The Next-gen Situation discussion *spawn

It's been going back and forth for months, just the latest stupid rumor from a completely made up story, and it switches again.

Yes, that's what I feel, each new rumor change the mind of all.

Nothing. The 1.8 and 1.2 numbers were known. Whispers have still said devs prefer and are more excited about Durango. No new information has been added. We're just treating existing rumors as fact after 1 article. You'd think people would at least wait for the supposed CVG Durango article.

The 1.8 came from vgleaks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses to my question earlier.

The homogeneity is a positive thing to me as it should keep dev costs and schedules in check as it becomes easier to port. Hopefully that's a more positive environment moving forward.

I agree.

PS4 seems alright.

XB720 is flat out weird.

This brings back memories. :LOL:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1648090#post1648090

Nextbox will be port buddies with the Wii U, thus leaving Orbis to hang by itself.

:LOL:

Yes, that's what I feel, each new rumor change the mind of all.

I don't think there's any big change in opinion. Most people here didn't really believe in any of the previous rumors. They were just speculations and extended discussions.

Even for Eurogamer's PS4 specs, I believe some are waiting for more info about the new SIMD engine, if it's there. We may have to hear from Sony directly about the full specs, and even so they may not reveal all secret sauce.

First year is all about hardcore gamers and great visuals, not turning on my TV with voice command.
Seriously, I really don't understand what the hell they are thinking of doing. Seems like their situation is not exactly flattering, but I doubt they are caught by the specs from Sony, this was something expected.

But what about all those engineers from MS/IBM/AMD , what are they doing ?
Having pizza and beer all day ? :LOL:

Yeah I've always presumed their next box would run metro apps, there's no real reason for it not to. That would be great as it's a new large market for my apps, and also gives me an excuse to buy an Xbox 720 to test on :) It may be that metro apps run at the same time as regular games, which is perhaps why they are reserving such a large chunk of memory for them just in case.

So, kinect 2 with enough resolution for a 720 gamer on the couch to move his finger in the air to drive the metro touch interface minority report style?

So, kinect 2 with enough resolution for a 720 gamer on the couch to move his finger in the air to drive the metro touch interface minority report style?

I guess what we have to consider is that Kinect 2 will only be about 3 years newer than the original Kinect and likely will have to be cheaper since its (probably) going to be included in the core price of the console. Thus, while we can expect improvements they certainly arn't going to be console generation level improvements.

That said, the level of resolution your talking about wouldn't suprise me. I think response time is more important to focus on though. Hopefully technology improvements will allow for both. That excites me!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-orbis-unmasked-what-to-expect-from-next-gen-console

I can't really believe this. Right now windows 8 on my pc with a bunch of things running is at 3.5GB of ram. So unless MS is putting full windows 8 on every Durango something has to be wrong with the OS numbers.

While it's a rumour, it's actually plausible because:
1) DDR3 is cheap and it's ok to have 8GB
2) 5GB is plenty for games, especially when PS4 have less
3) The next console should last 5-10 years. It's probably a good idea to reserve more in case Windows 10 or 11 needs it.

What about a over the air mid life update to durango? Enabling more ram and clock increases mid lifecycle to every console?

My wet dream and based off some current rumours is 8 jaguar cores and hd 8770 would be amazing for either console...just imagine the performace coded to the metal :)

How about a controller that has an optional touchscreen? Similar to Dreamcast's VMU? The touchscreen would need to be a lot smaller(not VMU size), but less than Wii U. Maybe a full touchscreen that snaps on like Xbox 360 Chatpad. They could then offer larger controllers with a larger integrated touchscreen ala Wii U too, but the standard controller will have the touchscreen as optional accessory.

Tommy McClain

I was thinking more like you use your Win8 phone/tablet touch screen to use metro apps on the 720, or maybe they offer an optional touchpad for the console for those that don't have a Win 8 touch device already. I figure why reinvent the wheel, they already have Win8 based touch devices out there so may as well mate them to the 720. There's always the option of course to add gamepad support to metro apps so they would work with a standard controller.

I guess what we have to consider is that Kinect 2 will only be about 3 years newer than the original Kinect and likely will have to be cheaper since its (probably) going to be included in the core price of the console. Thus, while we can expect improvements they certainly arn't going to be console generation level improvements.

That said, the level of resolution your talking about wouldn't suprise me. I think response time is more important to focus on though. Hopefully technology improvements will allow for both. That excites me!

Well, if they could make kinect work with some kind of wide-angle lense, they might not need the motor to adjust the camera. That would save some money and complexity in manufacture. Kinect has some shitty cameras in it, so that should be a cheap and easy upgrade. I don't know if they need to do much to upgrade the mic array. Maybe, but probably not much. In terms of how well it works, well that's addressed by the console itself, where all of the processing is done, especially if the console has some kind of dedicated hardware that can accelerate kinect. (maybe some of the mystery hardware?) It would make sense because it would be usefull to make sure kinect games do not lack in the graphics department (not using gpu resources for kinect purposes). Assuming every xbox comes with kinect, it would make sense to do that, especially if kinect is pervasive through the OS with both voice and gesturing available at all times.

What Metro apps?

Well, all of them of course. I just as much want to be able to run my metro games on my 720 console as I do my non game metro apps like Skype, Xbox Music, Skymap, Popcorn Time, ABC Player, Tunein, etc... On my current Win 8 devices I log in with my account and I can install all my metro apps. I presume the 720 will be the same.

Come on, many companies regretted laughing at Microsoft. They may be weak now, but businesses, even Apple and Google, can't afford to ignore them.

I wish we knew when MS was coming out with their specs for the "Real" Xbox 720. They are hiding things pretty well. Not even Eurogamer has any idea of the specs of what MS has on their console.

It's possible some people have old information that is outdated. Some people might have old API's for another xbox version. Some people might have alpha dev kit specs.

That is why I think 1.25 Single Floating point TF is very basic for 2013/2014. There has to be more to this.

Don't forget about price.. you can't have top-of-the-line hardware for $400.00

-M

Don't forget about price.. you can't have top-of-the-line hardware for $400.00

-M

I disagree with this. PC hardware isn't really optimized like consoles. Even now a lot of PC titles don't even take advantage of D3D 10 let alone 11. I am sure they will in the future though.

If you build a system from scratch specifically for console gaming and you own the API, there is a lot you can do that PC's can't for a cheaper price.

My Nvidia 670 GTX should only cost around $200, but Nvidia want's to get some money, so they charge $400 for it because people will buy it. I am happy with it because it eats all 3D really well with my Ivy Bridge 3770k processor.

Was a joke, about the state of W8 apps at the moment.

Ah ok. Well that's great that others skip on making metro apps, it gives me a chance to get established. My two simple metro games make $40/day and that's with Win 8 having just ~1.5% market share so I'm not complaining :) If the Xbox 720 runs metro apps then even better, more audience for me. Keeping my fingers crossed but with amd cores and 8gb of ram it seems like a lock.

Back