The Next-gen Situation discussion *spawn

Stop jumping to conclusions.

There is nothing so far that points to Orbis being the more powerful console besides some 50% advantage in raw GPU flops, an advantage that RSX also shared over Xenos last generation.

Bkilian also hinted that flop comparison is meaningless between consoles. So stop cherry picking his points to fit your premature agenda.
You're the one cherry picking. All credible rumors so far point to the same architecture for both, this is nothing like the RSX situation. Even more so if the rumor of DDR3 versus GDDR5 is true.
(unless you can tell us what the secret sauce is?)

There is nothing so far that points to Orbis being the more powerful console besides some 50% advantage in raw GPU flops, an advantage that RSX also shared over Xenos last generation.

Bkilian also hinted that flop comparison is meaningless between consoles. So stop cherry picking his points to fit your premature agenda.
Yea, nothing points in that direction except the fact that its GPU has considerably more shading performance. RSX didn't have FLOPS advantage actually, thats common misconception. Xenos had more FLOPS, though that comparison doesn't really work since both GPUs have different architecture and different manufacturer.

This time we have same GPU core, made by the same company so I wouldn't expect miracles, neither should you.

Bkilian hinted alot, he also said the difference in FLOPs this gen didn't really help PS3. But this time PS3 had theoretical advantage only in CPU part, one that is much less important than GPU one. It also had skewed memory design and bandwidth problems that were harder to solve than on MS console. Nothing that they will have problems with this time around (in comparison to MS that is).

This time we have same GPU core, made by the same company so I wouldn't expect miracles, neither should you.

Bkilian hinted alot, he also said the difference in FLOPs this gen didn't really help PS3. But this time PS3 had theoretical advantage only in CPU part, one that is much less important than GPU one. It also had skewed memory design and bandwidth problems that were harder to solve than on MS console. Nothing that they will have problems with this time around (in comparison to MS that is).

This is again, jumping into conclusions.

LOL. What does that even have to do with the discussion? That said I forgot about the AMD hype just that quick. It was laughable then and and just as much now. Don't tell you me believed that?

Because they said that about all of the other consoles too. Not only that but Durango was supposed to be a beast (from many, many, many sources except you) and now it's just barely ready for next gen. You seriously expect people to believe that garbage? Seriously?

What did they do, gimp it in the last six months? They wasted a ton of money getting so many people involved from AMD (a serious project that was the priority at AMD and have entire units of people), IBM and Microsoft to build this thing and it's just a small step up from the 360. Seriously?

What kind of idiots do you think we are? FFS Dude, be real!

This is again, jumping into conclusions.
Well, if you think that AMD came up with all new and revolutionary design just for Durango like they did with 360, than I would say you are dreaming. Nothing points out in that direction and we already had several people (Sweetvar26 for example) saying both console use 7770-7850 as base for their GPU.

You just have to read between the lines. Next gen won't be all that big leap forward. Carmack already said that when you up resolution to 1080p and frame rate to 60fps you pretty much maxed out next generation consoles. And thats how it looks like, at least for Durango.

*Note, I'm going by numbers that are given (albeit rumored) and that majority seems to agree with

Because they said that about all of the other consoles too. Not only that but Durango was supposed to be a beast (from many, many, many sources except you) and now it's just barely ready for next gen. You seriously expect people to believe that garbage? Seriously?

What did they do, gimp it in the last six months? They wasted a ton of money getting so many people involved from AMD (a serious project that was the priority at AMD and have entire units of people), IBM and Microsoft to build this thing and it's just a small step up from the 360. Seriously?

What kind of idiots do you think we are? FFS Dude, be real!

:LOL:

I like your passion.

Nothing? Even assuming the CPUs and bandwidth is largely even, the GPU has 50% more CUs and FLOPS. And RSX and Xenos were different architectures (and Xenos had more FLOPS), this time they're going to be pretty much the same.

Bkilian hinted that FLOPS are not a good metric for evaluating system performance, particularly in comparison to PC GPUs, he never hinted that 720 will be as powerful as the PS4.

Or that the special sauce will make up the FLOPS deficit, in fact he said not to take his posts out of context to imply that the special sauce will provide a magical boost to the graphical capabilities of Durango.

I'm simply saying that since each console was designed without knowledge of the other, we have no reason to expect them to just as powerful as the other (this gen was an exception).

Sony is going more after traditional gamers, while MS is clearly going after a broader audience, heavily pushing Kinect and Windows integration - and the specs of each system matches their focus..

when i see more detailed games than halo 4 and in 1080p/60fps, and racing games with cars during the game that look like autovista models, i think i'll be happy whatever the specs are.

Nothing? Even assuming the CPUs and bandwidth is largely even, the GPU has 50% more CUs and FLOPS. And RSX and Xenos were different architectures (and Xenos had more FLOPS), this time they're going to be pretty much the same.

Bkilian hinted that FLOPS are not a good metric for evaluating system performance, particularly in comparison to PC GPUs, he never hinted that 720 will be as powerful as the PS4.

Or that the special sauce will make up the FLOPS deficit, in fact he said not to take his posts out of context to imply that the special sauce will provide a magical boost to the graphical capabilities of Durango.

I'm simply saying that since each console was designed without knowledge of the other, we have no reason to expect them to just as powerful as the other (this gen was an exception).

Sony is going more after traditional gamers, while MS is clearly going after a broader audience, heavily pushing Kinect and Windows integration - and the specs of each system matches their focus..

Last paragraph is an assumption.

when i see more detailed games than halo 4 and in 1080p/60fps, and racing games with cars during the game that look like autovista models, i think i'll be happy whatever the specs are.
I didn't wait for 8 years just to play Halo 4 in 1080p, I'm sorry. This is why I think consoles don't have future, they are stagnating.

You have to give Agnis from the get go, and totally surpass it by the end of the gen. Thats obviously not going to happen, alot of developers went overboard with tech demo and it made them withdraw some features of their engines when they found out there won't be enough power in next gen consoles to run them.

Everybody talks how Crytek will be happy with 8 gigs and everything is fine and dandy. Well, Crytek also asked for 4x570gtx and we all know how will that end :p

Thats why I said I wouldn't expect either of the two GPU's to be imbalanced. I would expect both console GPU's to have the appropriate number of texture units and ROPs to fully take advantage of their design.
Exactly. Some people assume MS is going to have ROPs, bandwidth and fillrate advantage and then everything will be comparable. It sounds to me as wishful thinking.

What I think happened was this. MS had clear vision of their next gen. Next gen that will give nice bump in graphics, and much nicer bump in multimedia and home entertainment integration with other systems, kinect and tablets.

Sony wanted nicer bump in graphics, and multimedia features that will surely serve purpose, but they will probably fall short from Durango (and thats only because of RAM issue, not CPU/GPU thing).

When they started working on the consoles neither knew what their competitor where doing, they had their own goals. MS probably knew Sony will want to have solid hardware (they implied as much in presentation), but they wouldn't go overboard just to match it. Sony probably seen where MS is turning their head at and had sign of relief that they won't have to put company on line just to beat them on hardware front.

Last time everybody (MS included) knew what Sony plans were. Cell was to be very customized and powerful chip, and they would go with best memory available. They had to match it, they had no choice. This time, they have choice since market is changed and they are betting on different things. It will be interesting to see how it turns out, thats for sure.

Back