC was a heavy load for most PC's back then, i am sure top end high spec'd etc would have had an easier time but as i remember it, the PC's that ran other games just fine struggled. I think it was the same for MSG, but maybe i am confusing that with the XBOX version..

I ran GTA4 on a Quad Core but was limited by my Graphics card, it was a pig, yeah i bought it both for the PS3 and PC :)

I think when Halo launched on PC it was a huge resource hog, but a patch later on improved the performance dramatically, but googling such old stuff is a bit annoying, so I won't bother :)

I think when Halo launched on PC it was a huge resource hog, but a patch later on improved the performance dramatically, but googling such old stuff is a bit annoying, so I won't bother :)

It was because they moved it to DX9 and increased the precission of most of the FP stuff, that raped the GPU's of the time.

Didn't run too bad in DX8

Regerds home, I have heard from an insider that Home will not be on PS4 as is. That is, content created for Home cannot expect to be present on PS4. Gaikai would be an approach to solve that, but I expect Sony to revise the whole platform. Make Home agnostic, somewhere you visit on PS4, Vita, PC and tablet. Gaikai would also hope there. Then again, everything I expect Sony to do as a business sense, they don't as a business nonsense. :p

If these specs are reasonably concrete, are there any estimates on a launch RRP? I couldn't see this pushing a $499 launch system.

Yes, I would expect that too. There is a lot of content in Home though - I am surprised how often there are updates to Home still, even if I don't know anyone who currently really visits Home. Personally I would also use it more though if I did a lot of online gaming, because with the party chat and launching from Home it's pretty decent.

But certainly I would hope that Sony went into the next generation with a redesign of Home at the very least, if they continue it at all (but Home I think has been profitable for them and their partners, so it doesn't seem unlikely)

If these specs are reasonably concrete, are there any estimates on a launch RRP? I couldn't see this pushing a $499 launch system.

I guess it depends on how much Kinect 2.0 costs, without it, they could probably hit $299. My guess is two SKUs at $349 and $449.

Come on this has to settle down. I still can never understand why specifications, which lets be honest the vast majority don't fully understand get posters so worked up. When these consoles are launched, if want to play the next unchartered game you have no choice but to buy the Orbis, if you want Halo, its Durango the rest of the 3rd party games will be on both and I bet my last pound they will look remarkably similar no matter what the platform.

I thought the mantra was here and elsewhere that big exclusive games by 2nd and 3rd parties are a thing of the past because of the cost factor involved. So these consoles will mostly be driven by multi platform titles and few signature vendor games.
Under that assumption I would say how these consoles perform with multi platform titles will have a bigger influence on the buying decision than previous generation.

I haven't seen anything which says Kinect 2.0 is going to be required with every console purchase. Also is it proved that we aren't going to see a SKU which has flash memory instead of a rotating HDD?

sure, but like i say crysis 2 looks a whole lot better on my pc than my 360.

and there's no way durango wont be more powerful than my pc.

all i'm saying is that bodes well really.

with a little optimization pc maxed versions of stuff like bf3 and crysis 2 should practically work out of the box at 1080p. thats pretty cool. of course the real ground up next gen stuff will look a whole lot better.

My point is that the pc is clearly capable of doing these feats for awhile. A console that will cost as much as a mid to high range video card doing it years later isn't exciting.

When the 360 came out it was running games that the pc hardware of the time had trouble running. So while the 360 may not have run oblivion perfectly the pcs weren't either.

Now if I want to max out crisis 2 in dx 11 mode video cards are doing that. The same with BF3. A late 2013 video card will be capable of even more not to mention the fact that the pc will see all the benfits from next gen console increases .

I haven't seen anything which says Kinect 2.0 is going to be required with every console purchase. Also is it proved that we aren't going to see a SKU which has flash memory instead of a rotating HDD?

Flash memory is still expensive sadly. A 120gig ssd is still about $80-$100 retail and a 120 gig drive is not big enough for next gen consoles.

Flash memory is still expensive sadly. A 120gig ssd is still about $80-$100 retail and a 120 gig drive is not big enough for next gen consoles.

16GB-32GB ought to be large enough so long as they can sustain read speeds in the order of 50MB/S. Nintendo only charges an extra $50 for a 32GB premium SKU so the price difference surely can't be too bad.

Back